Average Male Height By Country Updated (official data)Scientific research:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From interview with V .Garastas
    Nowadays players are real athletes - very fast, powerful etc -everyone can dunk. But Years ago i used to ask players if they can reach the hoop.
    In the fifties Zalgiris did not have player above 200 cm and nowadays in Lithuanian league there are about 50 percent of them (taller than 200 cm)
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Lietuvis View Post

The first is that people from warmer climates are typically shorter than those from colder climates. I am 6ft in height and it is quite obvious when you do travel to a location you can feel either shorter or taller based on the general populus around you. I found when I was in Spain, Italy, Chile, Australia I was much taller than the average Joe. When I travelled through northern europe I feel quite short especially walking through places like Copenhagen airport

?
      one posibility i think for northen europ could be that thay don't have many 7 footers but also no shorty's. that i herd from croatian sport's comentator on basketball match croatia-sweeden.

it is not clime because like beva said dalmatia, hercegovina and montenegro has meditteran climate. also i red that Drnis (small stojko vrankovic city) is place with tallest average by male and female for city's
      Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by tpraseri View Post
        Sorry,no link for Lebanon(My reference is an article about height in a book of anthropometry)the avg is increasing in Lebanon:
        (20-25years)avg is 176.5 (26-30years avg is 175.7) So in 2007-2008 the avg of Lebanon is 176.2(20-30years)

Yes, I am trying to use only official sources...
        That's true . I'm 6'1 (186 cm) and I used to consider my height as above average but now with many of these young teenagers all growing quite tall, i'm reconsidering that

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
          That's true . I'm 6'1 (186 cm) and I used to consider my height as above average but now with many of these young teenagers all growing quite tall, i'm reconsidering that

You're tall in Lebanon(10 cm above the avg-younger)...The average always increases max. 2cm per decade(entire population) and 3 cm per decade (younger) and the average will not increase forever:In Norway the avg stoped in 180 cm since 1990:
          Look here:

In the Denmark and Sweden the avg is not increasing too.

Comment

Montenegro deleted:according to this very good pdf avg height of Montenegrins is 176,3,Bosnia-179,5 herzegovina 180,7(living in Vojvodina-Serbia)

Last edited by tpraseri; 04-02-2009, 10:06 PM.

Comment

It would be interesting to go back to that "how tall are you thread" and see the avg height of countries based on members in here. Since we're all bball related that would probably bring better results for every country (though i have a feeling bulgaria would top the list with just a couple of ibn members- unless nikoo is a dwarf)
              sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Originally posted by tpraseri View Post
                You're tall in Lebanon(10 cm above the avg-younger)...The average always increases max. 2cm per decade(entire population) and 3 cm per decade (younger) and the average will not increase forever:In Norway the avg stoped in 180 cm since 1990:
                Look here:

In the Denmark and Sweden the avg is not increasing too.
                Thanks. The reason why I'm mentioning this is that the height surge in Lebanon has been quite noticeable and the perfect example for this would be the average height for our basketball teams in the league.
                15 years ago we rarely had any Lebanese centers above 200 cm (Most of our centers were between 195-200 cm). Nowadays u can find quite a few players above 200 cm, where most of our Lebanese centers are between 202-206 cm.

Comment

Hey TPRaseri great research! Great there are other people who are obsessed with stats out there haha . Can I ask you a few questions, please?:

- Do you have any idea if in France, Portugal and in Spain people are shorter in the south than they are in the north? (It is definitely true for Italy, right?). Im wondering about southern France in particular.

- Are people in rural areas really shorter than in the city? Or is this not a general rule that holds true for all countries, but rather for developping countries (because theyre usually poorer, too)?

- http://diario.iol.pt/noticias/portug...11444-291.html ...I dont understand this source (which you posted for portuguese, I think) but it says the French are 1,75m tall not 1,76m?

PS: I cant believe I could actually take that screen name with the > LOL. Kobe Fans dont hate, I think he's a great player, I just dont think hell be better than MJ (esp. when it comes to game winning shots), but im willing to let him surprise me positively!

Comment

According to this, average male height in Dinarides (with an accent on Herzegovina) is 186 cm:

Translated, title of story is: 'Story of Herzegovinian giants, tallest people on Earth'...

That number seems very probable to me...

And tpraseri, Vojvodina is in Northern Serbia, and that sample is too small to be correct... Youngers in Herzegovina are really tall, that's all I can say...
                    I changed my signature, now it says something completely different!

Comment

"Lancé en 2003, la nouvelle campagne de mensurations lancée par l’Union Française des Industries de l’habillement (Ufih) a permis de mesuré plus de 11 500 hommes et femmes âgés de 5 à 70 ans dans 37 sites."

------> This reads that they took the measurements of 11 500 men and women BETWEEN THE AGE OF 5 AND 70.

LOL, it doesn't really make sense (to take measurements of "men" and "women" who are 5,6,7, etc. years old LOL). However how did you differentiate between 20-30 year olds and general population for the two different measurements for the French?

I cant read anything about that in the source on France?

Comment

Originally posted by MJ>KOBE View Post
                        Hey TPRaseri great research! Great there are other people who are obsessed with stats out there haha . Can I ask you a few questions, please?:

- Do you have any idea if in France, Portugal and in Spain people are shorter in the south than they are in the north? (It is definitely true for Italy, right?). Im wondering about southern France in particular.

- Are people in rural areas really shorter than in the city? Or is this not a general rule that holds true for all countries, but rather for developping countries (because theyre usually poorer, too)?

- http://diario.iol.pt/noticias/portug...11444-291.html ...I dont understand this source (which you posted for portuguese, I think) but it says the French are 1,75m tall not 1,76m?

PS: I cant believe I could actually take that screen name with the > LOL. Kobe Fans dont hate, I think he's a great player, I just dont think hell be better than MJ (esp. when it comes to game winning shots), but im willing to let him surprise me positively!

Yes,but in the year 1999-2000!According to secular trend the average nowadays is 176 cm(You need to calculate) in France.In the same source you will find Spain 174(175 nowadays) and Portugal 172(173,5 nowadays).

Yes,in rural areas people are shorter.Height is an indicator of life quality.In Spain,Italy and France people are shorter because of genetic and life quality(nutrition-more proteins).The asians are taller nowadays because they have more proteins in your diet.The upper class is taller in the most part of the countries (unless in Scandinavia and Netherlands,the life quality is basically the she same for entire population)
                        Last edited by tpraseri; 04-04-2009, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beva View Post
                          According to this, average male height in Dinarides (with an accent on Herzegovina) is 186 cm:

Translated, title of story is: 'Story of Herzegovinian giants, tallest people on Earth'...

That number seems very probable to me...

And tpraseri, Vojvodina is in Northern Serbia, and that sample is too small to be correct... Youngers in Herzegovina are really tall, that's all I can say...
                          Yes, in herzegovina people are very tall... but I don't know what is the average height of the entire country (including Bosnia).If you find a source I will include.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ>KOBE View Post
                            "Lancé en 2003, la nouvelle campagne de mensurations lancée par l’Union Française des Industries de l’habillement (Ufih) a permis de mesuré plus de 11 500 hommes et femmes âgés de 5 à 70 ans dans 37 sites."

------> This reads that they took the measurements of 11 500 men and women BETWEEN THE AGE OF 5 AND 70.

LOL, it doesn't really make sense (to take measurements of "men" and "women" who are 5,6,7, etc. years old LOL). However how did you differentiate between 20-30 year olds and general population for the two different measurements for the French?

I cant read anything about that in the source on France?
                            Yes,this source is very confuse(I put because the value is very close to the value finded in my calculations).But according to other sources (Look the source of Portugal and Spain-conscripts)in the year 2000 avg in France was 175cm, I calculate 176cm nowadays according to the growth rate in France(1 cm per decade)

Comment

Hey...thanks for the reply.

You didnt adress the question that is the most interesting to myself, if you have any idea of this, I'd appreciate if you can reply to it:

Are people in southern France shorter than those in Northern France?

Apparently this phenomenon (people in the South being shorter than in the North) is true for quite a few countries in Europe (Italy and Spain). But is it true for France, too?

EDIT: LOL, nice we posted in the exact same minute!

EDIT EDIT: I've been thinking it might have to do something with mediterranean genes or something (the North>South thing), but I just realized a tall girl I know who always had trouble finding tall enough guys raved about Hamburg (Northern Germany) and there being more tall men than here (I live in Bavaria).

Comment

I have another question: Is it normal for people getting taller as decades go by? I mean people tend to excersize less, use more the mind and fingers, sit alot more... Does nutrition alone justify the growth by decade? Does this mean that avg height in 200 years will be 2m and in 500 years 2,30m? I would hold for normal a growth in head size and declining of body size as centuries go by. I am no scientist though
                                sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information