This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaj View Post
    Slovenia and Italy are the only countries which officially declared their bids for Eurobasket 2013. The decision which country among those two will get the organization, will be given out on FIBA Europe assembly in November or December 2010. (source: Slovenian Basketball Federation)

Our people said the cost for organizing such event would be around 5.9M€, of which they want our government to give 1.2M€. If government says yes, there are no obsticales not to organize this in Slovenia...
    Too bad. I wish that for 2015 neither country would bid so those idiots wouldn't have much choice other then canceling it and move to a 4 year format.
    Anyway, go Slovenia, worthy host with the new Ljubljana arena.

Comment

Hosting an EC in Slovenia is a waste for basketball...

I won't mention some good old examples that were as wastefull or even more...

one 12.500 arena, one 5.500... and what... potentialy two renovated 5000+ capacity arena's and that's it?
      Basketball is supposed to be a no.2 sport in europe and 5000 capacity arenas are supposed to be enough?
      Let Norway host it, I am sure they can manage 4 500 seated HS gyms and the number of basketball player will rise drasticaly there, at least for 500%!!!!
      ...namely from 10 to 50
      (considering the history, we can't exclude that's the way some Luxemburgs basketball official representing Fiba Europe actually sees things...)

...on the second thought, I don't see Italy bringing in much more than that as I suppose group stages won't be in Torino, Milano, Rome and Bologna, but in some noticably smaller venues instead.
      All praise to FibaEurope!!! it's as if the organisation would be run by some eastern-european politically selected CEO's... you see guys, eastern europe isn't all that bad, they might as well run it better than that, not exclusively for the money laundry as even they can't be as incapable.

Screw all that, make a minimal capacity and infrastructure rules as UEFA does. I still can't forget NT Slovenia playing vs. Czechs in a cement gym, with players on court earning 20mio$+ per year, with 200 attendance (the gym WAS actualy packed)... indeed that's a way to popularise sport my backyard might as well be a better suited venue

as for the 24 teams at the EC... finaly.
      Basketball needs to be popularised and if we stay with 16 teams, it might as well be 6 ex-Yu and other teams... later we can found "Balkaniada" throw in Greece and Turkey, call army on the games for security reasons... and I doubt anyone would miss EC from that area

apart from standard 14 teams
      Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Russia, Turkey, Greece, Lithuania, Latvia, Israel and soon to get there Montenegro... teams as BiH, FYROM, UK, Poland, Georgia, Ucraine... although able to upset quite some standard EC teams, most of the time won't get a chance... while others although they won't neccesarily represent a force might do at least better on the long run.

Not to mention the marketing stand point, which basketball as no.2 european sport should pursue...
      Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
      That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Italy dropped their bid, so now only Slovenia is left as a potential host.

Will Slovenia be able to host a tournament with 24 teams? It would be funny if no one wants to host the games and we simply do not have a Eurobasket.
        http://basketballfuture.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by hagakure View Post
          Italy dropped their bid, so now only Slovenia is left as a potential host.

Will Slovenia be able to host a tournament with 24 teams? It would be funny if no one wants to host the games and we simply do not have a Eurobasket.
          If no-one wants it, we'll host another one!

Comment

We'll host it don't worry even if i have to host a game in my living room we will host it lol.

Two awesome EBs are coming one in Lithuania and one in Slovenia. This will be great for the sport.

I predict that the EB in Slovenia will be the most visited EB to date. You will have the home crowd obviously, then you will have the Liths who travel everywhere ofc. and the Spanish fans who also make it everywhere, some Israeli fans as well. But the biggest difference maker will be the Croatian and Serbain fans who will be able to make the EB because it will be so close. May be even some Bosnian and Montenegrin fans make it.

Its gonna be awesome, i can't wait.
            My homage to The heroes:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

Fiba delegation ended their 1st tour. Liked the ammount and quality of hotel capacities, approved Stožice and Zlatorog (home of Celje handball team) arena, while at least 2 other objects will have to be build for the occasion.

The biggest exclamation in the media are 8 millions € Fiba demands for organizing this event. After some negotiation they've lowered it to 6.5 millions, while after the payment was 3 millions only in Poland and reportedly Lithuania quite some basketball authorities are raging for aditional lowering of the fee.

As far as I am concerned, that's still "some change" for an event like this, but on the other hand I understand the oposition point of view. Fiba is reportedly the only federation that actually demands a fee for organizing such event, handball federation for example reportedly even pays to organizers for organising the event.
              No dissrespect to handball, but considering Fiba also holds TV right revenues... Let's be honest, event like eurobasket is a gold mine when it comes to TV rights, hanball can't compare to. Whenever there is a WC with team US with some NBA stars and China with Yao... you might as well double that EC TV revenues...

Does anyone has any idea what does Fiba actually do with their money, if the organiser pays for TV production, players and staff accomodation and basicaly everything else?

Does Fiba publish any sort of their yearly financial accounts? (edit: needless to say, Fifa does)
              Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 11-13-2010, 08:23 PM.
              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post

Does anyone has any idea what does Fiba actually do with their money, if the organiser pays for TV production, players and staff accomodation and basicaly everything else?

Does Fiba publish any sort of their yearly financial accounts? (edit: needless to say, Fifa does)
                God forbid those questions.Same as Olympics or football world cup.
                let me just run you with general scenario - countries build stadiums they can not afford,spent money organising event they can not afford only for for fiba slash fifa or olimpic committee to reap all rewards.
                As a londoner i am paying for the Olympics 2012 through the increased council tax for the amount of 10 pounds a month ,but yet i will not be able to enjoy the event due to the fucking high ticket prices(family wise).
                One shitty one day event would cost my family at least 80 pounds (that's the cheapest).
                Now,if you go back to south africa ,millions spent and billions gotten for the revenues .
                Ask a question - if any ordinary south african is any better when he was before?
                If anything,he has been cheated.Same as you or me will be
                And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Slovenia is probably out of bid for Eurobasket 2013. Government of Slovenia does not support the Eurobasket and does not wish to give 6.5M€ for organization. They said they are willing to give maximum around 1.2M€ to FIBA.

Political scumbags.

Najbolj sveže in aktualne novice iz Slovenije in sveta, intervjuji, kolumne, odlične zgodbe iz sveta športa, avtomobilov in trendov

Comment

So this is getting even more interesting. I wonder if FIBA will lower their demands or are they going to look for another country willing to host Eurobasket 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Gytaz View Post
                      So this is getting even more interesting. I wonder if FIBA will lower their demands or are they going to look for another country willing to host Eurobasket 2013.
                      Saga continues.

Najbolj sveže in aktualne novice iz Slovenije in sveta, intervjuji, kolumne, odlične zgodbe iz sveta športa, avtomobilov in trendov

Basketball federation still isn't giving up. They said they will inform FIBA about the situation and FIBA will decide on 4th or 5th of December what to do. In my opinion there is not much realistical chance for Slovenia to host this Eurobasket.

Comment

Just cancel it ffs, four year format and let the players rest. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ArnoldPettybone View Post
                          Just cancel it ffs, four year format and let the players rest. etc.
                          Vow,i mean where is it coming from?
                          As a bb fan i would prefer it twice a year )
                          But seriously - even if it is not a football where all the stars are attending 100 percent and with every decent team seems to be missing at least 2 -3 top players each time around - but yet it gives the opportunity to shine for younger ones.Suspense is there as well as fighting spirit.
                          Now regarding the place -i am sure that Russia or Ukraine can manage it somehow.Or Latvia and Estonia,especially if Fiba would lower their demands for the fee.
                          And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

No no no, no 4 year format please. I want a major tournament every year, it's okay the way it is right now.

Comment

Besides Slovenia, which is still slighty interested, Great Britain and Greece declared interest if FIBA decreases demands.

Comment

Can't you just love politics... I hope that cocain sniffing barbie of our prime minister would finaly get institutionalised once and for all...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information