Cis Final 8 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cis Final 8 2009

The CIS championship will be played between Carleton and UBC today. Should be a great game. For those who don't know anything about CIS basketball Carleton has won 5 of the last 6 CIS championships.

Scores from all the games so far..
    Scores from the CIS Men's Basketball Championship in Ottawa

Quarter-finals
    Calgary 76 Concordia 67
    UBC 78 Dalhousie 54
    Western 75 Ottawa 48
    Carleton 94 StFX 57

Consolation Semifinals
    Concordia 72 Dalhousie 61
    Ottawa 85 StFX 63

Semifinals
    UBC 79 Calgary 74
    Carleton 66 Western 65

Consolation Final
    Concordia vs. Ottawa

Final
    UBC vs. Carleton
    I'm hoping highlights should be available online. The games last night were really exciting. Internet legend Henry Bekkering had a nice alley-oop slam for Calgary in a losing cause to UBC.

Ajax, I've got a silly question: how is the CIS tournament determined? Are all the CIS schools ranked like they are in the NCAA?

You should write a "CIS Primer" and send it to Stuart to post on the front page. You know, who are the big teams, the big players, the prospects. It's March Madness time, so people are interested!!
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

OTTAWA (CIS) - The top-seeded and tournament host Carleton Ravens captured their sixth W.P. McGee trophy in seven years Sunday afternoon with an 87-77 victory over the No. 3 UBC Thunderbirds in the gold-medal final of the 2009 CIS men's basketball championship, at Scotiabank Place.

Championship website:

The Ravens wouldn't be denied for a second straight year in front of their home fans, 12 months after they suffered a heartbreaking 82-80 double-overtime loss to Acadia in the 2008 national semi-final.

Ranked No. 1 in the country for all but one week this season, Carleton overcame an early 12-point deficit in the 2009 championship game to send the crowd of 8,003 into a frenzy and capture a first title in Ottawa, after five triumphs in Halifax from 2003 to 2007.

After lifting the Ravens to a dramatic 66-65 semi-final win over No. 4 Western Ontario Saturday night with a buzzer-beating jump shot, first-team all-Canadian guard Stuart Turnbull (Kingston, Ont.) once again paced the new CIS champions with 22 points and seven rebounds and received the Jack Donohue trophy as the tournament MVP.

Turnbull and fellow fifth-year seniors Aaron Doornekamp (Odessa, Ont.) and Robert Saunders (Kingston, Ont.) all finish their careers with four CIS rings.

"It really means so much, this is what I have a passion for," Turnbull said. "The loss last year gave us motivation. Life goes on if you lose at the nationals in front of your home fans. I think we were less worried than we were last year."

"After we lost last year, everybody seemed to question whether we could do it without Osvaldo (former two-time CIS MVP Jeanty)," said 10-year Carleton head coach Dave Smart, who saw his Ravens move into sole possession of second place on the all-time list for most CIS men's basketball titles, one ahead of Windsor and two back of Victoria.

"We have a great bunch of guys, they lost two games in two years."

Saunders, who was named CIS defensive player of the year on Thursday night, earned Carleton game-MVP honours after he scored 18 points while holding UBC all-star guard Chris Dyck (Winnipeg) to four second-half points.

Six-foot-eight forward Kevin McCleery (Ottawa) added 15 points and eight rebounds in the win, while Doornekamp and sophomore guard Eliot Thompson (Fredericton) finished with 11 points apiece.

McCleery was named to the tournament all-star team alongside Turnbull, Dyck, Western Ontario guard Matthew Curtis (Hamilton) and Calgary forward Ross Bekkering (Taber, Alta.).

Dyck, who scored a tournament-high 34 points in UBC's 79-74 semi-final victory over No. 2 Calgary on Saturday, had a team-high 21 points and was named the Thunderbirds' player of the game for the second straight day.

"The game slowed down a lot in the second half with all the fouls and free throws. We got away from what we wanted to do, and they just executed better than we did in the second half," said Dyck, one of three players who were wearing the UBC uniform for the last time, along with forward Bryson Kool (Pitt Meadows, B.C.) and guard Matt Rachar (Richmond, B.C.).

Third-year guard Josh Whyte (Calgary) and fourth-year guard Blain Labranche also scored in double figures in the loss tallying 15 and 13 points, respectively.

"Whoever was going to win the rebounding battle was going to win the game, and they outrebounded us," said nine-year UBC head coach Kevin Hanson, whose T-Birds lost the rebounding war 43-26.

"Our goal was to play our best basketball and we did. I'm very proud of the guys and very happy with the season we had," Hanson added.

UBC never trailed in the first half, jumping out to a quick 16-4 lead en route to a 24-18 advantage after the opening quarter and a slim 37-36 edge at the break.

Dyck tallied 17 first-half points for the second straight day. He was 6-of-10 from the floor, including 4-of-5 from beyond the arc in the opening 20 minutes, and scored the T-Birds' last 12 points of the half as UBC held off the Ravens' comeback.

Dyck's fourth three-pointer of the half sent UBC ahead 37-32 with 90 seconds left on the clock but Carleton made it a one-point affair at the intermission thanks to a bucket and a free throw by Thompson and Kyle Smendziuk's 1-for-2 effort from the foul line.

Saunders was the Ravens' leading scorer at the break with 12 points.

McCleery gave the locals their first lead of the afternoon on the Ravens' first possession of the second half, part of an 8-0 Carleton run to open the third stanza.

The Ravens, who held Dyck scoreless in the third, remained ahead the entire quarter and took a 55-48 lead into the final frame thanks to a Turnbull three-pointer with five seconds left.

Thompson hit a three-pointer of his own to start the fourth, opening a 10-point cushion for the hosts. He struck again from beyond the arc one minute later and all of a sudden Carleton enjoyed a 13-point advantage, at 63-50, with eight minutes remaining in regulation.

Whyte brought UBC back to within seven with a basket and a foul shot with 3:08 left, at 73-66, but the 'Birds wouldn't get any closer.

The CIS men's basketball Final Eight returns to Ottawa's Scotiabank Place for the third and final year in 2010. The tournament will move back to Halifax in 2011 ad 2012.

GAME NOTES: UBC's two W.P. McGee trophy wins date back to 1970 and 1972? Carleton and UBC were meeting at the CIS championship for only the second time in history, 31 years after a 74-71 UBC win in the 1968 bronze-medal game? Carleton and UBC had last faced each other in non-conference action at the University of Victoria tournament on December 28, 2003, with the Thunderbirds prevailing 73-69 in overtime?

STAT LEADERS

Carleton
      Points: Stuart Turnbull (22), Robert Saunders (18), Kevin McCleery (15), Eliot Thompson (11), Aaron Doornekamp (11)
      Rebounds: Aaron Doornekamp (8), Kevin McCleery (8), Stuart Turnbull (7)
      Assists: Aaron Doornekamp (4)

Player of the game: Robert Saunders

UBC
      Points: Chris Dyck (21), Josh Whyte (15), Blain Labranche (13)
      Rebounds: Bryson Kool (5), Chris Dyck (5)
      Assists: Alex Murphy (2)

Player of the game: Chris Dyck

TOURNAMENT ALL-STARS:

Tournament MVP (Jack Donohue trophy): Stuart Turnbull, Carleton

Tournament all-stars: Stuart Turnbull (Carleton), Kevin McCleery (Carleton), Chris Dyck (UBC), Matthew Curtis (Western Ontario), Ross Bekkering (Calgary).
      I was pulling for UBC but Carleton won AGAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
        Ajax, I've got a silly question: how is the CIS tournament determined? Are all the CIS schools ranked like they are in the NCAA?

You should write a "CIS Primer" and send it to Stuart to post on the front page. You know, who are the big teams, the big players, the prospects. It's March Madness time, so people are interested!!
        The teams are ranked Matt and then there is a tournament that qualifies them to the Final 8. Sadly CIS basketball doesn't have a wide fan base so only about 5 of the games in the final 8 tournament get shown on national TV. I think if more talent decided to stay and play in the CIS instead of going to the states the CIS would be more exciting and draw more viewers. Also when CIS is shown on TV here Carleton is usually playing and they play a very slow grind it out game much like Greece, its not very pretty.

The website above provides info on all the teams that participated and the results from the weekend.

http://www.ssncanada.ca/finals/19/ This website has all the games from this years championship. I suggest one with the Calgary Dinos, they are the most exciting to watch.
        Last edited by ajaxballer; 03-16-2009, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I saw Carleton play an exhibiton game against American in DC a couple years ago. They were pretty good, looked like they would have been competitive in the Patriot League.
          Originally posted by Fedfan
          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
          Originally posted by GuTO
          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Carleton is very fundamental but lacks a bit on talent. They recruit a lot of unknown small town type guys and build well rounded teams. I also think they would be competitive in one of the lower divisions in the NCAA, there are a few schools in the CIS that would actually, UBC, Simon Frazer, Calgary and maybe a team or 2 out east (Dalhousie, St. FX).

Comment

Watched Carleton against Ottawa earlier this year on the Score and you could see how Carlton plays a fundamental system as you mentioned. Also had the opportunity to see them in Halifax in 2006 when Osvaldo Jeanty was still with them.
              Usually the teams out West - UBC, SFU, UVIC, TWU play early season games against US schools with some mediocre to good results but as you say could possibly compete in the lower level divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtvision View Post
                Usually the teams out West - UBC, SFU, UVIC, TWU play early season games against US schools with some mediocre to good results but as you say could possibly compete in the lower level divisions.
                Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that the US and Canada don't have closer collegiate ties. It's easy to transfer academically between the two countries, so I wish we had more inter-collegiate sporting events going on. Perhaps some pre-season tournaments?

How is the international recruiting in the CIS? I know Concordia has a very good Rwandan national team member, "Ruheza," on their team. What about the other teams?
                "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Some of the CIS schools in western Canada are NAIA members in some minor sports.

I remember hearing something about UBC considering trying to join NCAA Division II, but it seemed like there was a lot of opposition and IMO it wasn't a good idea. Not sure how that turned out.

Lots of exhibition basketball games between NCAA and CIS teams.
                  Originally posted by Fedfan
                  Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                  Originally posted by GuTO
                  refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

I am not sure about the eastern CIS teams but some teams out west have non-canadian players. UFV has a player from California & others previous years. UBC had a player from Austria a few years ago. TWU has 2 players from the US. SFU had a walk-on this year from Ohio, Frank Bradley.

It has been quiet as far as UBC's application into the NCAA II but I am not sure of the timetable. I believe SFU had also showed some interest going NCAA II but again no recent news.

Comment

I think the top teams should inquire about joining the NCAA, maybe that way the CIS will improve its league. I think if the CIS offered full ride scholarships, improved gyms, facilities and the the way the league is marketed in Canada there would be no need to join DI or DII because we could keep a lot of our homegrown talent here. Right now there is a huge trend of Canadian high schoolers going down south to play, which has diluted the state of high school basketball in Canada and especially in Ontario.

Comment

Hopefully the CIS woke up and took notice once UBC announced it's actively pursuing the NCAA route.

Maybe something like this will help to raise the profile. CIS to change qualifying format. CIS will introduce regional qualifiers leading up to the Final 8 in 2011. I believe it was discussed last week during the coaches meeting in Ottawa. It appears to be modelled somewhat after the US college regionals. An article in the Ottawa Citizen today.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information