Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurobasket 2011, Lithuania

I will be there.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    I will be there.
    Me too

I wanna be there too...that's why i'm asking for the tickets

Quote Originally Posted by arkadiosv2 View Post
    are there actually dates for the tournament?
    09.03 - 09.18
    One day the tides will turn
    One day the fields will burn
    One day the seas will churn
    The fury of our maker’s hand

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadiosV2 View Post
    And the final? In which city?
    In nothing unexpected happens - final stage will be held in Kaunas

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadiosV2 View Post
    And the final? In which city?
    First group round in Siauliai, Klaipeda, Panevezis and Alitus. Second group round and play off games in Vilnius and Kaunas. The final should be in Kaunas in new Zalgiris arena.

Take a tour around the six cities and get to know the situation in each and every one. Most of them seem to have problems with accommodation. http://www.lithuaniabasketball.com/n...-problems.html
    You can follow me on twitter @LithuaniaBasket

PREPARATIONS FOR EUROBASKET 2011 IN FULL PROGRESS

// 30 July 2010

While Basketball Europe is busy with another series of Youth European Championships the hosts of EuroBasket 2011, Lithuania, are working behind the scenes in order to get ready for the fast approaching blockbuster event.

Despite hosting the U18 European Championship in the country's capital, Vilnius and staging numerous preparation games of the men's team prior to this year's World Championship the whole country is feverishly preparing to be ready come next September.

The OMNITEL U18 European Championship is held in one of the Venues that will also be used for EuroBasket, Siemens Arena.

It already saw crowds of more than 3,500 people cheering their juniors to a tidy 6-0 record in the tournament.

But the other cities are not far behind in the preparations.

On Thursday, FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin went on a roundtrip to visit Klaipeda, Kaunas and Alytus, three cities that will play host to teams and fans next year.

In Kaunas he met with Mayor Andrius Kupcinskas to take a look at the still under construction Arena that is built on the outskirts of Lithuania's second largest city.

They took the time for an up-close inspection of the construction site.

"We are generally very pleased with the progress of the project EuroBasket 2011" commented Zanolin.

"We have great people here working with enthusiasm on our most prestigious event.

"The new Arena in Kaunas will be a jewel and I am sure that Kaunas will be a fantastic host city" he added.
    The new arena in Kaunas will have a capacity of more than 15,000 sprectators

Next on the list was the inspection of numerous other sites which are important for the event, such as Hotels, city centers and the general infrastructure.

"All the projects running here in Lithuania are according to the schedule" said Zanolin

"Our friends from the Lithuanian Basketball Federation and the Local Organizing Committee are working very hard to ensure the highest quality."

Next on the list are two more host cities, Panevezys and Siauliai that will be visited on Saturday.

The visit will end at the OMNITEL U18 European Championship in Vilnius, where the whole country will have an eye on their juniors, and hoping it will be a good omen for the senior team in one year's time.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_WajTw...leMode_on.html

Quote Originally Posted by adebisi View Post
    09.03 - 09.18
    Can you please confirm a source for these dates, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lietuvis View Post
    Can you please confirm a source for these dates, thanks.
    Didn't find article in fibaeurope regarding dates, but anyways competition's schedule is already published

Senior Member Get Rich Or Die Playin's Avatar

Today FIBA is deciding about next summer and one possibility is to let 24 teams play already in Lithuania. That would clearly attract more fans as Latvia and Poland would play in European Championships.

Other option is additional qualifying tournament with 6 or 10 teams. I prefer 24 teams already in Lithuania.

In Poland it is said that FIBA decided to make EuroBasket 2011 a 24-team tournament.

Italy, Latvia, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Bulgaria and Poland are qualified.

Finland, Hungary and Portugal are going to fight for the rest two places.

Those who are in the Division B now (for example: Czech Republic, Sweden) are very unlucky.

Exclamation

I'm seriously thinking of taking a two week vacation in Lithuania for kugelis and Eurobasket next September.

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    In Poland it is said that FIBA decided to make EuroBasket 2011 a 24-team tournament.

Italy, Latvia, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Bulgaria and Poland are qualified.

Finland, Hungary and Portugal are going to fight for the rest two places.

Those who are in the Division B now (for example: Czech Republic, Sweden) are very unlucky.
    For real? O_o it unexpected. Well, gonna see some guys at Eurobasket if someone of my friends would like to go with me I'm living in halfway of Vilnius and Kaunas. It will be interesting.

i'm one of guys with crazy therys in head could this have something with italy not qualifying to ec? it does make me suspicius

i guess montenegrians, israelis and others qualifyed trough qualyfications must feal dumb

Quote Originally Posted by pohani komarac View Post
    i'm one of guys with crazy therys in head could this have something with italy not qualifying to ec? it does make me suspicius
    This is the first thing I thought when I read the news. FIBA is afraid that Italy may miss out on another Eurobasket.

Wow, this would be great for Lithuania, because so many more fans would come. Latvia would probably be a team with the biggest fan-base.

But now, when I think of it, it is hard to believe. At least if FIBA doesn't abolish its rule, which says that all the teams of the same group should live in the same hotel. Because there were already problems with finding big enough hotels for 4 teams in Alytus, Panevėžys and Šiauliai. Well, maybe FIBA would change the rule, but it still seems hardly believable - changing the system with only 1 year left until the event.

Anyway, if it actually happens - I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    This is the first thing I thought when I read the news. FIBA is afraid that Italy may miss out on another Eurobasket.
    and this also makes me prety sure slovenia has no chace to get eb 2013

Great! More teams mean more fans coming! (and they are good for the economy, which really needs a boost )

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast