Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil national team

BRA - Tavernari treasures national team experience with Brazil

SALT LAKE CITY (FIBA Americas Championship/NCAA) - Jonathan Tavernari loves the game of basketball and wants to play professionally one day.

But the 21-year-old Brazil international knows one can't play the game his entire life.

"The advice I would give to youngsters is that above all, it's important to learn that basketball is not forever and that there's life after playing," Tavernari said.

"To study, to be an educated person, be a family person are blessings God gives us.

"In order to be successful in the NCAA or in any other league, you need to make sacrifices and have a balanced life."

Tavernari benefitted from the absence of veteran players last summer when he played for Moncho Monsalve's Brazil at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens.

Established stars like Leandro Barbosa of the Phoenix Suns weren't able to play, and that opened the national team door for him.

He is now back in Utah for his junior year at Brigham Young.

"In the last year, I have grown a lot on defense," he said.

"I am a better man-to-man defender and I owe that to my experience in the Brazil national team in 2008. I had to improve a lot in order to be chosen by coach Moncho Monsalve.

"To train with Marcelinho, Alex and Duda motivated me to reach their level. I always admired Marcelinho and Alex. In order to improve, I have to guard great players and they teach me more."

Brazil were without some of their leading players and didn't make it to Beijing, but under Monsalve the national side looked like a team with a lot of promise and they should have enough firepower to do well at the FIBA Americas Championship in order to qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

Players like Tavernari were thrilled with the opportunity to compete in Athens.

"Joining the national team was a dream come true," he said. "Not only to train under Moncho, but to be able to be part of a group of players, coaches, trainers, doctors.... All of them were important for me. My first time in the national team was unforgettable.

"To play for the national team is an addiction. I have experienced it and now I want to always be there.

"Whether it is in the American Cup, the South American tournament, the World Championship - it doesn't matter which tournament. Whatever chance I have, I would like to wear the Brazil colors and represent my country."

At BYU, Tavernari feels right at home.

"I miss my family and friends but I speak a lot to them," he said.

"In my time off, I like to cook, go to the cinema and the theater. I am a home boy. I don't like to go out partying."

The experience in North America is very important for Tavernari.

"I came to the United States to be able to study and play," he said.

"My parents are involved in education and that is important in my family. Here we are student-athletes and at BYU, school comes first.

"My routine is hard. During the week, I wake up at 6am. I train from seven to eight. Then I have lessons from nine to midday. In the afternoon, I do my homework and then some muscular exercises and at eight, I meet my girlfriend."

Tavernari is majoring in business administration and plans to get a graduate degree in sports communication and administration.

BYU are certainly happy the Brazilian chose to attend their school for he has greatly contributed to the success of the team.

They are off to their best start in the league since 1987. The Cougars won all 10 of their opening games in the Mountain West Conference.

"I do my job," Tavernari said.

"My coaches and teammates know what to expect from me and they know I'm not going to disappoint them.

"My strong points are my passion for the game and my competitive spirit. Talent alone doesn't solve anything."
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Nice to see Tavernari's excitement about playing for the NT, but he sure isn't the solution at the SG spot. The kid is a streak shooter and that's mainly all he do in the court. His defense is far from being decent yet, he has major work to do on that area before he can be considered an important piece of the Brazilian team.

Right now he is playing at College level and he probably won't be selected to play in the NBA and I don't see him going to a top European team either. I hope I will have to eat my words about him and he becomes a great basketball player, but to be fair I just don't see it.

There are a lot of better prospects out there that we should be targeting as the future of the Brazilian NT.

Comment

I'm just curious...
      Who do you consider as the best Brazilian player in 2008-09season/in last seasons? I mean both in NT and clubs. Barbosa, Huertas, Hilario, Varejao, Alex Garcia, Splitter, ...?
      And which one of them can you imagine as a leader/main option in Brazilian NT?
      sigpic
      ACB league
      Scola & Ginobili 4 life
      TAU & Lakers supporter
      need4sheed.com

Comment

Originally posted by jugoplastika View Post
        I'm just curious...
        Who do you consider as the best Brazilian player in 2008-09season/in last seasons? I mean both in NT and clubs. Barbosa, Huertas, Hilario, Varejao, Alex Garcia, Splitter, ...?
        1. Nene
        2. Splitter
        3. Varejao
        4. Leandro
        5. Huertas
        6. Alex Garcia

Leadership is not a simple concept, since not always the best player can be a leader or even the main option in a team.

I would love to see Nene focusing in playing for the NT, but in the past he showed us that he doesn't value this kind of exeperience like many others in Brazil.

If he really wanted to play for the NT, I would make him the focus of the offense, no doubt, still, I think the leadership would go with Splitter and Varejão, since both guys usually play with passion and are proud to represent their country.

Comment

Nenê has been playing great and it's truly amazing the effort he put in coming back to competition and play what he knows. But I'd still put Splitter ahead of him and Leandrinho ahead of Varejão. This in terms of shape and played game of course, being the leader of the team is something a bit different, there I agree with ¹²³.
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by jugoplastika View Post
            When it comes to the NT, to me, Splitter and Álex Garcia are the only ones who have shown their potential and the guts.

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
              Nenê has been playing great and it's truly amazing the effort he put in coming back to competition and play what he knows. But I'd still put Splitter ahead of him and Leandrinho ahead of Varejão. This in terms of shape and played game of course, being the leader of the team is something a bit different, there I agree with ¹²³.
              Originally posted by alermac View Post
              When it comes to the NT, to me, Splitter and Álex Garcia are the only ones who have shown their potential and the guts.
              Yep, I can agree with both of you.

Leandrinho and Varejão are really close right now, both are playing good games and some bad ones, not really consistent this season (althought Leandro's loss of his mother had an effect on his game).

Alex is another great motivational leader, and should have a prime place on the NT.

Comment

NT coach Moncho Monsalve concluded his stay in the US where he observed the Brazilians there. Nenê, Barbosa and Varejão declared ready to play for the NT.
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Some people were complaining about Moncho's tour around the world, but I think it's one of the few good things CBB is doing to help the NT.

Comment

Originally posted by ¹²³ View Post
                    Some people were complaining about Moncho's tour around the world, but I think it's one of the few good things CBB is doing to help the NT.
                    I totally agree. It's that way you convince players to play for the NT and give them the feeling that the federation cares for them, that's extremely important.
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                      I totally agree. It's that way you convince players to play for the NT and give them the feeling that the federation cares for them, that's extremely important.
                      You're right, although some of these players (well, Nene) has shunned the NT in the past. I guess Monsalva is trying to "mend fences" and "heal wounds" with his biggest players.
                      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

BRA - Moncho Monsalve optimistic after trip to the USA

RIO DE JANEIRO (National team) – Moncho Monsalve, head coach of the Brazilian National Team, spent a few days in the USA where he attended some NBA games and practices. The Spanish-born coach traveled to the USA in order to speak to the three Brazilians playing in the NBA: Leandro Barbosa (Phoenix Suns), Nenê Hilário (Denver Nuggets) and Anderson Varejão (Cleveland Cavaliers).

Monsalve felt himself very welcomed by all teams and players. According to the coach born in Spain (in Medina del Campo, Valladolid), Barbosa, Nenê and Varejão all expressed their strong commitment to joining the Brazilian National Team at the FIBA Americas Championship, the qualifier for the 2010 FIBA World Championship that will take place in August. “I had a wonderful conversation with all three players and I am sure that we can count on them in the National Team”, stated Moncho.

In addition, Monsalve is confident that Brazil will be in the next FIBA Word Championship: “Brazil has extraordinary players evolving in the NBA, Europe, the NCAA and the Brazilian National League (NBB). We can build a great team, capable of facing any opponent at the FIBA Americas Championship.”

Before traveling to the USA, the Brazilian National Team coach spoke to center Tiago Splitter in Madrid, where his team, TAU Cerámica, won the Spanish Copa del Rey.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

BRA – Dede hopes to return to Brazil set-up

RIO DE JANEIRO (CBB) - Brazilian youngster Dede is dreaming of representing Brazil again, and crossing the Atlantic to play professional basketball in Europe.

The 24-year-old Paulistano ace, who is the second-leading scorer in the Novo Basquete Brasil (NBB) at 21.9 points per game, played at the 2008 South American Championship in Chile.

“It was a very good experience,” he said.

“Then I trained with (Brazil coach) Moncho Monsalve. My first call-up to a Brazil team was at 16 and since then, I have gone through all the national teams.

“Everyone hopes to play for the senior national team, to be among the best of the country. I would really like to be called up again.”

Like many players in South America, Dede would like to test himself against the best in Europe as well.

Europe is where many Brazil internationals have always competed.

“I have Spanish nationality and I admire European basketball,” he said.

“It's a more technical game, more complete and that attracts me. I think Spanish basketball is the best in the world right now.

“If I could choose a club to play there, it would be Barcelona."
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Brazilian youngster Dede...

...The 24-year-old Paulistano ace

Comment

Originally posted by alermac View Post
                              LOL. Dede is a good player, but I agree that he won't have a big impact on Brazil NT and shouldn't be viewed as anything beyond a role player.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information