This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian NBB national league

Liga Nacional of Brazil was presented to the press in Sao Paulo. The new league will have fifteen teams from seven states and begins on January 23, 2009.

The league, also called, New Basket from Brazil (NBB) was presented to over 200 people. Sports Minister, Orlando Silva, FIBA Americas Secretary General, Alberto Garcia, CBB President Gerasime Grego Bozikis, LNB President, Kouros Monadjemi, basketball legend Oscar Schmidt were along the players and coaches who attended the event.

"We want to guide basketball into the second most popular sport in Brazil, contribute to the development of new athletes and profesionalize the clubs", said league president Kouros Monadjemi.

This new league is sanctioned by the CBB and all basketball personalities are happy to have a new opportunity to improve basketball in their country.

"The new format, along with a new administration and the endorsement from the CBB were the factors that were missing to profesionalize basketball. Now we will have a strong tournament, with all the teams in the same place", said head coach of Universo/BRB, Lula Ferreira.

Brazilian star Alex Garcia said: "The great players are back, this tournament will give hope to Brazilian basketball."

The participating teams are: CETAF/Garoto/UVV/PMVV, Ciser/Araldite/Univille/Joinville, Conti/AMEA/Assis, Flamengo/Petrobras, GRSA/Bauru, Lupo/Araraquara, Paulistano/ Amil, Pinheiros, Pitágoras/Minas Tenis, Saldanha da Gama, São José/Unimed/Vinac, Univates/Bira, Universo/BRB, Vivo/Franca and Winner/Limeira.

The league has representatives from Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro, Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina and Sao Paulo.

Finally, things in the domestic league in Brazil were going down hill, maybe now the clubs will regain control and make this championship work.
    Last edited by rikhardur; 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM.

This is good news, no doubt. A country like Brazil producing so much top players should have a strong, organised league (and NT as well, but that's another issue) to keep that. Hats off to Óscar for helping to build this new league.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Thanks for the article and the news!! Yes, this is exciting news. I really, really, really, really hope this is the end of Brazil's petty squabbles for administrative basketball superiority. Unfortunately, I'm a pessimist. I'll believe it when I see it.
      Originally posted by ¹²³ View Post
      Finally, things in the domestic league in Brazil were going down hill, maybe now the clubs will regain control and make this championship work.
      Originally posted by rikhardur
      This is good news, no doubt. A country like Brazil producing so much top players should have a strong, organised league (and NT as well, but that's another issue) to keep that. Hats off to Óscar for helping to build this new league.
      Brazil has the worst situation for league competitiveness. I've heard news like this in Brazil for a long time, that finally the country has a top, unified league. I don't know. If the CBB and LNB are still existing, this new league will no doubt struggle. It's the CBB and LNB who need to put aside their petty differences and petty arguments if Brazil wants a viable league. I don't see any proof of that except the fact that Oscar and the LNB president went to this press conference.
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

The league will start on the 28th. The draw for the 1st round had the following result:

Universo BRB vs Assis
        Pinheiros vs Flamengo
        Paulistano vs Pitágoras
        São José vs Univates Bira
        Limeira vs Joinville
        Saldanha da Gama vs Franca
        CETAF vs Lupo Araraquara

Rest: Bauru

The regular season will end on the 17th May. Playoffs will start with the quarter-finals and will be played in a best of 5 format. There will also be an All-Star game on 22nd March.

Last edited by rikhardur; 01-07-2009, 03:07 AM.
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
          Brazil has the worst situation for league competitiveness. I've heard news like this in Brazil for a long time, that finally the country has a top, unified league. I don't know. If the CBB and LNB are still existing, this new league will no doubt struggle. It's the CBB and LNB who need to put aside their petty differences and petty arguments if Brazil wants a viable league. I don't see any proof of that except the fact that Oscar and the LNB president went to this press conference.
          Actually, this new independent league is the first one that has the CBB's "blessing", sort of speak. In theory, it represents the end of a power clash of several years (clubs get their independent national league, CBB and regional federations still control regional tournaments). In practice, we can only wait and see.

The good sign is the TV agreement with Globo (Brazil's biggest TV network) for games broadcasting.

The bad sign is that some teams are already being hit badly by the financial crisis (Flamengo may lose some players including the nearly signed Rafael Baby Araujo, and Assis has pretty much dismantled its team since the end of the Paulista tournament)

The original idea also included a professional independent league for women, since Brazil is a world power at female basketball), but League President Kouros Monadjemi said it will take at least 3 years to come to life.
          Last edited by alermac; 01-09-2009, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alermac View Post
            Actually, this new independent league is the first one that has the CBB's "blessing", sort of speak.
            Well, I suppose even a little "love" from the CBB is good. It's something.
            In practice, we can only wait and see.
            Yes. I'll believe it when I see it.
            The good sign is the TV agreement with Globo (Brazil's biggest TV network) for games broadcasting.
            If Globo is going to regularly broadcast the games, that's obviously a good thing and an encouraging sign. I don't know if the past leagues have had their games broadcast or not, but I think it's safe to say that good broadcasts can save any league.
            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

I think things will go OK this time. There are agreements between important parts in Brazilian basketball, everyone seems to have the same goal: to have a unified league in the country and bring back basketball to the national scene. Everything is there for this to work.
              Artificial Nature

Comment

If Globo is going to regularly broadcast the games, that's obviously a good thing and an encouraging sign. I don't know if the past leagues have had their games broadcast or not, but I think it's safe to say that good broadcasts can save any league.
                I am afraid Globo won't broadcast it regularly right away. The majority of the games will be broadcasted by SporTV (Globo's sports cable channel).

Anyway, in the video found in the link below is a nice exposure of the league in a somewhat popular show called Globo Esporte.

Link

Comment

Originally posted by ¹²³ View Post
                  I am afraid Globo won't broadcast it regularly right away. The majority of the games will be broadcasted by SporTV (Globo's sports cable channel).
                  Well, maybe it's not too bad. Is SportTV an "over the air" network? That is, can viewers watch SporTV without paying extra money, like cable?

Comment

Well, maybe it's not too bad. Is SportTV an "over the air" network? That is, can viewers watch SporTV without paying extra money, like cable?
                    Nope. It's a cable network and you have to pay more to watch it. The cable market is still growing in Brazil, so the reach won't be that wide for NBB.

Anyway, it's a start, I never expected that after years of administrative incompetence in brazilian basketabll this league would be perfect right away.

I think in 3 years we will see a big improvement in the sport. Let's hope.

Comment

Current champion Flamengo is looking forward to claim the title again, especially with the additions of C Rafael "Baby" Araújo and F Jefferson William.
                      Other title contenders could be Pitágoras/Minas, Joinville, Franca or Limeira.

BTW ¹²³ I changed the name of the thread so we'll keep discussing the season here
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

123, I don't like that the league will be broadcast on cable, but like you said, I'm sure it's a start. I guess it's like soccer here, which is mostly shown on cable...and of course the NBA is too, but the cable market here is huge.
                        Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                        Current champion Flamengo is looking forward to claim the title again, especially with the additions of C Rafael "Baby" Araújo and F Jefferson William.
                        Araujo is certainly a great pick-up. I don't know about William. Where did he go to school, do you know? Also, is Machado still playing for Flamengo?

Comment

I don't know about William. Where did he go to school, do you know?
                          Looks like he played in the US for Arizona West College. Don't let the name fool you, he's Brazilian

Also, is Machado still playing for Flamengo?
                          Yes, he's the team captain.
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

And Universo BRB Brasilia, who has Valtinho, Estevam and Álex García on its roster. Sweet.

Comment

Looks like he played in the US for Arizona West College. Don't let the name fool you, he's Brazilian
                              Arizona West College? Huh. Well, I hope William is a good player! I
                              Yes, he's the team captain.
                              Great. I really love Machado. I really think he should've been in the NBA a few years ago. Maybe he's got a few too many wrinkles now, but he was such a wonderful player in his day. With Machado and Araujo, Flamengo must be the favorite.

Alermac, I'm glad to see that Garcia is playing as well.

How, Brazil is really bringing home some very big names to their league. This could shape up to be the best league in Latin America! I wonder what the import rules will be like and who is playing. I've got to get a roster list.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information