X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 World Club Championship

New club basketball championship to debut in 2010
    13 hours, 12 minutes ago

(AP)—A world championship for basketball clubs will be launched in 2010.

World governing body FIBA said Monday that its first annual club championship will be played in October 2010, offering $1 million to the winner.

The inaugural tournament will feature eight teams, comprising the five FIBA continental champions—from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania— the runner-up from the Americas and Europe plus a team invited by the host city.

It will not include an NBA team.

“There have been some talks with the NBA,” FIBA spokesman Marcos Beltra said. “We will organize the first World Club Championship and then study the situation and in the second one invite the NBA champion.”

The Chinese cities of Chengdu and Nanjing have offered to host the five-day, 10-game tournament.

Beltra said the tournament revives the global club format which lapsed when the McDonald’s Championship ended after nine editions from 1987-99. That tournament pitted the continental champions against each other and an invited NBA team.

Nine different NBA teams each won the McDonald’s title once. Tournament MVPs included NBA stars Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan.

FIBA’s decision-making executive board also gave Turkey until next May to make progress in the delayed construction of arenas for the World Championship for national teams that the country is scheduled to host in August and September 2010.

Beltra said Turkey was given a second chance based on assurances made by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

If we want to see a PBA team in this tournament.. we seriously need to start sending PBA champions to the FIBA Asia Champions Cup (FIBA Asia Club Championship)... national teams, including the Philippines, are not helping in this type of tournament... it suppose to be about the best club in the region not for the best selection...

sigpic

Comment

This is not the first time FIBA announces this. I hope this time it's for real.

Comment

So there wouldn't be the NBA champion, or the Euroleague champion? It seems to imply the Eurocup winner would go. Without the champions of the strongest leagues this is an immense let down.
        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
          So there wouldn't be the NBA champion, or the Euroleague champion? It seems to imply the Eurocup winner would go. Without the champions of the strongest leagues this is an immense let down.

you're right. i remember the mcdonald's championship that took place every 2 years were the best teams in the world ''including nba teams'' were participating. this was the best tournement in the world

Comment

Originally posted by eliooo93 View Post
            you're right. i remember the mcdonald's championship that took place every 2 years were the best teams in the world ''including nba teams'' were participating. this was the best tournement in the world
            In the McDonald's Open... NBA... I think only sent NBA champions twice... I think its the Houston Rockets and Chicago Bulls... aside from these champion teams, NBA sent teams such us the Cavaliers and the Grizzlies (???) who played the European champions... Chicago Bulls only get to play once in the tourney even though they're a 6-time champion in the 90's

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donmar View Post
              In the McDonald's Open... NBA... I think only sent NBA champions twice... I think its the Houston Rockets and Chicago Bulls... aside from these champion teams, NBA sent teams such us the Cavaliers and the Grizzlies (???) who played the European champions... Chicago Bulls only get to play once in the tourney even though they're a 6-time champion in the 90's
              Actually it was three times (the Spurs went in 99), the point was the NBA sent the NBA champions to three straight tournaments 95, 97, and 99. Considering those were the last three tournaments, there's no reason to think the NBA wouldn't have continued had it lived on.

Edit: The two tournaments before those the NBA sent it's runner up. Lakers in 91, and Suns in 93.
              Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

1º de Agosto will be at the championship as African champion.
                Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Wait Jordan In both championships
                  Jordan Rocks
                  pLAY yOUR gAME , dON'T b aSHAMED

Comment

club

I bet it's 50/50 that this happens

Comment

This tournament will be held in Nanjing,as it's reported today.

Comment

Originally posted by BlacKOEIsle View Post
                        This tournament will be held in Nanjing,as it's reported today.

What happened with the main sponsor??, I read that this tournament was about to be cancelled

Comment

Originally posted by Jokinen View Post
                          What happened with the main sponsor??, I read that this tournament was about to be cancelled

Sorry...I don't know..

Comment

Teams qualified:

- Virtus Bologna (EuroChallenge champion)
                            - Chalon Basket (EuroChallenge runner-up)
                            - Universo BRB (FIBA Americas League champion)
                            - Halcones de Xalapa (FIBA Americas League runner-up)
                            - Primeiro de Agosta (Africa Clubs champion)
                            - Mahram Tehran BC (FIBA Asia Clubs champion)
                            - One team from Oceania (??)
                            - Guangdong Southern Tigers as CBA Champion (????)
                            https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

Originally posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
                              Teams qualified:

- Virtus Bologna (EuroChallenge champion)
                              - Chalon Basket (EuroChallenge runner-up)
                              - Universo BRB (FIBA Americas League champion)
                              - Halcones de Xalapa (FIBA Americas League runner-up)
                              - Primeiro de Agosta (Africa Clubs champion)
                              - Mahram Tehran BC (FIBA Asia Clubs champion)
                              - One team from Oceania (??)
                              - Guangdong Southern Tigers as CBA Champion (????)

I got a feeling Oceania may not send a team at all... there's no regional interclub competition and the global economic recession really hurts basketball here... they probably going to send the Australian NBL champion since a New Zealand franchise also playing in that league.. probably the champion of the upcoming season... coz, the current champion (South Dragons) disbanded or deactivated for a year and only plans to comeback on 2011... so the possible team could be the Melbourne Tigers or the New Zealand Breakers... the second and third ranked teams from last season...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information