Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croats Abroad 2008/09: Roko Leni Ukic

City of Kukoč, Rađa, Vujčić, Balić and Ivanišević

I just saw an interview with Roko Ukić on a local TV channel. So...

It was hard to him (his wife and little daughter are with him) to replace Split, Vitoria, Barcelona and Rome with cold Toronto and even more professional NBA league where you are almost nobody as a newcomer. Totally different world - climate, club, relations on and off the court, etc.

He couldn't define what was the crucial moment in his career to achieve what he did (and succeed in basketball). Favorite (own) shot is the one vs Zadar in final game of Krešo Ćosić cup, 2004, which was worth a trophy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtM60n_2ggk

Also, he praised coach Petar Skansi, he sees him as a God's gift to basketball players.
    He considers his shoting abilities as the worst part of his game, so his idol since the childhood is Reggie Miller; he appreciates him a lot.

When asked about Andrew Bogut (he's of Croatian origins), just told Andrew has had hard pain in his back during the current season all the time, and expressed a wish to see him back in action healthy in 6 months so we can judge what he is capable of, and judge his game.

On NBA rookies, contracts, hierarchy: some (!) of them (and older NBA players) have atendency to become overweight or fat.
    The NBA is a great opportunity to players from USA because they don't get paid in college, so it's more aeasier to them (than to Int'l players) to accept money offer (I mean rookie contract) from an NBA club.
    Triangle club's president-general manager-coach is very important to him.
    He mentioned Barcelona (most beautiful city to him so far) as an example where hierarchy had a big impact on player's performance and coach Ivanović, two seasons long.
    Those days GM, Zoran Savić (settled by president), acquired few players which were not Ivanović's wish. So, he was basically forced to play them. The result? They underperformed - only one Copa del Rey and nothing else in two seasons.

Talking about current and next season, he admitted to Toronto Raptors having a bad season. There will also be some changes (trades) during the summer holidays. That is for sure, he said, but didn't mentioned names.

He explained basic things about draft, picks, etc., but we know that already, right?

This is all important what I remembered...
    Well, it is just me - I am learning slow, forgetting fast!!

(Sorry for my english in case something's wrong written)

Another interview with Ukić (speaking in Croatian), Croatian national TV, January 2009:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrawLWsgDGc
    Last edited by jugoplastika; 04-20-2009 at 05:55 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

http://www.24sata.hr/sport/suton-nas...-snova/140101/

Goran Suton: "Playing for Croatia is acomplishing my drems" ...

So I guess we can count Suton as Croat and now we have 2 bench wormers in NBA
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

So I guess after few years negative tradition of not haveing NBA player is about to end?. Media reports Bojan Bogdanovic signed with NETS 3 year contract?

Well I can only hope he will be able to translate his game to NBA and he defenetley have some questionmarks (defense, abity to create in NBA, mental toughnes) and won't stuck on bench like Mirza. But it will be hard, Nets are overloaded at 2-3 spots. Well atlest he will play for contender
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12