Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Croats Abroad 2008/09: Roko Leni Ukic

Default Croats Abroad 2008/09: Roko Leni Ukic

So far this year, Ukic has not shown that he's an all-class player like he did under Represa. He's only averaging 3.2 points and 1.7 assists in 10 minutes a game for the Toronto Raptors. He's also shooting a lousy 27%. This is obviously disappointing to Ukic fans, who have seen him play extremely well on the Croatian NT, in Roma, and for TAU.

Last night, Ukic had his best game of the year. He scored 13 points (3-9 FGs, 6-6 FTs).

Lay-up around Jordan Farmar
    Driving against Eddie House

truth to be told Ukic never really showed the talent everyone said he has..
    not even while playing in Split..
    he was good at some stages of his career but never extraordinary player..
    I expected a lot more from his last year while he was playing under Repeša..
    now that Mitchell is gonne we will see what will be his role in the team..
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair
    So far this year, Ukic has not shown that he's an all-class player like he did under Represa. He's only averaging 3.2 points and 1.7 assists in 10 minutes a game for the Toronto Raptors. He's also shooting a lousy 27%. This is obviously disappointing to Ukic fans, who have seen him play extremely well on the Croatian NT, in Roma, and for TAU.

Last night, Ukic had his best game of the year. He scored 13 points (3-9 FGs, 6-6 FTs).

Lay-up around Jordan Farmar
    Driving against Eddie House
    Well, no one expected something special from him... He has only one advantage from many other young players, he wants to learn... He doesn't think he knows everything, and that's good... And this may sound strange, but he fits better in NBA than in Europe, cause he's pretty 'one on one' and 'fast transition' oriented player...
    I changed my signature, now it says something completely different!

he just had his best game for the Raptors..
    10 points (2-2 FG and 5-6 FT), 5 assists and 4 rebounds in 19 minutes isn't that bad..
    and it looks like Triani will be trusting him as a backup PG more then Solomon..

12 points, 7 assists, 1 steal, 2 rebounds and 2 turnovers in 23 minutes..
    he played entire fourth quarter and he hit a crucial jumper in the last minute to put his team 3 points up..
    nice, that should give him some selfconfidence so he can prove he is a better player then Solomon..
    Toronto without O'Neal and Calderon won at home against Orlando..
    so that is basicly 2-0 without O'Neal and Calderon together..
    Bargnani again had a good game, and so did Bosh with Parker finally doing something..
    Last edited by Picek; 01-04-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    nice, that should give him some selfconfidence so he can prove he is a better player then Solomon..
    Do you think he's better than Solomon? I'm not sure.
    Toronto without O'Neal and Calderon won at home against Orlando..
    so that is basicly 2-0 without O'Neal and Calderon together..
    It looks like Calderon will miss the next two games also, so be sure to check the box-scores!

City of Kukoč, Rađa, Vujčić, Balić and Ivanišević

12 points, 7 assists, 1 steal, 2 rebounds and 2 turnovers in 23 minutes... vs Orlando Magic
    Fixed.

Roko's Highlights
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair View Post
    Do you think he's better than Solomon? I'm not sure.
    let's put it like this, on defensive end he is definitely a better player IMO eventhough he is a weaker player physicly..
    the same goes in setting up plays department..
    Solomon is a better shooter though..
    like I said earlier I'm not a big fan of Ukic because on paper he was a significantly better player then he currently is..
    but he is still young and can improve a lot, I don't see solomon doing that..

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair View Post
    Do you think he's better than Solomon? I'm not sure. It looks like Calderon will miss the next two games also, so be sure to check the box-scores!
    They are doig a pretty good game tonight too without Oneal and Calde. If they win, they will be 3-0 since they play without them.
    If Bosh get injured, they are definitely candidates for the ring
    I KISS BASKET

Quote Originally Posted by Neozyrus View Post
    They are doig a pretty good game tonight too without Oneal and Calde. If they win, they will be 3-0 since they play without them.
    If Bosh get injured, they are definitely candidates for the ring
    you said that to early..
    basicly Solomon decision making cost them the win..
    2-13 from the floor..
    but it was a Raptors coach decision to put him back in with Raptors regaining the lead after being 8 down early in the fourth..
    Ukić then scored 7 in a row to bring them back and Bosh took over to put them back in the lead..
    Solomon entered with two point Toronto lead..
    Ridnour scored two 3p over Solomon in last two and a half minutes of the game..
    nuff said..

let's put it like this, on defensive end he is definitely a better player IMO eventhough he is a weaker player physicly..
    the same goes in setting up plays department..
    Solomon is a better shooter though..
    I haven't seen enough of either of them to make a judgement. I just know that Solomon was a "heckuva" player in the NCAA and in Europe.
    like I said earlier I'm not a big fan of Ukic because on paper he was a significantly better player then he currently is..
    That is true.
    but he is still young and can improve a lot, I don't see solomon doing that..
    That is certainly true!

11 points (5-8) in 18 minutes for the kid last night.

Funny looking pass
    Guarded in a game against Houston

When two worlds collide: Toronto Star's columnist vs Raptors' fans (check out comments)

If only Ukic could play like he surfs Internet

Interesting, fans blamed the respected columnist Dave Feschuk. They agree with him only when Roko's jumpshot is mentioned.
    Last edited by jugoplastika; 01-10-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

Ukic with career high 16 points on 7/12 shooting in 23 minutes, with 3 rebounds and 3 assists..
    but they lost to Celtics for the second night in a row..

I'm glad he is doing good. I always liked his game.

And would always get mad when people said his game fits the NBA more, which is total BS he is a good player in europe and in the NBA he only needed a chance. As Repeša latter proved.
    Too bad he lost all that time in Spain though.
    Those spanish sure can make some bad decisions on benching non spanish players sometimes. A nother good example of that is E.Lorbek with Unicaja.

Nice article on Roko's last performance: http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/586365

Ukić replaced starting point-guard Anthony Parker off the bench in 91-89 victory vs Spurs. He scored 22 points (FG 9-13, 3P 2-3, FT 2-2) including a couple of clutch shots down the stretch, rebounded 2times and dished 3 assists and had only 1 turnover in 30 minutes. 22 points is his season high.

Boxscore: http://www.nba.com/games/20090211/SASTOR/boxscore.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

Quote Originally Posted by jugoplastika View Post
    Ukić replaced starting point-guard Anthony Parker off the bench in 91-89 victory vs Spurs. He scored 22 points (FG 9-13, 3P 2-3, FT 2-2) including a couple of clutch shots down the stretch,
    They praised him on SportsCenter, ESPN's daily highlight show. They said "Roko Ukić took over in the fourth. Roko Ukić. Gotta' love that name." Sounds like it was a great performance. He had one really pretty highlight where he shot a floater over Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. Very nice stuff.

I really hope Ukić continues to play well. He does OK when he has minutes, but normally he only plays 5 minutes a game.
    Ukic scores career-high 22 points for Raptors - AP Sports, February 12, 2009

...Roko Ukic scored a career-high 22 points, Andrea Bargnani had 23 and the Raptors overcame a 32-point effort by Ginobili to beat the San Antonio Spurs 91-89 on Wednesday night...

Ukic, a rookie, made two of the biggest for Toronto, following his 3-pointer from the corner with a running jumper in the lane to put Toronto up 90-89 with 20.8 seconds left.

“I really like those situations when I have the ball on top and I just think of scoring,” Ukic said of his go-ahead basket. “I feel pretty comfortable in this situation. I didn’t feel much pressure, I saw the lane was pretty much open and I just tried to go all the way to the basket.”

Ukic’s poise was no surprise to Toronto guard Jason Kapono.

“He’s a confident kid,” Kapono said. “He’s been playing pro since he was 6 years old. He’s been collecting a check for 20 years now. His experience is vast.”

Spurs guard Roger Mason said Ukic likely felt more comfortable knowing Calderon wasn’t available to replace him.

“For a rookie point guard, he took some big shots and made some big shots,” Mason said. “It’s like that sometimes when guys are injured and you don’t look over your shoulder, you just go out and leave it out there. I think his confidence improved every shot he made and he hit the biggest shot of the game.”

Looking Past Parker
    Driving to the Lane

Roko Leni Ukić scored 22 points on 9-13 shooting in 30 minutes off the bench, all career highs, in Toronto’s unlikely 91-89 win over the San Antonio Spurs.

And to make Ukic’s career night even sweeter for the Croatian rookie, his point total included hitting a couple clutch shots against not only one of the NBA’s better teams, but against an internatioal superstar point guard in Tony Parker... more
    http://www.interbasket.net/news/986/2009/02/12/roko-leni-ukic-scores-career-high-22-points-in-jose-calderons-absence/

I love this quote from the always-sarcastic Jason Kapono (whom score 21 of his own points): “He’s a confident kid. He’s been playing pro since he was 6 years old. He’s been collecting a check for 20 years now. His experience is vast.”

Stuart

If you understand Croatian - enjoy - beacause Roko has his own column:

http://www.kosarka.hr/main.asp?P=Vij...VijestID=26323
    http://www.kosarka.hr/main.asp?P=vij...VijestID=25808
    http://www.kosarka.hr/main.asp?P=vij...VijestID=25906
    http://www.kosarka.hr/main.asp?P=vij...VijestID=26014
    http://www.kosarka.hr/main.asp?dir=news&newsid=26568

He definitely has class to write reviews.

Toronto is tanking at the moment, so no need to say something special about Raptors, or perhaps Roko. Just sayin'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

Construction worker Valentino Vidić better than Roko Ukić!

Half-court shot offers more drama than Raptors

Mar 26, 2009 04:30 AM

DAVE FESCHUK

A Toronto construction worker had a chance to win $500,000 at the Air Canada Centre last night for putting a basketball through a hoop from NBA half court, 40-some feet away.

And for more than a moment – the only moment that approached the level of nail-biting human drama last evening, not counting the halftime log-on to Charlie Villanueva's Twitter feed – it looked as though Valentin Vidic might make that improbable heave fly true.

Before the big shot, after all, Vidic had a chance to warm up from closer range with some money on the line. They gave him 30 seconds to make a layup for $1,000, a free throw for $2,000 and a top-of-the-key three-pointer for $3,000.

He made the layup and the free throw on the first try, then swished the three-ball on his second go. Right there, in 20-something seconds, his night's work had out-earned some of the NBA players in the gym.

The NBA rookie minimum runs about $5,400 (U.S.) per game. And Nathan Jawai, the Raptor reserve who earned that rate for 35 seconds of on-court work last night, will presumably submit to paying taxes on the lucre.

If you'd seen Vidic practise in the two weeks since he found out he'd been selected as the winner, you might have possessed serious confidence that he was going to make the half-court bomb. In a pre-game warmup session on the Raptors' workout court, Vidic canned, by one count, eight half-courters in a brief shootaround.

"Dude was on fire in practice," said Cabral Richards, better known as The Score's Cabbie, who was the contest's promotional face and Vidic's on-court moral support.

At the very least, Vidic made a compelling case that he was the best Croatian shooter in the gym last night, and, as the Raptors continued to play out the string with a 115-106 win over the Milwaukee Bucks, certainly the only one playing with something on the line.

Watching Roko Ukic, Toronto's Croatian-born point guard with the notoriously wobbly jump shot, it's sometimes easy to forget that Ukic hails from the country that brought the game Drazen Petrovic, one of the NBA's all-time smoothest strokers of the ball.

Vidic seems to have the same gift of some of his country's great exports, even if he never played basketball at a high level, summing up the extent of his experience as "backyard stuff."

It goes to show there are some things you can't teach. Vidic's release looked a lot more economical than that of Ukic, who went 1-of-4 from the field last night. And that's not hyperbole.

Said Richards of Ukic: "Is he even allowed to shoot?"

Said Vidic, shrugging matter-of-factly at his knack for draining buckets: "Natural."

Last night, Richards was asked what percentage of the jackpot he would have pocketed had Vidic made good.

"At least one good night out," said Richards. "If he won the big one, I hope the kindness of his heart would have taken us to a place that rhymes with the glass rail."

Alas, six grand doesn't always go very far at places of that ilk, and Vidic said he'd likely use the cheque for a vacation.

As for his half-million-dollar heave, it was a frozen rope that had the rim in its line. It hit backboard. It hit back rim. It hit front rim. And then it hit the floor to the sound of an en-masse sigh.

Said Richards: "I thought it was good."

Said Vidic: "It looked like it had a chance. But I missed, and that's it."

That's not it. They're sending him the cheque for six grand, tax free, next week.
    http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/608562

Author is Dave Feschuk. Again. Why it doesn't surprise me?
    Comments on article say all.
    To attack an player because of a halftime promotions, that is disgusting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

ukic 10asists +8points vs oklahoma
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast