The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Alien 1-3" (to some degree also 4)
    As somebody has already mentioned its beaty stems from managing to actually convey a sense of evolution in the dealings between an alien species and humanity, something scifi-sequels not often excel in. The film sport a dark and depressing picture of humanity that - mostly worrysome - does not seem so far off the mark. At the end mankind comes to the arrars of enslaving and using the alien species to produce and develop new weapons and experimentate on them. With all regard the intentions of the Aliens (in one can speak about intentions in that regard) were much more honest and direct. The evolution of Ripley is particularly realistic, something that I think cannot be said about any action protagonist in any movie in any sequel.

Now to my recomendations:

Horror or splatter film without female nudity and female slaying, actually without one women to be seen in the film. Whatever you thinking, the film is bombastic with gags and shows that a horror movie can do without the former:
    "Bad Taste"

Psychologicaly disturbing or depicting psychological tensions:
    Next to the well known "A Clockwork Orange", films to watch are "Dogville" and "The Cube" and "Angst essen Seele auf" and "The Wave (1981)" and "Das Experiment".

Best literary adaptions:
    "The Shawshank Redemption", "1984" (with John Hurt)

Photography:
    "The dead zone"

Insight into the human scientific mind:
    "Pi"

Insight into the logic of time travel:
    "Los cronocrimenes" (or "Timecrime") (lovely: especially the moral implications)

Worst videogame adaption:
    "Resident Evil" beating "Mortal Kombat" by some distance

On Chess:
    "Chess Fever" (Russian, monochrome)

Comment

An animation... from 1914! Amazing if you ask me...

I found this on Totalfilm.com. Check their "features" section for lots of very entertaining lists and reviews.

5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

I wasted 2 1/2 hours last night watching Mulholland Dr.

I didn't understand a thing but watching Naomi Watts masturbating and crying (at the same time) was worth it. Totally.
        THE ONLY MAROUSSI FAN ON IBN+robbe
        Aris: check, Alba: check, Roma: check, Olimpija: check, Maccabi: check, CSKA: damn you Khryapa, Panathinaikos: check, Olympiacos: check, Partizan: check
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        A chuck fest combined with wwf-style defense which Robbe might have appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus on fire View Post
          I wasted 2 1/2 hours last night watching Mulholland Dr.

I didn't understand a thing but watching Naomi Watts masturbating and crying (at the same time) was worth it. Totally.
          You could have saved 2 1/4 hours by searching for those specific clips online

Anyone seen "Requiem for a Dream"? Most depressing thing I've ever seen.

Saw "The Blind Side" in the theaters in the winter. Everybody hypes it, but the movie itself was really so-so. Slightly entertaining. Great story though. Also watched "Up in the Air". Not bad, but not that strong an impression either.

Also watched >10 Chinese movies recently, the best of which is Cow (2009) but not sure if non-Chinese will get it.
          aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
            You could have saved 2 1/4 hours by searching for those specific clips online

Saw "The Blind Side" in the theaters in the winter. Everybody hypes it, but the movie itself was really so-so. Slightly entertaining. Great story though. Also watched "Up in the Air". Not bad, but not that strong an impression either.
            I really don't know why that movie have a such high rating on imdb... Not that good at all (me thinking). Sweet water and too much kissing ass...

I watched "A Serious Man" last night... Coens are crazy dudes. Very good movie.

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
              Yes to both. Really good one, though. I especially like how they work with sound and background noises. The fridge sounds like it was a monster straight from the abyss.
              Only Boris can judge me.

Comment

With a friend we went ambitious on it, and watched Mulholland Drive a few consecutive times, by taking notes, and could form an explanation in the end, though I forgot what it was, but there is a chance Lynch actually didn't have one.

Requiem for a dream was a very depressing and a very good movie for me too. Talking of actresses, Jennifer Connelly has looked extremely attractive to me ever since, and for her movies I'm kind of biased always.

Lately I've seen Paths of Glory, and it was excellent, excellent, excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                  With a friend we went ambitious on it, and watched Mulholland Drive a few consecutive times, by taking notes, and could form an explanation in the end, though I forgot what it was, but there is a chance Lynch actually didn't have one.

Forgive me for saying so but this is the wrong way to approach DL.
                  His movies are supposed to be experienced as a dream on an intuitive level.
                  Any attempt to rationalize takes away from that experience.
                  I would recommend Herz Aus Glas by Werner Herzog for being similar in intention.

Comment

Not all his films, though. Elephant Man, Blue Velvet (somehow reminds Mulholland Dr), The Straight Story (great title! ) were just as rational films as any other main stream movies. You could still see some irrational elements in each if you wanted, though.

I felt challenged with Lost Highway and MD, and couldn't help but analyze them, and I definitely had my pleasure in doing so.

Comment

Not all his films, though. Elephant Man, Blue Velvet (somehow reminds Mulholland Dr), The Straight Story (great title! ) were just as rational films as any other main stream movies. You could still see some irrational elements in each if you wanted, though.

I felt challenged with Lost Highway and MD, and couldn't help but analyze them, and I definitely had my pleasure in doing so.
                      Forgive me for being absolute.
                      I DO believe that a work of art belongs to the public after leaving the hands of its creators,to be interpreted and experienced at will.

As for DL's "straightforward" movies there is also Wild At Heart (except for the bar scene...)

Comment

Shutter Island. An absolute must see.

I was very disappointed with The Wolfman, what a bunch of crap... Who would say looking at it's cast.

Comment

Saw a French romantic movie "Clara et moi". Simple but good.

Also saw "lie with me" for the sex scenes. But actually kind of a memorable film.
                          aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
                            Shutter Island. An absolute must see.
                            A hideous rip-off with a plot twist telegraphing itself after the first hour.
                            Watch "Das Kabinett Des Dr Caligari" for the original idea.
                            Last edited by janos; 05-09-2010, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Anybody seen "The Fall" (2006)?

I'm so impressed. "Beautiful" movie, and this is not a randomly chosen adjective. Beautiful... Story is not original (it's the remake of a Bulgarian movie) but it's quite good still... Delightful opening scene, one of the cutest child actors ever, and simply amazing scenes.

Comment

Anybody seen "The Fall" (2006)?

I'm so impressed. "Beautiful" movie, and this is not a randomly chosen adjective. Beautiful... Story is not original (it's the remake of a Bulgarian movie) but it's quite good still... Delightful opening scene, one of the cutest child actors ever, and simply amazing scenes.
                                I have yet to meet someone that didn't like that movie. A bit unorthodox in some aspects, it was a great see.
                                The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information