Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movie Thread

The Shawshank Redemption is my absolute favorite movie of all time (there's a reason why it's #1 on IMDb's list of the greatest movies of all time). I also really enjoyed The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

GtM

My top 5 in any order:
    Pulp Fiction and Fight Club

Ratatouille
    Attached Images Attached Images

What does this have to do with anything?

SunOverHStreet

IMDB have a huge number of members, and as such it conducts large surveys. As you can see for yourself, 450,588 was the number of votes in "The Shawshenk Redemption" survey. That's a huge sample... It can't be wrong.

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadiosV2 View Post
    So quantity is everything? What is more reliable, 500.000 amateurs or 10 pros?
    500.000 amateurs...

Quote Originally Posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
    500.000 amateurs...
    If we're talking about movies - definitely.

So quantity is everything? What is more reliable, 500.000 amateurs or 10 pros? In any aspect. Let it be cinephils vs cine critics, medical encyclopedia readers vs doctors, streetballer vs pro ball player and so on...
    in medical stuff and all that you're 100% right because only the pros knows what they do and only they can do their job good enough. but when it comes to movies.. they are made for us the "amateurs" and not for the "pros".
    there are so many movies that the criticizers said their awful but they made hunderds of millions and people all over the world loved 'em.. it just doesn't work this way in movies.

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by Gytaz View Post
    If we're talking about movies - definitely.
    Of course that I'm talking about movies... I have my own integrity, my own taste for cultural offers. There's no critic or pro-whoever that can change my mind, or to tell me what is wrong and what is right. That's just pure crap...
    In this case what matters the most is survey, sample size of half-million votes is very, very huge. It's almost unmistakable...

GtM

ok then the best movies ever is Titanic,Harry Potter and Spiderman

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by GtM View Post
    ok then the best movies ever is Titanic,Harry Potter and Spiderman

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
    You missed a point here, this is more appropriate list.

Quote Originally Posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
    Of course that I'm talking about movies... I have my own integrity, my own taste for cultural offers. There's no critic or pro-whoever that can change my mind, or to tell me what is wrong and what is right. That's just pure crap...
    In this case what matters the most is survey, sample size of half-million votes is very, very huge. It's almost unmistakable...
    Obviously I agree 100%.

I guess the sample of 17.277.000 people who voted for NSDAP in 1933 was... almost... unmistakable.
    That's a completely unfair analogy.

I just wanted to point out that many people also liked Shawshank very much and if there are people here, who haven't seen it, they should give it a try.

The opinion of 400k+ people has more weight than just mine.

SunOverHStreet

I guess the sample of 17.277.000 people who voted for NSDAP in 1933 was... almost... unmistakable.
    Why are you trying to turn this in some other direction? You are talking about political elections, I'm talking about IMDB survey, did I miss something in between?

If you see the IMDb Top 250 list, I'm sure you'll find many movies that you like and many movies that are awarded by professionals. There will be always ones who'll disagree, but if you take into account that so many people watched it and voted(no matter how), it's simply unmistakable... The Shawshenk Redemption is one of the best movies, but nobody said that you have to respect IMDB's list blindly. It's not totally accurate, but if you take off numbers(since they're bothering you), it's basically the list of all time favorites on international level...

After those lists i put 3 years ago, I may add: In Bruges, Running Scared, and Michael Clayton were great! I also liked Coraline very much...

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorites, too. I recently watched The Great Escape (1963), and you could see some inspirations borrowed from there.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Good ones have been mentioned.

"Memento" is another one. Probably not my favourite movie, but the way the story unfolds is definitely surprising. Great concept.

I also liked "Syriana". Same goes for "Lucky number Slevin".

Interesting that all German productions in the IMDB top 250 deal with a historic topic: "Das Boot" - by Wolfgang Petersen, who is now doing all this terrible Independence Day, Day after Tomorrow, 2012 ... stuff - about a German U-Boat crew in second world war. Das Leben der Anderen - about the life of a Stasi leutenant in former East Germay. "Der Untergang" plays in the last days of the German Reich in Hitler's bunker in Berlin.

"The Pianist" [Polanski, not a German production] is a very impressive WWII movie as well imo.
    Last edited by robbe; 10-25-2009 at 08:16 AM.

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    After those lists i put 3 years ago, I may add: In Bruges, Running Scared, and Michael Clayton were great! I also liked Coraline very much...
    Great movies, I didn't see Michael Clayton though...

Quote Originally Posted by robbe
    Interesting that all German productions in the IMDB top 250 deal with a historic topic: "Das Boot" - by Wolfgang Petersen, who is now doing all this terrible Independence Day, Day after Tomorrow, 2012 ... stuff - about a German U-Boat crew in second world war. Das Leben der Anderen - about the life of a Stasi leutenant in former German Federal Republic. "Der Untergang" plays in the last days of the German Reich in Hitler's bunker in Berlin.
    "Der Untergang" and "Das Boot" are one of my all time favorite movies. An absolute must see...
    I like German cinematography very much, "Die Welle" was the latest movie that I watched and was very good.

Maybe you can help me with something, I watched some time ago a movie about German soldier who was arrested and taken to Russian gulag in Kamchatka or something. He later escapes, but the journey across Siberia and the hell that he went through, was just out of this world. I think it's based on true story. Great, great movie. Would love to see it again. Do you know(or anybody) it's name?

"Der Untergang" and "Das Boot" are one of my all time favorite movies. An absolute must see...
    I like German cinematography very much, "Die Welle" was the latest movie that I watched and was very good.
    I agree, very good movies. The aforementioned "Das Leben der Anderen" I can also recommend, in case you haven't watched it yet.

Maybe you can help me with something, I watched some time ago a movie about German soldier who was arrested and taken to Russian gulag in Kamchatka or something. He later escapes, but the journey across Siberia and the hell that he went through, was just out of this world. I think it's based on true story. Great, great movie. Would love to see it again. Do you know(or anybody) it's name?
    Hmm, sorry, but I don't know. Not this one?

http://www.amazon.de/Polumgla-Gulag-.../dp/B001PPG9TK

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by robbe View Post
    I agree, very good movies. The aforementioned "Das Leben der Anderen" I can also recommend, in case you haven't watched it yet.
    I didn't watch it, but I will certainly do. I hope there's a link for download...

Quote Originally Posted by robbe View Post
    Hmm, sorry, but I don't know. Not this one?
    http://www.amazon.de/Polumgla-Gulag-.../dp/B001PPG9TK
    No, it's not that. I couldn't rest until I find it...
    It's "So weit die Fe tragen", I highly recommend it, very good movie based on a true story.

Here's a link, somebody uploaded it entirely...

Of the 2 WWII movies mentioned that I've seen, "Der Untergang" is a classic, "Pianist" is cliche.

I also remember watching a German movie "Europa Europa" but don't remember too much of it.

This year's German movie "John Rabe" is very popular in China but I haven't seen it.
    aim low, score high

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast