The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Movie Thread

We don't have a movie thread (I guess there was one before the black-out). Here we can discuss on many subjects like which kind of movies you like, which are the best 5 movies you've ever seen, which ones was highly appraised but you found terrible, etc., anything you like.

Here I go:

I don't have that much of a selective taste in movies, but I usually like clever puzzle-like plots (like Memento, Usual Suspects, etc.). And I found out that "anime" realm is not for me. Mononoke-Hime, for example, was a terrible film, but it's a legend among anime-lovers.

And lastly, my favorite movies:

1. The House of The Spirits (1993, USA)
    2. Delicatessen (1991, FRA)
    3. La Fille Sur Le Pont (The Girl on the Bridge - 1999, FRA)
    4. Çiçek Abbas (1982, TUR)
    5. Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975, UK)
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

here are my top 5 films.. usually these differ because i have too many to choose

1. saving pvt ryan-usa
    2. infernal affairs-hong kong
    3. a clockwork orange-kubrick enough said
    4. seven samurai-akira kurusawa...genius!!!
    5. leon, the professional-jean reno is a bad ass!!! now normally i like to put in my comments on the french, but jean reno is an exception he is awesome!!! he is like the james dean of the modern times...minus the bisexuality thing. JEAN RENO FOREVER!
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

This is tought cause I like all kinds (ok, almost) of movies, but my favorites are:

1. Hoosiers (Basketball)
      2. Rudy (Football)
      3. Enemy at the Gates (Russian sniper)
      4. The Replacements (Football)
      5. Anti-trust and the Bourne dinasty (Bourne Identity and the Bourne Supremacy)

Sorry, but 5 is too few for the thousands of movies out there...

I left out I few, Coach Carter, Friday Night Lights, Gladiator, etc, etc...
      2008... Beijing, China
      2010... Vancouver, Canada
      2012... London, United Kingdom
      2014... Shoci, Russian Federation
      2016... Madrid, Chicago, Tokyo???

Comment

Fight Club, American History X, The Lord of the Rings, The Godfather, Kill Bill, Pulp fiction, Band of Brothers, Shtrafbat (the best russian movie I've ever seen), Eurotrip (probably you are wondering what the hell is "Eurotrip" doing around all these amazing movies, well I really enjoyed that stupid comedy). I am also a fan of TV show Friends and The Lost. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by 23_for_life
          Sorry, but 5 is too few for the thousands of movies out there...

I left out I few, Coach Carter, Friday Night Lights, Gladiator, etc, etc...
          Feel free to add as much as you like

look, I've made up a method to increase that number

Action/Adventure: Arlington Road
          Animation/Fantasy: Ice Age
          Comedy: Monty Python and the Holy Grail
          Crime: Usual Suspects
          Documentary: Baraka
          Family/Drama: Forrest Gump
          History/War: Shindler's List
          Horror: Ring
          Musical: I don't like musicals.
          Romance: Eternal Sunsihe of the Spotless Mind
          Science-Fiction: La Cité des Enfants Perdus (City of Lost Children)
          Sport: Rocky
          Western: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Comment

Action/Adventure: National Treasure
            Animation/Fantasy: Madagascar
            Comedy: Go!
            Crime: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barriels or Doberman
            Documentary: Washington Sniper
            Family/Drama: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
            History/War: Forest Of The Gods
            Horror: The Ring or Silent Hill, and I realy enjoyed both parts of Saw, but the first was better
            Musical: The Sound Of Music
            Romance: Shakespeare in Love
            Science-Fiction: Island
            Sport: The Longest Yard
            Western: Maveric
            I will add few:
            Comic-Strip Sin City or V For Vendetta
            Vampires Underworld and Interview With The Vampire
            Narcotics Never Die Alone
            One day the tides will turn
            One day the fields will burn
            One day the seas will churn
            The fury of our maker’s hand

Comment

I will probably forget several movies and edit every second day:

taxi driver, alien 1,alien 3, blade runner, the bourne identity, the bourne supremacy, l'ascenseur pour l'echafaud(sorry for the spelling-don't speak french), vertigo, eurotrip, brazil, skin deep, crouching tiger hidden dragon, chungking express, underground, 12 monkeys, life of brian, gatacca, ran, jour de fete, 1900, every frat-pack movie...

in random order and untill the next edit
              sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Small update.

I have watched "The Big Lebowski" some time ago and it was truly one of the best comedies I have ever seen. Another one, "Human Traffic" wasn't as impressive as everybody is talking about it, I think it lacked some story behind everything what's happening there. ;-( Anyway it is an unique movie, which is worth to see. Oh and I'm going to watch "Ringu" tonight, hopefully it will be better than the American version. ;-P

Comment

Originally posted by qiangdade
                  I will probably forget several movies and edit every second day:

taxi driver, alien 1,alien 3, blade runner, the bourne identity, the bourne supremacy, l'ascenseur pour l'echafaud(sorry for the spelling-don't speak french), vertigo, eurotrip, brazil, skin deep, crouching tiger hidden dragon, chungking express, underground, 12 monkeys, life of brian, gatacca, ran, jour de fete, 1900, every frat-pack movie...

in random order and untill the next edit
                  Really great movies here. Underground was "excellent", I love that film. Kusturica's best work, imo.

As for Alien series, I thought the best was the second ("Aliens"), which you excluded. The whole series is very good, and in terms of design, life cycle, biological background, and story, it introduces the most impressive alien of all times.

Today, I watched Scary Movie 4, and unsurprisingly it was poor. But the Shaq's free throw scenes in the beginning was enough not to feel sorry about the money I spent

Comment

My favorite directors are Lars von Trier, Ingmar Bergman and João César Monteiro, I enjoy any of their films. Other favorite films include (by random order):

"The Elephant Man" by David Lynch

"Offret" by Andrei Tarkovsky

"Kjærlighetens Kjøtere" by Hans Petter Moland

"Englar Alheimsins" by Friðrik Þór Friðriksson

"Nuovo Cinema Paradiso" by Giuseppe Tornatore

"Fíaskó" by Ragnar Bragason

"Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amelie Poulain" by Jean-Pierre Jeunet

"Italiensk For Begyndere" by Lone Scherfig

"La Pianiste" by Michael Hanecke

"Irreversible" by Gaspar Noe

"American Beauty" by Sam Mendes

"Der Untergang" by Oliver Hirschbiegel

I also enjoy the Dogma 95 movement of course and German expressionism films.
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Is this what we do when there is no basketball? sigh. ok you got me. what an interesting group you are. My favorite films are not all great artistic accomplishments; these are the ones I can watch over and over and over (and do. how sad).

My absolutely favorite film in the entire world is The Fisher King (Gilliam).

My rest of my favorite films, in no particular order:

The Godfather II (Coppola)
                      Star Wars (Lucas)
                      Tous Les Matins du Monde (Corneau)
                      The Piano (Campion)
                      Chasing Amy (Smith)
                      Casablanca (Curtiz)
                      To Have and Have Not (Hawks)
                      Rear Window (Hitchcock)
                      Trois Couleurs: Bleu (Kieslowski)
                      Schindler's List (Spielberg)
                      The Grifters (Frears)

There are no recent films on this list! How sad is that?
                      Michelle Tackabery
                      Tackabery Chronicle
                      Durham, NC, USA

Comment

Originally posted by mktackabery
                        Is this what we do when there is no basketball? sigh. ok you got me. what an interesting group you are. My favorite films are not all great artistic accomplishments; these are the ones I can watch over and over and over (and do. how sad).
                        Was that comment directed to me? If it was, well, those are the films I truly like, I didn't name them just to impress or make believe that I'm more sophisticated than the others you know I assure that I don't have that sort of personality
                        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

Just my list off the top of my head:

Kung-Fu Hustle
                          American Splendor
                          Run Lola Run
                          Amelie
                          Goonies
                          Spellbound
                          X2
                          Spider-Man 2
                          Shattered Glass
                          City of God
                          Lord of the Rings I, II, III

There are many others that I am missing.

Stuart
                          http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                          http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                          http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by sariss
                            Really great movies here. Underground was "excellent", I love that film. Kusturica's best work, imo.

As for Alien series, I thought the best was the second ("Aliens"), which you excluded. The whole series is very good, and in terms of design, life cycle, biological background, and story, it introduces the most impressive alien of all times.

Today, I watched Scary Movie 4, and unsurprisingly it was poor. But the Shaq's free throw scenes in the beginning was enough not to feel sorry about the money I spent
                            Underground of course the best kusturica movie. Alien 2 was the most action-splatter one of the other alien movies. If u check the rest of my favorites u will find that i have a thing for style and atmosphere in movies (alien 1+3, gatacca, brazil, blade runner etc). The alien design of H.R. Giger will NEVER be surpassed!

ps: Big lebowski of course in my favorites. I will update soon
                            ps2: favorite directors: Terry gilliam, (the early) ridley scott, martin scorsese, francois truffaut, wong kar wai, and others which i will add in the update
                            sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Hmm, you guys have some really good taste in film. Let me see. I love making lists. I haven't made one for cinema for a while though.

Action/Adventure: The General (1927)-Back to the Future (1985)-Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972)
                              Animation/Fantasy: Pink Floyd The Wall (1982)-Being John Malkovich (1999)-The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
                              Comedy: Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)-The Gold Rush (1925)-The Big Lebowski (1998) (btw- http://tinyurl.com/kw7yp -I think it's the director's cut)
                              Crime: The Usual Suspects (1995)-Se7en (1995)-Reservoir Dogs (1992)
                              Documentary: Le Peuple Migrateur (2001)-Mein Liebster Feind - Klaus Kinski (1999)-Bowling for Columbine (2002)
                              History/War: Der Untergang (2004)-Apocalypse Now (1979)-The Pianist (2002)
                              Horror: The Shining (1980)-Lost Highway (1997)-Repulsion (1965)
                              Musical: Dancer in the Dark (2000)
                              Romance: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)-Before Sunrise (1995)-Les Amants du Pont-Neuf (1991)
                              Science-Fiction: The Matrix (1999)-Delicatessen (1991)-12 Monkeys (1995)
                              Sport: Raging Bull (1980)-Rocky (1976)-Escape to Victory (1981)
                              Western: C'era una volta il West (1968)-Dead Man (1995)-Johnny Guitar (1954)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information