Filipino Ballers in the US...News and Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nardy
    actually this is also done in some schools here like Ateneo and La Salle who have alumni boosters which have strong connections with the shoe firms. Like last UAAP season, it was also Adidas who sponsored both the Green Archers and Blue Eagles.
    Yes But the players have their own shoe contracts unlike in the US. MAierhofer is under nike that's why he wears nike shoes despite dlsu being under adidas. That is also the reason why adidas cannot produce the jerseys with numbers.

Comment

JERRY CABALAG pepperdine
      sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

off-topic ..... news at the internet

Home > Pinoy Abroad > Top Stories
        Fil-Am students perform poorly in school - US study
        JOHN BRAMHALL, Philippine News
        11/24/2008 | 02:45 PM

SAN FRANCISCO - The more Americanized Filipino students become in the US, the worse they tend to perform in school. Such was the finding of a study of 10 urban communities across America conducted by the National Federation of Filipino American Associations (NaFFAA) of Washington, DC.

Speaking at the quarterly ‘Kapihan’ (‘Coffee time’) meeting of the Philippine American Press Club (PAPC) last November 15 at the West Bay Pilipino Multi-Service Center in San Francisco, Dr. Anthony Ogilvie, Executive Dean of Seattle Central Community College, spoke on the key notes of the study funded by Wells Fargo providing insight on the academic performance of Filipino students in 10 US metropolitan areas namely:

1) Chicago, 2) Honolulu, 3) Jersey City, NJ, 4) Las Vegas/Clark County NV, 5) Los Angeles County area, 6) Miami-Dade County, 7) New York City, 8) San Diego, 9) San Francisco, and 10) Seattle.

"In the older Filipino communities in this country (San Francisco, Honolulu and Los Angeles), some one-third of Filipino students are failing, while in cities like Miami, where the Filipino influx is newer, they’re doing well," Dr. Ogilvie said.

Himself a European-American born in Manila, Ogilvie summarized: "The more Americanized we become, the less well our students do. This study is a wake-up call."

Remarking upon how families in the Philippines differ from their U.S. counterparts, outgoing PAPC President Charito Benipayo said, "Even families (in the Philippines) with meager income try to get their children the best education they can."

Similar families in the US however, often find that making ends meet economically hampers their participation in their children’s school activities.

Hydra Mendoza of the San Francisco School Board pointed out that 36 percent of Filipino students in San Francisco dropped out of high school which, while still 8 percent below the district average, still constituted a cause for alarm amongst Filipino parents.

Concerning the nearly 19 percent of Filipino students in San Francisco who were limited English-speakers, she said, "I’m a big proponent of total immersion programs."

"We should be worried because the trends in the urban areas are not good," said lawyer Rodel Rodis of the San Francisco City College Board of Trustees.

Rodis also spoke on the trend amongst Fil-Am youth to allow social pressures such as drugs, promiscuity, gang affiliations and other social ills to encroach upon their academic performance.

Speaking on the need for role models and a better self-image to combat the "colonial mentality" still persisting amongst Filipino adults and youth in the U.S. as mentioned in the report, Rodis told of his efforts to have some schools in the Bay Area renamed after some prominent Filipino figures.

"All of my efforts were in vain," he said. "In this area, there are eight to 10 schools named for Blacks, five or six named for Chinese, four or five named for Hispanics."

But even in Daly City, that contains a significantly high population of Filipinos, he said, "No street or schools in Daly City are named for a Filipino."

He further pointed out that 10 years ago, there were 10 or 12 Filipino school principals in San Francisco. "Now there’s only two or three."
        LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
        Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
        THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rocketstar47
          JERRY CABALAG pepperdine
          Not in the lineup.
          Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by joesmoove059
            where did you get those infos??
            anyway, thanks,, Let's hope he'll grow taller..

is this in the same league as Ray Park's?
            it's his brother... half brother to be exact.
            "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Just read this news from yahoo Philippines just wondering why it was posted in yahoo Philippines.. Alfred Abuya - the name sounds like a Filipino but I doubt that he is part Filipino..

Discover the latest news and headlines on breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with photos and videos from trending hot topics to viral news.

LOS ANGELES, Nov 24, 2008 (AFP) - Bruins Cameroon centre Alfred Aboya is likely to return on Saturday after a left wrist exam on Monday showed he had not fractured it.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 23-year-old, a graduate student in his second season with the team, scored a career-best 22 points last Friday as UCLA, ranked fourth in the nation after a 3-1 start, defeated Southern Illinois 77-60.

But Aboya fell and landed heavily upon his left wrist with 3:38 remaining in the game. Doctors conducted on MRI exam here on Monday on Aboya to conclude he was fit to play.

As a result, he is expected to play on Saturday when the Bruins face Florida International.
              island hopping in cebu anyone??

Comment

Aboya is Cameroonian. No trace of Pinoy blood in him.
                Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedAmeircanTikiTiki
                  Just read this news from yahoo Philippines just wondering why it was posted in yahoo Philippines.. Alfred Abuya - the name sounds like a Filipino but I doubt that he is part Filipino..

Discover the latest news and headlines on breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with photos and videos from trending hot topics to viral news.

LOS ANGELES, Nov 24, 2008 (AFP) - Bruins Cameroon centre Alfred Aboya is likely to return on Saturday after a left wrist exam on Monday showed he had not fractured it.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 23-year-old, a graduate student in his second season with the team, scored a career-best 22 points last Friday as UCLA, ranked fourth in the nation after a 3-1 start, defeated Southern Illinois 77-60.

But Aboya fell and landed heavily upon his left wrist with 3:38 remaining in the game. Doctors conducted on MRI exam here on Monday on Aboya to conclude he was fit to play.

As a result, he is expected to play on Saturday when the Bruins face Florida International.
                  its stated that he is Cameroonian, from a country named Cameroon in Africa. Read the article first before posting stuff
                  you know why I am happy

Comment

^^ paxur ui (hambugero) ... trans.:wanabee administrator
                    i read it offcourse b4 i posted it.. I was just wondering why it was posted in yahoo philippines.. Maybe his father has filipino blood in him.. just curious..
                    Last edited by UnitedAmeircanTikiTiki; 11-25-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedAmeircanTikiTiki
                      ^^ paxur ui (hambugero) ... trans.:wanabee administrator
                      i read it offcourse b4 i posted it.. I was just wondering why it was posted in yahoo philippines.. Maybe his father has filipino blood in him.. just curious..
                      hey im not here to argue but sometimes you have to read first before making assumptions on things even if its written on yahoo phils(yahoo phils adds news that are also written on the mainpage of yahoo). Maraming namamatay on sa maling akala trans: misconceptions can lead you to death.
                      you know why I am happy

Comment

"Aboya" is a Cameroonian surname.
                        Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by b3lowzro
                          hey im not here to argue but sometimes you have to read first before making assumptions on things even if its written on yahoo phils(yahoo phils adds news that are also written on the mainpage of yahoo). Maraming namamatay on sa maling akala trans: misconceptions can lead you to death.
                          Are you sure about that???
                          try reading:
                          Yahoo Philippines
                          Go beyond news and email. Get finance, lifestyle and other fresh content daily. See now.

Yahoo Main Page
                          Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

-->> I think I'm not the one who's not reading..
                          I'm not here to argue either but I'm just correcting your assumptions
                          that I'm the one who's not reading..

Comment

Originally posted by JonarSabilano
                            "Aboya" is a Cameroonian surname.
                            tnx for the info..

Comment

No sign of Gian Chiu in Oberlin's first two games this season. I hope he's not injured or something.
                              Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Aboya was (current Bucks starter) Luc Richard Mbah-a-Moute's compatriot in Cameroon!

"I have to tell you now, you take your final vow! Don't wait for me to lay my hands on you!"
                                -MAY THE STALLIONFORCE BE WITH YOU

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information