No announcement yet.

Filipino Ballers in the US...News and Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia, Mo. - Mizzou's Jordan Clarkson was named the Southeastern Conference Player of the Week in men's basketball on Monday. The junior guard from San Antonio averaged 22 points and 3.5 assists for the Tigers in wins against Southern Illinois (72-59) and Hawaii (92-80).

It's Clarkson's first Player of the Week honor at Missouri and he becomes the second Tiger honored by the conference office in as many weeks. Freshman Wes Clark was named the SEC Freshman of the Week last Monday.

Clarkson was fantastic in wins against the Salukis and Rainbow Warriors. He opened the week with a career high 31 points on 12-of-18 shooting vs. Southern Illinois, while also dishing a team-leading five assists.

He then scored 13 points and dished two assists in 23 minutes against Hawaii. Clarkson played just three first-half minutes on Saturday at Kansas City's Sprint Center due to foul trouble, but responded well in the second half, scoring nine of his 13 points in the final period.

While Monday's honor was Clarkson's first at Missouri he was named the Conference USA Player of the Week on Jan. 30, 2012, while at Tulsa.

Comment

• ESTERO, Fla. -- Matthew Wright scored a career-high 32 points to lead St. Bonaventure to an 83-71 win over Southern Illinois in an opening-round game of the inaugural Gulf Coast Showcase Monday night.

The Bonnies (4-1) picked up their fourth win in five games by shooting 29 of 55 from the field, connecting on 10 of 21 from beyond the 3-point line.
      St. Bonaventure advances to play Wagner in a second-round game Tuesday night. The Salukis (1-4) play Stetson.
      Wright connected on 11 of 21 shots from the field and was 5 of 10 from long range. Dion Wright added 15 points for St. Bonaventure and Charlon Kloof and Andell Cumberbatch each added 11.
      Desmar Jackson had 25 points to lead Southern Illinois, with Jalen Pendleton and Anthony Beane each adding 13.
      The Salukis shot well from the field (23 of 42), but allowed St. Bonaventure to pull down a dozen offensive rebounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by gambitx View Post
        Wow Jordan Clarkson is going up.. now ranked 13th

http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft
        Wow!. . .hope he will raise his game further. . . if our biggies Fajardo, Slaughter, AVO will improve we don't to naturalize a center instead we can tap Clarkson as our naturalized player free of charge. . . MVP won't have to spent high-priced reinforcement like Douthit. . .

Comment

• Originally posted by FilWelsh View Post
          Wow!. . .hope he will raise his game further. . . if our biggies Fajardo, Slaughter, AVO will improve we don't to naturalize a center instead we can tap Clarkson as our naturalized player free of charge. . . MVP won't have to spent high-priced reinforcement like Douthit. . .
          The big advantage of this approach is you don't have to go through the long process of congress etc and pass it into law to naturalise hiim. In the eyes of our law he is already Filipino , just give him a passport. It's only in the eyse of FIBA that he will be classified as a naturalised player
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
          https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• quick question though has Jordan Clarkson represented the US in any age group FIBA event in the past?
            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• The possibility is really intriguing. A five of : Castro , Clarkson , Norwood, Japeth and Fajardo for 2015 FIBA is really not bad at all. It actually plays to our Dribble drive strength. We will create all kinds of mismatches with our speed. Seriously this line-up could cause Iran more problems than a Doulthit centered focusd team. I’ll see what Chot thinks of the idea

Comment

• can jordan clarkson represent us in the asian games?

But it would be hard to get him, as nba summer league would be going on by the time.

Comment

• i don't really want to rain on anyone's parade or shatter anyone's Gilas fantasy lineup but I don't think Clarkson would be eligible to play for Gilas...I'd like him to but I dont really think he could be a part of the national team.If sir Nardz was right, I dont even think Matt Wright will bee playing too, but comparing Wright and Clarkson's eligibility Wright could represent the national team without any Fiba eligibility issues having t.o play for the youth team before but I heard he was not interested in suting fr the RP team again..anyways, sayang
                  "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                    i don't really want to rain on anyone's parade or shatter anyone's Gilas fantasy lineup but I don't think Clarkson would be eligible to play for Gilas...I'd like him to but I dont really think he could be a part of the national team.If sir Nardz was right, I dont even think Matt Wright will bee playing too, but comparing Wright and Clarkson's eligibility Wright could represent the national team without any Fiba eligibility issues having t.o play for the youth team before but I heard he was not interested in suting fr the RP team again..anyways, sayang
                    well, I conceded the fact that Clarkson won't be eligible as natural born Filipino per se. But we can tap him as naturalized player thus freeing MVP shouldering a cost of maintaining a reinforcement like Douthit who haven't no previous personal connection with Philippines. With Clarkson he stated during my past communication with him that he is willing to don Philippine colors free of charge, the main obstacle that he want to finish his university degree before embarking life of a international baller. This was 3 years ago before his stock increases.
                    Last edited by FilWelsh; 11-28-2013, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• ^
                      Plus the cost and time to naturalise a player through congress. As a player who potentially secures his Philippine passport after 16 , he will take up the 1 alloted naturalisation spot in the eyes of the FIBA eligibilty commitee for the tournament he decides to participate in for the Philippines

As to timing assuming Jordan declares for the 2014 draft (mock draft 13th) , if you base it on Steven Adams timing, Adams could not suit up for the Tall Blacks when he was a freshman in Pitt, neither could he suit up on the summer that he was drafted 12th, but for next years world cup , Adams has decared his intent to play and Basketball NZ has confirmed their intent to pay OKC insurence premium for his rookie contract (it's not that big) , if things follow the same route as Adams , meaning Clarkson get's drafted iin the 2014 draft, he then could potentially play in the 2015 FIBA Asia .

Comment

• Wow his stock just blew up. He's now being compared to MCW.

Comment

• ^
                          barring injury or some trajedy i don't recal evar a projected lottery pick (13th) not making the NBA, at least on a 10 day contract. So really objectiely chances are this guy will play in the NBA

Comment

• Originally posted by FilWelsh View Post
                            well, I conceded the fact that Clarkson won't be eligible as natural born Filipino per se. But we can tap him as naturalized player thus freeing MVP shouldering a cost of maintaining a reinforcement like Douthit who haven't no previous personal connection with Philippines. With Clarkson he stated during my past communication with him that he is willing to don Philippine colors free of charge, the main obstacle that he want to finish his university degree before embarking life of a international baller. This was 3 years ago before his stock increases.
                            If Clarkson is really NBA material then maybe he'll have a good shot in the NT, but I guess it's not only me who thinks that we still need a big man who could dominate the boards, block shots and score almost at will at the low post. After all, we still have good enough players who could play Clarkson's position.We have Gabe Norwood,Matt Rosser,Ray Parks who are good 6'4-6'5 small forward guys that could score and defend. Sayang only if he was eligible, then maybe we could have the best of both worlds, a reliable scoring small forward and a dominant big man.
                            "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Here is the thing tough, given our unstable political situation and how difficult it is to naturalise a player through congress it's becoming more and more unlikely that we won't have a naturalised player through congress by the 2015 FIBA Asia.

That is why the option of tapping a Fil foreigner like clarkson who does not need to go through the tedious process of congress to fil in our one allotted naturalise spot per FIBA tournament could actually be our only alternative.

Comment

• Obviously the preference is to get a big man for our naturalised player where we have a shortage, however let’s not underestimate the disparity between a perimeter player who is an NBA lottery pick and a PBA local star. That could potentially be huge, that’s basically comparing the best 6’5 import with the best local.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information