Page 322 of 325 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,440 of 6492

Thread: Filipino Ballers in the US...News and Updates

just wait and see and then cry when Sage and other fil-am prospects put to waste by SBP...just wait ka lang hahaha lalo na si Sage is now 16 and wala pa ring passport hahaha
    Change has come

Quote Originally Posted by ichikiller View Post
    SBP is at full turtle speed in recruiting the best players abroad
    i repeat!
    FULL TURTLE SPEED!!!
    yeah that's the head of SBP today under Panlilio
    comfortably sleeping and letting all the best opportunity to slip past for our NT
    I don't think the current heads of SBP are interested to continue what MVP programs has started.
    mark my word all of the prospects you posted here will be put to trash bin
    trust me! none of these great prospects will be added.
    Let's just be content with our homegrown players.
    SBP is now the new BAP under panlilio
    What can we do if our former kababayan refuse to recognized their culture ans turn back on their roots... If the parents are just as enthusiastic as the Edu's and Kirkness we Sage wouod be poaying for Batang Gilas already.. But for every Edu and Kirkness there are the. DAVIDS, HEPA, MILLORA Browns who chose not to cooperate..

The SBP has continued to make overtures to Sage even after the supposed rejection months ago. Can't say much since I'm not in the position to divulge details, but people are taking the necessary steps.
    Keep running, big boy.

Quote Originally Posted by sajubeads View Post
    What can we do if our former kababayan refuse to recognized their culture ans turn back on their roots... If the parents are just as enthusiastic as the Edu's and Kirkness we Sage wouod be poaying for Batang Gilas already.. But for every Edu and Kirkness there are the. DAVIDS, HEPA, MILLORA Browns who chose not to cooperate..
    I still can't believe how we lost David. He was already practicing in Manila before he got a call from someone high up in the Canadian basketball echelons. Can't really say no to a former NBA MVP and possibly the greatest player north of the border.
    Keep running, big boy.

just wait and see and then cry when Sage and other fil-am prospects put to waste by SBP...just wait ka lang hahaha lalo na si Sage is now 16 and wala pa ring passport hahaha
    There’s nothing they can do if the parents and their children don’t want to play. You’re all talk lol

Quote Originally Posted by xenoloxy View Post
    There’s nothing they can do if the parents and their children don’t want to play. You’re all talk lol
    hahaha!!! all talk? lahat naman tayo dito all talk lang eh patawa pucha hahaha!!!
    there are plenty of notable forumers here na reliable talaga when they posts vital basketball information like sir Analyzed.
    then the rest of us here are just "all talks" at kasama ka na dun
    Change has come

hahaha!!! all talk? lahat naman tayo dito all talk lang eh patawa pucha hahaha!!!
    there are plenty of notable forumers here na reliable talaga when they posts vital basketball information like sir Analyzed.
    then the rest of us here are just "all talks" at kasama ka na dun
    Exactly.

What happened to Owen Graham?

It's actually not too dissimilar to NBA free agency or US college recruitment, at the end top prospects choose on the basis of perceived advantages for them - quality of the program, stature of coach, playing time opportunity, etc etc. Let's face it for prospects based abroad they're more likely to say yes and be pursuaded by a figure recognised internationally and with a background similar to theirs (Western) so they can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by xenoloxy View Post
    Exactly.
    and I'll be sad with the rest of you pag failed ang mission to get Sage
    ...actually other fil-ams 6'4" or 6'6" have no impact if we didn't get them...but 6'9" above prospects? that's a very big impact for NT if SBP failed the negotiations
    ...money is number one factor that's undeniable...mukhang pera na kung mukhang pera but that's how the world of sports go round.
    ...if SBP can invest big to naturalize players then why not also do the same to filipinos with foreign blood?
    although old topic na yan but still it is the main issue when recruiting
    Change has come

Here is something to note, for high school prospects (not 4 or 5 star recruits like Jalen Green), most parents spend significantly to get exposed to the best trainers and prep schools etc. If you can convince them that representing the Philippines includes quality exposure to training and is well funded, fully covered for parents (free) there will be takers.
    Note also is the SBP pitch has to include their dreams of playing in Div 1 basketball, it can't be a requirement that if you play for Gilas you have to forgo your dreams of playing Div 1, otherwise, there will be no takers

Quote Originally Posted by kerouac82 View Post
    I still can't believe how we lost David. He was already practicing in Manila before he got a call from someone high up in the Canadian basketball echelons. Can't really say no to a former NBA MVP and possibly the greatest player north of the border.
    We was already the #1ranked HS in Canada before he went to Butler... Then he had ACL, he only wenr home last year to practice here in Pampanga and NLEX.. He is a nephew of Long David, pero he thought he was that good that he turnes down offers to play for Philippines before.. In 2010,there is this Nico Monachini also from Canada, 6-6 doreard, highly receuites to play for Batang Gilas back then but he relented while Wright, Torres and Pascual playws for Gilas. Fast dorwars 10years later, the 3 had PBA careers while Monachini now doing 8-5 job in Canada...

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    Here is something to note, for high school prospects (not 4 or 5 star recruits like Jalen Green), most parents spend significantly to get exposed to the best trainers and prep schools etc. If you can convince them that representing the Philippines includes quality exposure to training and is well funded, fully covered for parents (free) there will be takers.
    Note also is the SBP pitch has to include their dreams of playing in Div 1 basketball, it can't be a requirement that if you play for Gilas you have to forgo your dreams of playing Div 1, otherwise, there will be no takers
    There is something wrong in the recruitment pitch if one of the requirement is to play for Ateneo or San Beda in order play for Gilas.. ARE you not included in the recruitment of Sage, maybe you could help put again this time...

Sage is NOT intersested for now. Even his parents is not interested. Looks like sage coach in markynoll stopped him. We must not expect too much on him, even he is in the pool.

Aaron Ganal is willing but his parents said that spain govt doesnt allow them.

Remy martin's passport is still 50-50.

Panopio is playing good with Dme.

Kai as we all know doing good in Tsf.

Btw, where is barefield now? He can go here in the phil and live here. Play in the pba and maybe get exempt.(If he wants too).

I have a feeling that QMB, Ballungay, And Artest/Harper will settle for pba in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Sage is NOT intersested for now. Even his parents is not interested. Looks like sage coach in markynoll stopped him. We must not expect too much on him, even he is in the pool.

Aaron Ganal is willing but his parents said that spain govt doesnt allow them.

Remy martin's passport is still 50-50.

I have a feeling that QMB, Ballungay, And Artest/Harper will settle for pba in the future.
    That's presumptuous.
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    That's presumptuous.
    Oh. Dont know meaning of that word so I googled. "mapangahas"? I dont think so. I juat stated what I observe and know about the prospects.
    Yes, I can be wrong but all of us here atleast made a mistake.

Ron Harper Jr (listed as 6'6 245 lbs) scored college career high 29 points in a loss

https://www.app.com/story/sports/col...80/4526309002/

ASU's Remy Martin having career year, among elite point guards

Big rivalry game this Saturday as Arizona State plays rival Arizona. Martin has scored 78 points in the last three games against the Wildcats, including 31 with eight assists in last year's win in Tempe.

He is averaging 19.5 points, tied for third best in the conference. He has scored 20 points or more in six straight games, five of those Pac-12 games — something that has not been done to start conference play by any athlete from any team since the 1996-97 season.

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/basket...nt-play-gilas/

Folks, meet Fil-Americans Jordan Bartlett and Ron Harper, Jr. (yes, the son of THAT Ron Harper), and Fil-Aussie James Matthew Laput.

jordan-bartlett-solo-8-20-2016
    Jordan Jose Mejica Bartlett
    birthdate: May 31, 1997 birthplace: Columbia, Maryland.
    height/position: 5’11 – Point Guard

Bartlett became somewhat of an online sensation a few weeks back after scoring back-to-back 40+ point games in the 2016 WBAC tournament held at the famous Rucker Park court in New York City. He just graduated school this June and, so far, has not yet committed to any college. His mom, Glad Mejica Bartlett, hails from San Antonio, Zambales and was raised in Quezon City.

ron-harper-jr-solo-8-20-2016
    Ronald Harper, Jr.
    birthdate: April 12, 2000 birthplace: Englewood, California, Chicago, Illinois.
    height/position: 6’4 – Guard/Forward

Ronald is the son of former NBA veteran and champion Ron Harper and Filipina Maria Pizarro. He played with Bartlett in the WBAC tourney this year and will also play for Don Bosco Prep this coming academic year. There is a small window that may make him eligible for our Batang Gilas U18 team in 2018 (together with Edu).

james-laput-solo-8-20-2016
    James Matthew Laput
    birthdate: August 26, 1996 birthplace: Perth, Australia.
    height/position: 6’9 – Center/Forward

Laput is a full-blooded Filipino who is entering his second year at Young Harris College in Georgia. He started playing basketball at 13 years old and has since moved to the States to fast-track his development. He has also seen action in the Western Australian Basketball League (WABL).

FOX Sports Philippines got in touch with all three players.

FOX Sports: How did you learn to play basketball?

Bartlett: Basketball has just always been my love and passion. It was always my first love. I was eventually discovered at a basketball camp by Stu Vetter, hall of fame basketball coach from Montrose Christian, where Kevin Durant went to high school. I also played in the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU), in the Filipino Youth Basketball Association (FYBA) and on to my last three years at Saint James.

Harper: I learned to play basketball from my mother and father. It was sir Bong who contacted my mother for me to play for Team Philippines at the WBAC showcase, and it was a complete success.

Laput: I learnt to play through the WABL in Australia. I have never faced Filipino competition of any sort, but I’ve played Australian ball for 4 years and American ball for 2 years, going into my 3rd now.

FOX Sports: How well are you in touch with your “Filipino side?”

Bartlett: Very well-connected. I actually attended pre-school for one year in the Philippines in Zambales. My parents have also kept me very connected to my Philippine culture through family, friends and the FYBA of Washington, DC. Of course, I have grown up on a steady diet of Filipino food. My favorite dish is beef sinigang.

Harper: I’m well in touch with my Filipino side. I’m very close with the Filipino side of my family — my mom’s side.

Laput: I am close with my immediate family and first cousins, who are in Australia. The rest of my family are in the Philippines.

FOX Sports: What have you heard about basketball in the Philippines or Philippine teams?

Bartlett: I have always known that it is the national sport of the Philippines. Aside from the pro teams, I have heard a lot about La Salle and Ateneo and understand they are considered college powers there, but I have also heard of other schools that are very good as well.

Harper: I’ve heard that basketball in the Phillipines is great and that they have great competition over there.

Laput: I have heard of the PBA, the PBA D-league, the college programs, and the national team. I know the country has a great league and massive fan base and that basketball is the national sport.

FOX Sports: What are your biggest strengths?

Bartlett: I have been told that some of my greatest strengths are my straight-line and side-to-side speed and my ability to create separation with my ball-handling. I have also been recognized for my leadership on the court and being a lockdown defender. I pride myself on being the first guy in the gym and the last guy out. I work very, very hard and am constantly trying to perfect my game

Harper: My biggest strength is using my God-given abilities to the best of my strengths. I also am a very good all-around offensive player.

Laput: I’m a bruiser. I like to get into the other team and play physical. I’m a traditional big man with a mid-range shooting game. Defense is and has always been my strong point. They say I’m a defensive anchor.

FOX Sports: Are you interested to play in the Philippines or for the Philippines anytime in the future?

Bartlett: Yes, I have always hoped to play there at some point in my career and have especially hoped to play for Gilas Pilipinas someday.

Harper: I am very interested in playing there and playing for the Philippines in the future.

Laput: My goal is to play professionally, and playing in the Philippines is a top priority.

By Enzo Flojo
    -----------------------------------------------------

I know that this article is a bit old(2016), but just want to know what are the updates on these guys? Are all of these three kids eligible to play for Gilas?

Bartlett and Laput are with DLSU (they both sucked lol), Harper Jr. I think missed the u16 passport deadline but is still open to play...
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

Page 322 of 325 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324 ... LastLast