Rise of Croatian basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of Croatian basketball

So, can we finally say that Croatian basketball is on good way to return on top?

NT is doing pretty well, even with what was kinda reserve team they did great on Olympics. With Vujčić and some other players returning it should be pretty good team.

Club wise its more interesting, Cibona finally got rid of Miličević and with new management and Peras in charge future looks bright. Some great players returned/joined the club this season and base for building even stronger team next season is there. Also worth mentioning is that Cibona will soon (1 month) have ready brand new 15.5k Arena ready for Euroleague games. Also Bartolomeu mentioned when he was there few weeks ago that they expect Euroleague final 4 to be there in next 5,6 years There were already plans to bid for hosting for 2011 but they skipped that and are now planing to bid to host 2012 final 4.

Zadar also has pretty great team this season. They doubled their salary budget this year, signed multi year contract extensions with their best players (Juby Johnson, Todor Gečevski...) so they also have base for future team sorted out. Also Zadar moved to new 9k Arena (Basketball center Krešimir Ćosić) which looks great

Biggest story tho is basketball club Split. Sleeping giant is on best way to became what it once was. Club and new Spaladium Arena (12k) signed 10 year contract last night with Global Spectrum, multi national company who among others own Philadelphia 76ers. Global Spectrum plans to invest some serious amount of money since as Dino Rađa said their wish is to make the team big in Euro terms again. Good old Gripe hall will be history since january in pro basketball terms and KK Split will only use it for trainings and friendly matches.

New Arenas:

Zadar (9000):

Zagreb (15500):

Split (12000):

Excellent post.
    Also the next Eurobaset possible should be Croatia, it would also make it easier for me to see a few games he he.

And a question, i few years back i think it was 3 or 4 i read in some Croatian newspaper about a kid who at i think 14 was already playing for his clubs senior team and was doing OK, he was almost healed as the next Petrovic, do you may be know who i am talking about and how he is doing now?
    I just know he wasn't playing for the following clubs lol: Zagreb, Split, Šibenka, Cibona, Zadar i would remember if he played for those clubs.
    My homage to The heroes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

Very nice arenas indeed. I hope those 3 clubs can become strong enough to compete with the best of Europe. It's always interesting to watch clubs from Croatia,Serbia,Slovenia cause upsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyosha12
        Excellent post.
        Also the next Eurobaset possible should be Croatia, it would also make it easier for me to see a few games he he.
        6 big Arenas will be opened this year so there's more than enough place to host such event. If we add Rijeka who will also build new big one in few years i think we might even be ready for World Cup.

Originally posted by Alyosha12
        And a question, i few years back i think it was 3 or 4 i read in some Croatian newspaper about a kid who at i think 14 was already playing for his clubs senior team and was doing OK, he was almost healed as the next Petrovic, do you may be know who i am talking about and how he is doing now?
        I just know he wasn't playing for the following clubs lol: Zagreb, Split, Šibenka, Cibona, Zadar i would remember if he played for those clubs.
        New Drazen Petrović appears every few months according to our media Without knowing the club its really hard to say

Comment

Croatian basketball must return to the greatness it once had. The country keeps producing top players and recently the NT has been improving steadily. Also those facts Cibos mentioned are very important, thanks for letting us know.
          Stick around Cibos
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

very interesting. thanks for the update

I think its really important for European basketball that teams in the Adriatic region remain strong.

Teams like Tau, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, CSKA, Siena etc might be the flag-bearers of high-level European basketball, but they do NOT develop players (they just buy buy buy) so its imperative that the Partizans, Cibonas, Splits and Olimpjas of the world stay strong...

Comment

Originally posted by cheezdoodle
              very interesting. thanks for the update

I think its really important for European basketball that teams in the Adriatic region remain strong.

Teams like Tau, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, CSKA, Siena etc might be the flag-bearers of high-level European basketball, but they do NOT develop players (they just buy buy buy) so its imperative that the Partizans, Cibonas, Splits and Olimpjas of the world stay strong...
              Well that's not exactly true for TAU, they are known for developing young players, the most recent examples are Scola, Splitter, Nocioni or Calderón.
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

of course u are right about Tau, and I stand corrected. I was thinking about the fact that they are one of the few teams in the ACB that do not have a partner in LEB to send young players down to. But of course they have done their role and then some in terms of developing great talent for Europe.

Comment

New sports centre in Split, named Spaladium Arena, almost finished:

Take a look

Click here to see and read more.

BTW Cheezdoodle, don`t bash TAU, please.
                  sigpic
                  ACB league
                  Scola & Ginobili 4 life
                  TAU & Lakers supporter
                  need4sheed.com

Comment

Now when (if) Zadar wins the 3 year contract for euroleague it should be interesting how Cibona will react. Zadar will definately stay competitive, OAKA and Pionir will get some "within euroleague" competition regarding the ambience during the match and that alone should win them few matches in the euroleague if only they won't screw up the team too much.

I am still hoping to see Split back and strong on the big stage. Nevemind the difficulties over the last 15 years Split is still a hotbed of european basketball.

...and his season things even look much brighter for Cibona, it was hard to see empty Dražen Petrović arena, while knowing Cibona has tons of supporters, that are just too dissapointed with the club's management.
                    All those 3 clubs have to get back to where they belong and already were in the end of 80ies and begining of 90ies...
                    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan
                      Now when (if) Zadar wins the 3 year contract for euroleague it should be interesting how Cibona will react.
                      The Euroleague contact is 1 year contract only, but every year, the club that has most points from last 3 years will compete... So, next year Cibona is sure, I think, but the year after that will be really interesting... Right now, Zadar is on a little decline, while Cibona is rising...
                      I changed my signature, now it says something completely different!

Comment

it will when Yugoslavia reunites

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information