Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The new VTB League

[I moved the posts concering the VTB League from the previous thread, I think the issue deserves a thread of its own. rikhardur]

Meantime the Russians are building the brand new league: VTB League after VTB bank - the main sponsor

"At the moment the system of the League is as follows: the first stage is a Promo-Cup in the form of Final Eight that is to take place in Moscow very soon – 20-22 December. The following teams are to take place there: Russian CSKA, Khimki and Dynamo, Ukrainian BC Kyiv and Azovmash, Latvian ASK, Polish Sopot and Lithuanian Zalgiris."

"16 clubs is not a final figure. From now on at least one strong club can be delegated from such countries as Czech Republic and Bulgaria. Romania is on the rise; their teams outplay ours in European Cups. And we cannot omit Maccabi from Tel Aviv. It does not matter that the Israeli club is not in the project now, they showed interest to the VTB League."

It looks like MTA has found another league to compete in
    Last edited by rikhardur; 10-29-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Can somebody elaborate on the "three final eights and a final four" system from 2009/10 on? I don't understand if they already want to increase the number of teams next season. If not, than well, it's a hand full of tournamants for the next years. Let's just see if VTB or other players want to proceed after the first few years and really build a full size league with home and away games, playoffs...

In principle, the idea of additional regional leagues sounds good. BalticBL, VTB league, Adrialeague. My guess is that the strong teams from western Europe (Belgium, France, Germany...) will follow this path sooner or later if their respective leagues can't develop as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bounce
    It looks like MTA has found another league to compete in
    LOL! Is this serious?

I'm wondering what would happen to the Baltic League. If Zalgiris, Rytas and Riga will compete in the new league, the national championships and cups, plus Euroleague or -Cup, there would hardly be any room for the BBL games, I guess. This should be an issue as soon as the VTB guys come close to their goal of a league with 16 teams and 30 games.

@rikhardur. By moving this topic into "more european discussion" you kind of made a statement – probably by accident - as you put this new league on a level with the regional leagues clearly geographically defined as Baltic League and Adriatic League are.

But is it really only a regional league? Or is it rather a eastern european alternative financed by Russia (as VTB's majority is owned by the state) to Jordi's Euroleague mostly backed by and put together from the mediteranean leagues? Even now the "regional" aspect is somehow defined in rather wide terms... if Maccabi really joins, we can't really consider it a regional league.
    Last edited by Gruebler; 10-29-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by porompompero
    LOL! Is this serious?
    Maccabi competed already in Adriatic League few seasons ago.

In my opinion,if considering this competition as business-project we can see some huge gaps. Yes sure, with positioning on the first stage will all be normal ( who stronger lithuanians or russians,ukranians or latvians ),an as regarding the profitable article, for example sale of tickets?..
    Clearly, that on the match of CSKA-Zalgiris the Moscow CSKA arena will be full, but on such matches as for example Dinamo-Barons or Triumph - Sopot, believe me no more than 800 fans will come. I,m sure that this tournament has no future. It,s would be 2-nd NEBL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruebler
    @rikhardur. By moving this topic into "more european discussion" you kind of made a statement – probably by accident - as you put this new league on a level with the regional leagues clearly geographically defined as Baltic League and Adriatic League are.

But is it really only a regional league? Or is it rather a eastern european alternative financed by Russia (as VTB's majority is owned by the state) to Jordi's Euroleague mostly backed by and put together from the mediteranean leagues? Even now the "regional" aspect is somehow defined in rather wide terms... if Maccabi really joins, we can't really consider it a regional league.
    Well yeah, but we don't know clearly what this league is yet Let's wait and see what happens, but you raised an important issue.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

It is written in Greece that Panathinaikos was invited together with MTA to join.

PAO, Maccabi, CSKA, Khimki, Dynamo, Zalgiris, BC Kyiv, Azovmash, ASK Riga, and Prokom Sopot all in the same league? Seems like an attempt to form their own new Eastern Euroleague.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Player
    PAO, Maccabi, CSKA, Khimki, Dynamo, Zalgiris, BC Kyiv, Azovmash, ASK Riga, and Prokom Sopot all in the same league? Seems like an attempt to form their own new Eastern Euroleague.
    It's not so strange if you know that President of VTB bank is Ostap Bender

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux
    It's not so strange if you know that President of VTB bank is Ostap Bender
    NEW VASUKI! And in 5 years they wish to see in tournament Los Angeles Lakers,San Antonio and football Chelsea... Our great POPULIST RFB president(Chernov) likes to tell beautiful stories. But in real,it,s just empty delusions...

/push

Any news here? Does this year's tournament take place? If I'm not mistaken it should be in only three weeks time or so.

Edit
    Ah. I should use google before posting questions to the public:
    draw results

Again, they clearly say that 2012/2013 they want to have a full league program with 16 clubs and home/away games plus playoffs/F4.

But there's also some form of caveat in regards to the current economic situation:
    Our League is a flexile project. Its structure can undergo different changes depending on the economic situation in our country and Europe."
    (Source as above)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruebler
    /push

Any news here? Does this year's tournament take place? If I'm not mistaken it should be in only three weeks time or so.

Edit
    Ah. I should use google before posting questions to the public:
    draw results

Again, they clearly say that 2012/2013 they want to have a full league program with 16 clubs and home/away games plus playoffs/F4.

But there's also some form of caveat in regards to the current economic situation:
    (Source as above)
    In Russia we have proverb: To talk is not to carry sacks... Our RFB president(mr.Chernov) likes to talk beautiful ideas, but from time to time his ideas looks like empty delusions.
    As for tournament bright future,i don,t no man. We don,t know what can happen with f..ng economic situation tomorrow, so why we must be sure that a tournament will exist the day after tomorrow...

Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Migelitas' post reminds us that it indeed takes place, starting today. Oh wait, it has started already.

Zalgiris - BC Kiev 67:74
    Zalgiris: Jonas Maciulis 19, Dainius Salenga 12, Loren Woods 10
    BC Kiev: Kenan Bajramovic 24, Scoonie Penn 14, Jovo Stanojevic 13

Khimki - Azovmash 74:54
    Khimki: Mike Wilkinson 13, Vitaly Fridzon 10, Kelly McCarty 9
    Azovmash: Uchenna Nsonwu 11, Simonas Serapinas 10, Dijon Thompson 9

CSKA - ASK Riga 80:67
    CSKA: Terence Morris 13, Erazem Lorbek 12, Ramunas Siskauskas 11
    ASK: Kaspars Kambala 15, Bruno Sundov 15, Aigars Vitols 14

Dynamo Moscow - Asseco Prokom
    Last edited by robbe; 12-20-2008 at 06:15 PM.

City of Kukoč, Rađa, Vujčić, Balić and Ivanišević

http://www.cskabasket.com/news/?a=news&id=6090&lang=en

C`mon, post somebody a video, please!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

Šiškauskas is a lucky bastard

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by jugoplastika View Post
    http://www.cskabasket.com/news/?a=news&id=6090&lang=en

C`mon, post somebody a video, please!
    There was just accident, not a fight or smth

Here you can watch the game, it happened on ~1:26:30. At first sight nothing serious, I even didn't notice that there was a contact, Planinic even managed to run to defence, but then felt bad. To be fair, it scared me a bit, cause I thought that it smth with his heart, especially when he collapsed when he was took out of the court But looks like everything will be ok with him

Semi Finals:
    CSKA - BC Kiev 88:58
    CSKA: Erazem Lorbek 16/7 rebounds, Ramunas Siskauskas 15, Trajan Langdon 11
    BC Kiev: Manuchar Markoishvili 17, Kenan Bajramovic 16/11 rebounds, Jovo Stanojevic 9

Khimki - Dynamo 67:61
    Khimki: Anton Ponkrashov 16/8 assists, Mike Wilkinson 10/9 rebounds, Jorge Garbajosa 10
    Dynamo: Bostjan Nachbar 16/9 rebounds, Travis Hansen 15, Hollis Price 9/4 assists

Placement Games:
    ASK Riga - Zalgiris 67:95
    ASK Riga: Kaspars Kambala 13, Bruno Sundov 12/8 rebounds
    Zalgiris: Paulius Jankunas 21, Mantas Kalnietis 16, Zygimantas Janavicius 11

Azovmash - Prokom 88:57
    Azovmash: Marc Salyers 21, Uchenna Nsonwu 16/14 rebounds, Simonas Serapinas 14/6 rebounds
    Prokom: Ronnie Burrell 10, Filip Dylewicz 9

Edit: Janavicius corrected
    Last edited by robbe; 12-21-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast