The new VTB League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new VTB League

[I moved the posts concering the VTB League from the previous thread, I think the issue deserves a thread of its own. rikhardur]

Meantime the Russians are building the brand new league: VTB League after VTB bank - the main sponsor

"At the moment the system of the League is as follows: the first stage is a Promo-Cup in the form of Final Eight that is to take place in Moscow very soon – 20-22 December. The following teams are to take place there: Russian CSKA, Khimki and Dynamo, Ukrainian BC Kyiv and Azovmash, Latvian ASK, Polish Sopot and Lithuanian Zalgiris."

"16 clubs is not a final figure. From now on at least one strong club can be delegated from such countries as Czech Republic and Bulgaria. Romania is on the rise; their teams outplay ours in European Cups. And we cannot omit Maccabi from Tel Aviv. It does not matter that the Israeli club is not in the project now, they showed interest to the VTB League."

It looks like MTA has found another league to compete in
    Last edited by rikhardur; 10-29-2008, 03:49 PM.

Can somebody elaborate on the "three final eights and a final four" system from 2009/10 on? I don't understand if they already want to increase the number of teams next season. If not, than well, it's a hand full of tournamants for the next years. Let's just see if VTB or other players want to proceed after the first few years and really build a full size league with home and away games, playoffs...

In principle, the idea of additional regional leagues sounds good. BalticBL, VTB league, Adrialeague. My guess is that the strong teams from western Europe (Belgium, France, Germany...) will follow this path sooner or later if their respective leagues can't develop as a whole.
    Blogging about German and European basketball (in German): gruebelei.de

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bounce
      It looks like MTA has found another league to compete in
      LOL! Is this serious?

Comment

I'm wondering what would happen to the Baltic League. If Zalgiris, Rytas and Riga will compete in the new league, the national championships and cups, plus Euroleague or -Cup, there would hardly be any room for the BBL games, I guess. This should be an issue as soon as the VTB guys come close to their goal of a league with 16 teams and 30 games.
        Only Boris can judge me.

Comment

@rikhardur. By moving this topic into "more european discussion" you kind of made a statement – probably by accident - as you put this new league on a level with the regional leagues clearly geographically defined as Baltic League and Adriatic League are.

But is it really only a regional league? Or is it rather a eastern european alternative financed by Russia (as VTB's majority is owned by the state) to Jordi's Euroleague mostly backed by and put together from the mediteranean leagues? Even now the "regional" aspect is somehow defined in rather wide terms... if Maccabi really joins, we can't really consider it a regional league.
          Last edited by Gruebler; 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by porompompero
            LOL! Is this serious?
            Maccabi competed already in Adriatic League few seasons ago.

Comment

In my opinion,if considering this competition as business-project we can see some huge gaps. Yes sure, with positioning on the first stage will all be normal ( who stronger lithuanians or russians,ukranians or latvians ),an as regarding the profitable article, for example sale of tickets?..
              Clearly, that on the match of CSKA-Zalgiris the Moscow CSKA arena will be full, but on such matches as for example Dinamo-Barons or Triumph - Sopot, believe me no more than 800 fans will come. I,m sure that this tournament has no future. It,s would be 2-nd NEBL.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruebler
                @rikhardur. By moving this topic into "more european discussion" you kind of made a statement – probably by accident - as you put this new league on a level with the regional leagues clearly geographically defined as Baltic League and Adriatic League are.

But is it really only a regional league? Or is it rather a eastern european alternative financed by Russia (as VTB's majority is owned by the state) to Jordi's Euroleague mostly backed by and put together from the mediteranean leagues? Even now the "regional" aspect is somehow defined in rather wide terms... if Maccabi really joins, we can't really consider it a regional league.
                Well yeah, but we don't know clearly what this league is yet Let's wait and see what happens, but you raised an important issue.
                Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                Artificial Nature

Comment

It is written in Greece that Panathinaikos was invited together with MTA to join.

Comment

PAO, Maccabi, CSKA, Khimki, Dynamo, Zalgiris, BC Kyiv, Azovmash, ASK Riga, and Prokom Sopot all in the same league? Seems like an attempt to form their own new Eastern Euroleague.

Comment

Originally posted by Basketball Player
                      PAO, Maccabi, CSKA, Khimki, Dynamo, Zalgiris, BC Kyiv, Azovmash, ASK Riga, and Prokom Sopot all in the same league? Seems like an attempt to form their own new Eastern Euroleague.
                      It's not so strange if you know that President of VTB bank is Ostap Bender
                      The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Originally posted by LuDux
                        It's not so strange if you know that President of VTB bank is Ostap Bender
                        NEW VASUKI! And in 5 years they wish to see in tournament Los Angeles Lakers,San Antonio and football Chelsea... Our great POPULIST RFB president(Chernov) likes to tell beautiful stories. But in real,it,s just empty delusions...

Comment

/push

Any news here? Does this year's tournament take place? If I'm not mistaken it should be in only three weeks time or so.

Edit
                          Ah. I should use google before posting questions to the public:
                          draw results

Again, they clearly say that 2012/2013 they want to have a full league program with 16 clubs and home/away games plus playoffs/F4.

But there's also some form of caveat in regards to the current economic situation:
                          Our League is a flexile project. Its structure can undergo different changes depending on the economic situation in our country and Europe."
                          (Source as above)

Comment

Originally posted by Gruebler
                            /push

Any news here? Does this year's tournament take place? If I'm not mistaken it should be in only three weeks time or so.

Edit
                            Ah. I should use google before posting questions to the public:
                            draw results

Again, they clearly say that 2012/2013 they want to have a full league program with 16 clubs and home/away games plus playoffs/F4.

But there's also some form of caveat in regards to the current economic situation:
                            (Source as above)
                            In Russia we have proverb: To talk is not to carry sacks... Our RFB president(mr.Chernov) likes to talk beautiful ideas, but from time to time his ideas looks like empty delusions.
                            As for tournament bright future,i don,t no man. We don,t know what can happen with f..ng economic situation tomorrow, so why we must be sure that a tournament will exist the day after tomorrow...

Comment

Video of the draw and comments (in Russian)
                              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information