X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to Jordan on their first World Championship qualification

Field is now

Turkey, USA, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Tunisia, China, Iran, Jordan, Australia, New Zealand.

10 down 14 to go.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Wild card teams for Turkey 2010

The FIBA Central Board will assign in autumn 2009 four wild cards to four countries that have not qualified until then according to the following criteria:

The criteria for the Wild Cards
      1. In order to be invited the team must have participated in the 2009 FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship.
      2. There can be a maximum of three teams from any one FIBA Zone.

Together with the above two criteria, FIBA shall take into consideration the following aspects:

Sporting Aspects
      - Popularity of basketball in the country
      - Quality and sporting results of the national team of the country
      - Quality of work by the National Federation

Economic Aspects
      - Involvement of local television and/or competitions in domestic and international basketball
      - Importance of country to FIBA's marketing and television partners
      - Importance of country to the Organizers of the World Championship

Note: The FIBA Central Board is the highest executive body of FIBA where 20 members and three ex-officio members meet twice yearly. The Board establishes the Internal Regulations and assigns the organization of all world championships.

Who are the teams that can get a Wild Card ?????

In Fiba Asia we have 2 good teams whom couldn't Qualify :

Lebanon (4th)
      Korea (7th)

In Fiba Africa we have 3 good teams....

Cameroon (4th)
      Nigeria (5th)
      Senegal (7th)

In Fiba America :

Canada and venzuela will have a chance for a Wild Card.

Cuz these four teams have the upper hand to qualify :

Argentina
      Brazil
      Purtorico
      Dominic Republic

Usually Europe have 3 of the 4 wild cards to WC but this time they may just have 2 cuz Turkey already qualified not like last tournaments when Japan ( 2006) and Usa ( 2002) where the hosts.......

As a conclusion, 2 of the following Teams will have a Wild card or at least one :

Lebanon*
      Korea
      Canada*
      Venzuela*
      Nigeria*
      Senegal
      Cameroon

Sooo Lebanon still have a chance to be in WC ( 13 DECEMBER 2009 MIGHT BE A GOOD DAY FOR US HOPE SO)

This is my Personal information if someone can help me with more information it will be great

Congratulations for Jordan and Tunisia for qualifing for the first time to WC
      Last edited by khaledlebanon; 08-16-2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by khaledlebanon View Post

Cuz these four teams have the upper hand to qualify :

Argentina
        Brazil
        Purtorico
        Dominic Republic

Usually Europe have 3 of the 4 wild cards to WC but this time they may just have 2 cuz Turkey already qualified not like last tournaments when Japan ( 2006) and Usa ( 2002) where the hosts.......

As a conclusion, 2 of the following Teams will have a Wild card or at least one :

Lebanon*
        Korea
        Canada*
        Venzuela*
        Nigeria*
        Senegal
        Cameroon

I'd include Uruguay,Taiwan and Panama, too, and let see how Mexico does with its team complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
          I'd include Uruguay,Taiwan and Panama, too, and let see how Mexico does with its team complete.
          Panama can't get a wild card since they will not play in fiba america maybe uruaguay but still they didn't qualify to world cup in 2002 and 2006 ...
          Taiwan is 5th in asia gd for them but Lebanon is way better last time we played against them in taiwan and without our full rosters we beat them by 20 points on their own court plus they didn't ever qualified to world cup!!!!!

i think the wild card will be between Lebanon, Nigeria, Venzuela and Canada

Canada last time they qualified to word cup was in 2002 and they lost all 3 games in first round, while Lebanon qualified in 2002 and 2006, in 2006 we won 2 of 5 matches on France and venzuela and we were very close to play in 2nd round....

Venzuela also qualified to WC 2002 and 2006 but we won on them by 10 points in WC 2006 Plus that in 2007 they were 7th in fiba america while we in asia from 2001 we always are in semi final (5 times) plus (3 finals) this year must have been in the final and not china but becuz of a referre's mistake in last 50 second when the score was 68-68 ... we lost 71-68 :@ ( he gave china a foul with 3 free throws from no where plus give 2 fouls on our 2 main player rony and matt in last 2 mins and they were foul out)

Nigeria didn't even qualify to semi in africa although they played well in WC 2006 thry also won 2 games from 5....

Last edited by khaledlebanon; 08-16-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Great couple of posts khaledlebanon

Though one quibble, Panama is playing in the 2009 Americas. While they didn't initially qualify they're replacing Cuba who backed out of the tournament.

Aside from that I agree
            Canada*
            Venezuela*
            Lebanon
            Korea
            Nigeria
            Senegal
            Cameroon

*Assuming they don't qualify.

I'd say if Canada fields a competitive team as they did 2007 (where they finished 5th, with the A squad US competing), they will be the odds on favorite to get the wild card IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
              Great couple of posts khaledlebanon

Though one quibble, Panama is playing in the 2009 Americas. While they didn't initially qualify they're replacing Cuba who backed out of the tournament.

Aside from that I agree
              Canada*
              Venezuela*
              Lebanon
              Korea
              Nigeria
              Senegal
              Cameroon

*Assuming they don't qualify.

I'd say if Canada fields a competitive team as they did 2007 (where they finished 5th, with the A squad US competing), they will be the odds on favorite to get the wild card IMO.
              I think as usual europe will get 3 wild cards which is not fair cuz they already have 6 cards plus Turkey the host and with 2 wild cards will be enough and they will have 9 ... with one wild card for fiba america ... and one for africa and asia which wil go to Lebanon cuz we deserved to be in the final but the mistakes that the referee made in the match Lebanon vs China and especially in the last minute when the score 68-68 let us lose the match 71-68??? We really deserve to be in WC cuz we have a very good team plus basketball is very important to Lebanon :S GOO LEBANON i will always have faith in u ...
              Last edited by khaledlebanon; 08-17-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I don't understand why FIBA doesn't have an additional qualifying tournament for determining the wild cards? Any team that doesn't receive the wild card, they're going to be pissed, at least with a tournament, it's left up to the teams...

Stuart
                http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuart View Post
                  I don't understand why FIBA doesn't have an additional qualifying tournament for determining the wild cards? Any team that doesn't receive the wild card, they're going to be pissed, at least with a tournament, it's left up to the teams...

Stuart
                  Agreed, some people complain about too many games but honestly just play the tournament instead of some of those warm up friendlies. Make it like the 5 and 6, from the americas, 4 and 5 from asia and africa, and 7 and 8 from Europe. 8 team tournament, settle it on a the court.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                    Agreed, some people complain about too many games but honestly just play the tournament instead of some of those warm up friendlies. Make it like the 5 and 6, from the americas, 4 and 5 from asia and africa, and 7 and 8 from Europe. 8 team tournament, settle it on a the court.
                    Thats good, I think the last year tournament in Athens to qualified for the Olympics had all in favor of Euro teams.... this one is much better...8 teams, two teams by continents, 4 spots to the WC.
                    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Originally posted by PRSURF View Post
                      Thats good, I think the last year tournament in Athens to qualified for the Olympics had all in favor of Euro teams.... this one is much better...8 teams, two teams by continents, 4 spots to the WC.
                      I also like that. Fair as fair gets.

They have qualifying tournaments for everything else so I don't understand this decision other than giving preference to teams that FIBA would LIKE to see in the tournament (and I am not a conspiracy guy).

By the time the World Championships roll around, a team that placed fourth in regional may be completely different, due to injuries, etc. than the actual one going to the WBC.

A qualifying tournament a month or two before the WBC would ensure a strong roster more than just handpicking a team whose roster may be different 8-9 months after their fourth, fifth, whatever finish.

Stuart
                      http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                      http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                      http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

I agree that such tournament would be fairest way, but think about those teams, players, who must play two serious tournaments during one summer and that AQT (additional qualifying tournament) it's not like friendlies, you want it or not, you must have usual preparation camp,friendlies before AQT to get ready to it, to pick the best players, just like before WC, so that means that players after long clubs' season, almost without a break should join NT camps. Maybe such problem exist only in Europe, maybe in other continents not, cause I'm not familiar with all the competitions closely and when they're starting/finishing.
                        And it's way too long, players might get tired, might pick the best shape in AQT and then they won't be at their best in final tournament and etc.
                        I think FIBA should get rid at all this wildcards thing. Share those free places to continents somehow and that's all. Maybe it should be based on last WC and OG results, maybe some other criterias and let the teams decide it in local champs

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          And it's way too long, players might get tired, might pick the best shape in AQT and then they won't be at their best in final tournament and etc.
                          I don't see that as a problem, it's a price you'd pay for not qualifying directly from the zonal championship.

If a tournament is too much, you could split eight teams up into four pairings have have home-away total points series, or best of three, or even single games at neutral sites.
                          Originally posted by Fedfan
                          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                          Originally posted by GuTO
                          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
                            I don't see that as a problem, it's a price you'd pay for not qualifying directly from the zonal championship.

If a tournament is too much, you could split eight teams up into four pairings have have home-away total points series, or best of three, or even single games at neutral sites.
                            A Round robin would probaly be an easier and quicker solution.

The only problem I see with this is economically. It'd be an additional expense for some Federations that barely recieve money from their goverments.

I mean, suppose The Virgin Island doesn't qualify and have to go through this tourney. We are talking about a really good team here whose federation always have problems gathering all its players due to their lack of money

and the fact It gets really hard to have all their players together for a tournament like this for most teams with NBA players and NCAA players. What's more, European clubs don't really like to lend their players to their respective national team for those kinda tournaments either.
                            Last edited by Lewis; 08-20-2009, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Rumors in the italian media today that Italy will have a wild card for the WC for just... 500k euros.

It should be a "favour" by FIBA for the 2014 WC assigned to Spain and not Italy...

But if Recalcati remains our coach, i prefer to stay at home!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxicity View Post
                                Rumors in the italian media today that Italy will have a wild card for the WC for just... 500k euros.

It should be a "favour" by FIBA for the 2014 WC assigned to Spain and not Italy...

But if Recalcati remains our coach, i prefer to stay at home!!!
                                Only if FIBA blatantly ignores their own rules...which sadly I can I can see them doing.

Seriously the first rule on wild card selection is you must play in your region's championship tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information