X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wait for Lebanon

Comment

After watching the Asian Championships, I'd say barring upsets the odd team left out of China, Iran, Jordan, and Lebanon might be the best bet.

That said the only team I'd put money on getting a wild card from Asia is China if they happened to somehow get upset. Course they would almost have to lose in the round of 8, if they make the final 4 I can't see China losing two straight games.
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

IMO only these countries deserve to get wild cards if they don't qualify:

Oceania: won't have wild cards as there are 2 slots for 2 countries

Asia: China, maybe Lebanon

Africa: Angola

Americas: Argentina, Canada, Brazil, Puerto Rico, maybe Venezuela

Europe: France*, Italy*, Spain, Lithuania, Greece, Serbia, Germany, Russia

France and Italy, although deserving, will not get wild card if they don't play in Eurobasket 09 as the rule states "must have participated in the 2009 FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship".

Japan WTF are you kidding me? No basketball following + bad team even in Asia
        aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
          I'd guess like that:

Asia: China, Lebanon, Iran
          Africa: Angola, Nigeria, Senegal
          Americas: Brasil, Argentina, Puerto-Rico, Dominican Rep.
          Europe: Spain, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece, Lithuania, France
          Wldcards: hard to guess now, but somehow I'm sure that Russia will get one, cause they didn't get it 4 years back, then a lot will depend on results in continental champs
          oops
          It's OK I would have guessed them too
          aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
            IMO only these countries deserve to get wild cards if they don't qualify:

Oceania: won't have wild cards as there are 2 slots for 2 countries

Asia: China, maybe Lebanon

Africa: Angola

Americas: Argentina, Canada, Brazil, Puerto Rico, maybe Venezuela

Europe: France*, Italy*, Spain, Lithuania, Greece, Serbia, Germany, Russia

France and Italy, although deserving, will not get wild card if they don't play in Eurobasket 09 as the rule states "must have participated in the 2009 FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship".

Japan WTF are you kidding me? No basketball following + bad team even in Asia
            Venezuela
            LOL hahahaha you guys a a lotta imagination

There' are at least 7 teams better than Venezuela in The Americas right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              Venezuela
              LOL hahahaha you guys a a lotta imagination

There' are at least 7 teams better than Venezuela in The Americas right now.
              Even if that were true, which is probably not, if you would read the guideline posted by Dtown above you will know it's not just about the strength of the team

Venezuela was in the 2006, 2002 WBC's and certainly has more basketball tradition than Mexico... FIBA-Ranking wise they are also way ahead of most S. American nations... and don't tell me that's not accurate blah blah that's definitely what FIBA uses: their own ranking!

Even I didn't think they have a large shot which is why I said "maybe"
              aim low, score high

Comment

Even if that were true, which is probably not, if you would read the guideline posted by Dtown above you will know it's not just about the strength of the team

Venezuela was in the 2006, 2002 WBC's and certainly has more basketball tradition than Mexico... FIBA-Ranking wise they are also way ahead of most S. American nations... and don't tell me that's not accurate blah blah that's definitely what FIBA uses: their own ranking!

Even I didn't think they have a large shot which is why I said "maybe"
                Well All I'm saying is that "RIGHT NOW" Puerto Rico, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Uruguay, The Dominican Republic, and Mexico (only with its Whole team, including Najera, and Watson) are all better Teams than Venezuela, While Panama and The Virgin Island are at the same level.

2006 and 2002 are part of the past now. (some teams get stronger while others get weaker, THAT'S LIFE MY DEAR)

BTW; I'm takling about Strengh (not the other criteria used for the Wild Card)

Comment

BTW; I'm takling about Strengh (not the other criteria used for the Wild Card)
                  You are in the wrong thread then...
                  aim low, score high

Comment

You are in the wrong thread then...
                    so you're telling me that "strengh" does not matter when it comes to "wild cards" !!!!!!

Why doesn't FIBA give wild cards to San Marino then or Liberia, or you know what let's give Sri Lanka a wild card.

You see my point now
                    Last edited by Lewis; 08-14-2009, 05:50 AM.

Comment

so you're telling me that "strengh" does not matter when it comes to "wild cards" !!!!!!
                      strength "RIGHT NOW" has nothing to do with "wild cards". Yes, you are correct.

If Sri Lanka were the 2004 Olympic Champion, it really doesn't matter if they finished 16th in Asia, they will still be chosen as a "wild cards".

You just don't get it. I won't pursue this further.
                      aim low, score high

Comment

Congrats to Angola and Côte d'Ivoire as they officially join USA, Turkey, Australia (though unofficial), New Zealand (also unofficial) in the World Championships.

Jordan, Iran, China, and Lebanon all getting their chance later tonight (or today depending on your timezone).

Comment

China and Iran are in. Jordan and Lebanon will fight out for the Bronze in the Asian Championship. If there's a wild card given to Asia, it could be to the loser of Jordan and Lebanon or to the surprise of the tournament Taiwan. They played real well, and upset Korea for 5th place. With a strong tournament plus a large basketball following in Taiwan, they have a small chance.

Comment

Congrats to Tunisia for their first ever qualification to the world championships, all and all a surprising tournament out of them, but well deserved.

I'd imagine Nigeria, Cameroon, and Senegal would have the best odds for a wild card. But I put those odds at slim to none.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShot View Post
                              China and Iran are in. Jordan and Lebanon will fight out for the Bronze in the Asian Championship. If there's a wild card given to Asia, it could be to the loser of Jordan and Lebanon or to the surprise of the tournament Taiwan. They played real well, and upset Korea for 5th place. With a strong tournament plus a large basketball following in Taiwan, they have a small chance.
                              Absolutely

I think, The Philippines, just like Japan, is out of the Picture as a wild card candidate by now.

by the way the supposed "GFavorite Teams" have been playing in their respective ChampionshipsAsian, Africa), I honestly see The Americas getting a wild card while Europe get the rest 3. I guess that means Argentina won't take the FiBa Americas Championship seriously then.

Comment

China and Iran are pending sans ranking by virtue of winning the FIBA Asia Qualifying Tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information