Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 World Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Venezuela
    LOL hahahaha you guys a a lotta imagination

There' are at least 7 teams better than Venezuela in The Americas right now.
    Even if that were true, which is probably not, if you would read the guideline posted by Dtown above you will know it's not just about the strength of the team

Venezuela was in the 2006, 2002 WBC's and certainly has more basketball tradition than Mexico... FIBA-Ranking wise they are also way ahead of most S. American nations... and don't tell me that's not accurate blah blah that's definitely what FIBA uses: their own ranking!

Even I didn't think they have a large shot which is why I said "maybe"
    aim low, score high

Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Even if that were true, which is probably not, if you would read the guideline posted by Dtown above you will know it's not just about the strength of the team

Venezuela was in the 2006, 2002 WBC's and certainly has more basketball tradition than Mexico... FIBA-Ranking wise they are also way ahead of most S. American nations... and don't tell me that's not accurate blah blah that's definitely what FIBA uses: their own ranking!

Even I didn't think they have a large shot which is why I said "maybe"
    Well All I'm saying is that "RIGHT NOW" Puerto Rico, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Uruguay, The Dominican Republic, and Mexico (only with its Whole team, including Najera, and Watson) are all better Teams than Venezuela, While Panama and The Virgin Island are at the same level.

2006 and 2002 are part of the past now. (some teams get stronger while others get weaker, THAT'S LIFE MY DEAR)

BTW; I'm takling about Strengh (not the other criteria used for the Wild Card)

BTW; I'm takling about Strengh (not the other criteria used for the Wild Card)
    You are in the wrong thread then...
    aim low, score high

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    You are in the wrong thread then...
    so you're telling me that "strengh" does not matter when it comes to "wild cards" !!!!!!

Why doesn't FIBA give wild cards to San Marino then or Liberia, or you know what let's give Sri Lanka a wild card.

You see my point now
    Last edited by Lewis; 08-14-2009 at 05:50 AM.

so you're telling me that "strengh" does not matter when it comes to "wild cards" !!!!!!
    strength "RIGHT NOW" has nothing to do with "wild cards". Yes, you are correct.

If Sri Lanka were the 2004 Olympic Champion, it really doesn't matter if they finished 16th in Asia, they will still be chosen as a "wild cards".

You just don't get it. I won't pursue this further.
    aim low, score high

Congrats to Angola and Côte d'Ivoire as they officially join USA, Turkey, Australia (though unofficial), New Zealand (also unofficial) in the World Championships.

Jordan, Iran, China, and Lebanon all getting their chance later tonight (or today depending on your timezone).
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

China and Iran are in. Jordan and Lebanon will fight out for the Bronze in the Asian Championship. If there's a wild card given to Asia, it could be to the loser of Jordan and Lebanon or to the surprise of the tournament Taiwan. They played real well, and upset Korea for 5th place. With a strong tournament plus a large basketball following in Taiwan, they have a small chance.

Congrats to Tunisia for their first ever qualification to the world championships, all and all a surprising tournament out of them, but well deserved.

I'd imagine Nigeria, Cameroon, and Senegal would have the best odds for a wild card. But I put those odds at slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShot View Post
    China and Iran are in. Jordan and Lebanon will fight out for the Bronze in the Asian Championship. If there's a wild card given to Asia, it could be to the loser of Jordan and Lebanon or to the surprise of the tournament Taiwan. They played real well, and upset Korea for 5th place. With a strong tournament plus a large basketball following in Taiwan, they have a small chance.
    Absolutely

I think, The Philippines, just like Japan, is out of the Picture as a wild card candidate by now.

by the way the supposed "GFavorite Teams" have been playing in their respective ChampionshipsAsian, Africa), I honestly see The Americas getting a wild card while Europe get the rest 3. I guess that means Argentina won't take the FiBa Americas Championship seriously then.

China and Iran are pending sans ranking by virtue of winning the FIBA Asia Qualifying Tournament.

Congrats to Jordan on their first World Championship qualification

Field is now

Turkey, USA, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Tunisia, China, Iran, Jordan, Australia, New Zealand.

10 down 14 to go.

Wild card teams for Turkey 2010

The FIBA Central Board will assign in autumn 2009 four wild cards to four countries that have not qualified until then according to the following criteria:

The criteria for the Wild Cards
    1. In order to be invited the team must have participated in the 2009 FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship.
    2. There can be a maximum of three teams from any one FIBA Zone.

Together with the above two criteria, FIBA shall take into consideration the following aspects:

Sporting Aspects
    - Popularity of basketball in the country
    - Quality and sporting results of the national team of the country
    - Quality of work by the National Federation

Economic Aspects
    - Involvement of local television and/or competitions in domestic and international basketball
    - Importance of country to FIBA's marketing and television partners
    - Importance of country to the Organizers of the World Championship

Note: The FIBA Central Board is the highest executive body of FIBA where 20 members and three ex-officio members meet twice yearly. The Board establishes the Internal Regulations and assigns the organization of all world championships.

Who are the teams that can get a Wild Card ?????

In Fiba Asia we have 2 good teams whom couldn't Qualify :

Lebanon (4th)
    Korea (7th)

In Fiba Africa we have 3 good teams....

Cameroon (4th)
    Nigeria (5th)
    Senegal (7th)

In Fiba America :

Canada and venzuela will have a chance for a Wild Card.

Cuz these four teams have the upper hand to qualify :

Argentina
    Brazil
    Purtorico
    Dominic Republic

Usually Europe have 3 of the 4 wild cards to WC but this time they may just have 2 cuz Turkey already qualified not like last tournaments when Japan ( 2006) and Usa ( 2002) where the hosts.......

As a conclusion, 2 of the following Teams will have a Wild card or at least one :

Lebanon*
    Korea
    Canada*
    Venzuela*
    Nigeria*
    Senegal
    Cameroon

Sooo Lebanon still have a chance to be in WC ( 13 DECEMBER 2009 MIGHT BE A GOOD DAY FOR US HOPE SO)

This is my Personal information if someone can help me with more information it will be great

Congratulations for Jordan and Tunisia for qualifing for the first time to WC
    Last edited by khaledlebanon; 08-16-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khaledlebanon View Post

Cuz these four teams have the upper hand to qualify :

Argentina
    Brazil
    Purtorico
    Dominic Republic

Usually Europe have 3 of the 4 wild cards to WC but this time they may just have 2 cuz Turkey already qualified not like last tournaments when Japan ( 2006) and Usa ( 2002) where the hosts.......

As a conclusion, 2 of the following Teams will have a Wild card or at least one :

Lebanon*
    Korea
    Canada*
    Venzuela*
    Nigeria*
    Senegal
    Cameroon

I'd include Uruguay,Taiwan and Panama, too, and let see how Mexico does with its team complete.

I'd include Uruguay,Taiwan and Panama, too, and let see how Mexico does with its team complete.
    Panama can't get a wild card since they will not play in fiba america maybe uruaguay but still they didn't qualify to world cup in 2002 and 2006 ...
    Taiwan is 5th in asia gd for them but Lebanon is way better last time we played against them in taiwan and without our full rosters we beat them by 20 points on their own court plus they didn't ever qualified to world cup!!!!!

i think the wild card will be between Lebanon, Nigeria, Venzuela and Canada

Canada last time they qualified to word cup was in 2002 and they lost all 3 games in first round, while Lebanon qualified in 2002 and 2006, in 2006 we won 2 of 5 matches on France and venzuela and we were very close to play in 2nd round....

Venzuela also qualified to WC 2002 and 2006 but we won on them by 10 points in WC 2006 Plus that in 2007 they were 7th in fiba america while we in asia from 2001 we always are in semi final (5 times) plus (3 finals) this year must have been in the final and not china but becuz of a referre's mistake in last 50 second when the score was 68-68 ... we lost 71-68 :@ ( he gave china a foul with 3 free throws from no where plus give 2 fouls on our 2 main player rony and matt in last 2 mins and they were foul out)

Nigeria didn't even qualify to semi in africa although they played well in WC 2006 thry also won 2 games from 5....

Last edited by khaledlebanon; 08-16-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Great couple of posts khaledlebanon

Though one quibble, Panama is playing in the 2009 Americas. While they didn't initially qualify they're replacing Cuba who backed out of the tournament.

Aside from that I agree
    Canada*
    Venezuela*
    Lebanon
    Korea
    Nigeria
    Senegal
    Cameroon

*Assuming they don't qualify.

I'd say if Canada fields a competitive team as they did 2007 (where they finished 5th, with the A squad US competing), they will be the odds on favorite to get the wild card IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Great couple of posts khaledlebanon

Though one quibble, Panama is playing in the 2009 Americas. While they didn't initially qualify they're replacing Cuba who backed out of the tournament.

Aside from that I agree
    Canada*
    Venezuela*
    Lebanon
    Korea
    Nigeria
    Senegal
    Cameroon

*Assuming they don't qualify.

I'd say if Canada fields a competitive team as they did 2007 (where they finished 5th, with the A squad US competing), they will be the odds on favorite to get the wild card IMO.
    I think as usual europe will get 3 wild cards which is not fair cuz they already have 6 cards plus Turkey the host and with 2 wild cards will be enough and they will have 9 ... with one wild card for fiba america ... and one for africa and asia which wil go to Lebanon cuz we deserved to be in the final but the mistakes that the referee made in the match Lebanon vs China and especially in the last minute when the score 68-68 let us lose the match 71-68??? We really deserve to be in WC cuz we have a very good team plus basketball is very important to Lebanon :S GOO LEBANON i will always have faith in u ...
    Last edited by khaledlebanon; 08-17-2009 at 02:59 PM.

I don't understand why FIBA doesn't have an additional qualifying tournament for determining the wild cards? Any team that doesn't receive the wild card, they're going to be pissed, at least with a tournament, it's left up to the teams...

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    I don't understand why FIBA doesn't have an additional qualifying tournament for determining the wild cards? Any team that doesn't receive the wild card, they're going to be pissed, at least with a tournament, it's left up to the teams...

Stuart
    Agreed, some people complain about too many games but honestly just play the tournament instead of some of those warm up friendlies. Make it like the 5 and 6, from the americas, 4 and 5 from asia and africa, and 7 and 8 from Europe. 8 team tournament, settle it on a the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Agreed, some people complain about too many games but honestly just play the tournament instead of some of those warm up friendlies. Make it like the 5 and 6, from the americas, 4 and 5 from asia and africa, and 7 and 8 from Europe. 8 team tournament, settle it on a the court.
    Thats good, I think the last year tournament in Athens to qualified for the Olympics had all in favor of Euro teams.... this one is much better...8 teams, two teams by continents, 4 spots to the WC.
    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Quote Originally Posted by PRSURF View Post
    Thats good, I think the last year tournament in Athens to qualified for the Olympics had all in favor of Euro teams.... this one is much better...8 teams, two teams by continents, 4 spots to the WC.
    I also like that. Fair as fair gets.

They have qualifying tournaments for everything else so I don't understand this decision other than giving preference to teams that FIBA would LIKE to see in the tournament (and I am not a conspiracy guy).

By the time the World Championships roll around, a team that placed fourth in regional may be completely different, due to injuries, etc. than the actual one going to the WBC.

A qualifying tournament a month or two before the WBC would ensure a strong roster more than just handpicking a team whose roster may be different 8-9 months after their fourth, fifth, whatever finish.

Stuart

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast