Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FYR of Macedonia national team

Arsic Leaves F.Y.R. Of Macedonia Bench

"Goodbye, I wish you all the best. Thank you for the great memories."

Those were the farewell words of Jovica Arsic, the coach that led F.Y.R. of Macedonia to their historic success at this month's EuroBasket in Poland.

It had been in the air for some time that Serbian coach was going to leave and now it's official.

Arsic is leaving a chair, he says, that was an honor to sit in.

"We have made a serious and concrete result by almost reaching the Quarter-Finals," he said.

"We leave a legacy for the coming generations to upgrade and for the present to praise."

Getting to the EuroBasket by topping their EuroBasket Division A group ahead of Latvia was an accomplishment in itself.

Once there, the Macedonians advanced to the Qualifying Round and defeated Germany before almost upsetting Russia to reach the last eight.

The team returned home as heroes.

"It was a positive match of circumstances," Arsic said,

"But it was also a result of the self investment of all national team players and especially of the Macedonian Basketball Federation staff.

"I can say that I have never had such a cooperation with the leading people, also with my assistant Marjan Lazovski who was my domestic right hand due to the fact that I didn't spend so much time in Macedonia."

Some of us understood him and his way, others didn't.

Some will celebrate his achievement, some will say he could have done better.

But this is the Balkans and it can't be any different.

There is always someone smarter.

One thing is for sure and it is clear as a teardrop.

Arsic was a rational coach and he squeezed the best out of a basketball nation that was desperate for some success on the international stage.

"As a Serbian, I thought the story of (Serbia great) Dejan Bodiroga being "the one and only" was true, that was until I met and worked with (Macedonia captain) Vrbica Stefanov.

"Measuring his playing abilities and the attitude towards the country that he represents, his teammates and the journalists, leaves me speechless.

"He is an icon of his own kind."

Arsic had a word for the journalists.

"I also hope that you had no trouble translating my Serbian and I will always be available to help my successor in any way possible," he said.

"I thank you all, but time itself commands us to make necessary changes."

Stefanov will continue to work as a team manager of the senior men's team. He will try to use his reputation to lift Macedonian basketball to even higher grounds.

"I just couldn't stay away from basketball, although I announced that I will be out of this business for a year or so," said the charismatic Stefanov, whose last games as a professional were at the EuroBasket.

Another who has played a vital role is Daniel Dimevski, the president of the country's basketball federation.

"This is the end of a circle but we feel that it needs to grow, and we will do all that is in our power to at least keep it at the present level, with God's help maybe even to go a step upwards," he said.

The Macedonians are no more always underdogs and regular outsiders.

Now they are more like dark horses or hidden favorites, and there will be a question mark on the outcome of almost every single game that the senior team plays in the future.

The next episode of this basketball tale will be EuroBasket 2011 in Lithuania, or maybe even the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

They will need a wild card to go east and there are other countries hoping for one as well.

Life is full of surprises, though, so who knows?
    http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_uk7CW...frontpage.html
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Apparently Marin Dokuzovski will be new national team coach.
    Artificial Nature

F.Y.R. Of Macedonia Look To Book EuroBasket Place

The EuroBasket 2011 qualification cycle for F.Y.R. of Macedonia starts on the country's biggest national holiday, the day the first modern Balkan Republic was formed, the day of the Ilinden revolution - August 2, 1903.

And the initial battle for the Macedonians will be against familiar foes Ukraine, the country that stopped them on the road to EuroBasket 2001 in Turkey.

That's not all.

Marin Dokuzovski, who was at the helm of that Macedonian team and stepped down after the decisive defeat in Kiev, is once again the man in charge.

Following Jovica Arsic's decision to step down after his successful run with the Macedonians which ended in the Qualifying Round at last year's EuroBasket in Poland, the country has turned to its former coach.

On Saturday in Munich, the Macedonians were drawn against Great Britain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary and Ukraine in Group B of the qualifying tournament.

"I am an optimist," Dokuzovski said. "It will all depend on us and on our form. If we have no injuries, we shouldn't have any problems winning the group."

Hungary enters what the Macedonian fans affectionately call the devils playground on August 5.

When it comes to their official match-ups with the Hungarians, Macedonia has three wins and one narrow away defeat (82-80, 1995).

"We could have got harder opponents, but this is not a group to underestimate. (However) We will go for a win in every single game," Dokuzovski said.

The visit on August 8 to Great Britain could be the hardest game if the hosts have their best line-up. That would include NBA star Luol Deng, who was injured and could not play at the EuroBasket in Poland last year.

There has also been talk of another NBA player, London-born Ben Gordon, playing for Britain but so far the Detroit Pistons sharpshooter hasn't worn the British uniform.

"We won against the Brits in Istanbul, in the preparations for the previous European Championship," Dokuzovski said.

"But if their roster is as expected, they could be the favorites for first place in the group."

Bosnia and Herzegovina are another old foe, a team that blocked the Macedonians' way in their qualifying campaign for EuroBasket 2007 in Spain. Maybe the advantage is that the first game is played in Skopje on August 14.

"I hope that we will overcome the Balkan mentality and that we will again play the basketball we know, the rhythm that suits us, the style that brought us to ninth place in Poland," Dokuzovski said.

"With a little more luck, we could have been in the Quarter-Finals."

As for the 50-year-old Dokuzovski, he was deemed the best home-grown coach available by the basketball federation to lead the national side.

He is among the top five active Macedonian basketball coaches. His domestic record with the Macedonian Maccabi, Rabotnicki Fersped and Rabotnicki Godel will stay unmatched for some time.

Dokuzovski had a good spell in Bulgaria with Lucoil Academic (Sofia), a place where he made his international name.

Now the challenge is to build on the success of the last two years that has made the national basketball team the shiniest, brightest Macedonian sports star.
    http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_vyXzd...frontpage.html
    Artificial Nature

albiongate

Rabotnicki youngster Marko Simonovski (SG, 190, 1989) had 2 great games in BIBL last month. Last summer, he was already the best macedonian player at the U20 B division european championship. His shooting % are still low, but he has the tools to become a solid player at the european level.

We qualified for Eurobasket 2011! Yes! How do you all think we'll do?

MZT Skopje starting center Kiril Nikolovski (210 1988) is improving well, he can become a decent back up for Samardziski.

Still waiting to see big body Todor "Todd" Zafirovski (205 1990) in action with Duke squad. He only appeared in five games this season and didn't score a point.

Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Laugh Out Loud at the Eurohopes 1996 ranking. Macedonian prospect Andrej Magdevski (PG/SG 188 Partizan Belgrade) not in the list. The kid is actually one of the best prospects in his age range in Serbia, if not the best one.

Is Todor Gechevski going to play this year? Don't see his name on roster.

Quote Originally Posted by raft View Post
    Is Todor Gechevski going to play this year? Don't see his name on roster.
    He will, he joined the team couple of days ago

Let's translate it for the guys who cannot read cyrillic alphabet.

Pero Antic
    Georgi Cekovski
    Marko Simonovski
    Todor Gecevski
    Vlado Ilievski
    Dimitar Mirakovski
    Damjan Stojanovski
    Vojdan Stojanovski
    Kiril Nikolovski
    Darko Sokolov
    Predrag Samardzinski
    Bo McCalebb

Default FYR of Macedonia national team

I would like our own section for Macedonian basketball especially our national team.

Anyone who are interested a part from me ?

Don't have photos, but I really liked the fact, that during the ceremony Bo came with the flag of Makedonija - that was awesome! even TV operators were capturing him instead of MVP

I wounder, what are his true feelings and motives to represent Makedonija? Was it money (maybe firstly?), or love to basketball and a huge wish to participate in Eurobasket?
    And what are his feelings now?
    We can move all talks about our national team to our topic.

Bo does not play for money he will get bonus like all the rest players but this is a very symbolic figure.

He has a Macedonian girlfriend for a year, met in Skopje last year. Maybe this has to do with it .

No, the real reason is the team chemistry. Everybady has similar type of personalities similar jokes similar understadings and very humble poeple all of team all love to give everything on the court. Bo is also littel bit shy of court just like all our players it is almost amazing how similar everybady are. Bo feels like he belong to the family thats way he give everything on the court and littel bit more.

Yes the flag thing wos nice, but you should have seen him in the dressing room. Ilievski, Stojanovski and Makaleb did cry out to fill the ocean. Bo did also cry after the match against Spain and Pero Antic give him huge.

Obvious Bo love to be with this group so do not take this from him.

Bo say to Damjan lets make the olympic torny and lets win medal.

This boy wll play for us even if he sign with NBA team, is not about money, he play for love and that is much more importent than money.

No refs can not steal medal or anything from us we are the real champ
    10.000 at airport,
    100.000 Macedonians celebrate today in Skopje:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLEyS...layer_embedded

Pictures:
    http://www.dnevnik.com.mk/default.as...A8B33848ED689F
    Last edited by rikhardur; 09-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robimkd View Post
    No reff can steal medal or anything from us we are the real champ
    10.000 at airport,
    100.000 Macedonians celebrate today in Skopje:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?<br /> ...layer_embedded

wow nice

This was the 2nd best team of the tournament. Well deserved celebration
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Gratz Macedonia. U have the same colours than SPain so you have my respect
    BARÇA O MUERTE

Bo conquering Persia

Meeting the Macedonian president

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast