FYR of Macedonia national team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaj View Post
    Of course he did. He played yesterday against Slovenia on friendly game and also a day before. He was terrible so rumors started that he will be replaced with Darius Washington.
    Arsic clearly stated that Massey will be their choice.
    but that was before games against Slovenia..
    still, chances are pretty slim for Washington taking his place..
    Massey played with these guys before, eventhough he was late on the preps (same as Gečevski) he was still there before Washington..
    Washington needs to be extraordinarly good to take his place..
    I doubt it will happen, eventhough they need him more then Massey because they are pretty thin at guard positions with Ilievski out..
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Originally posted by Picek View Post
      Arsic clearly stated that Massey will be their choice.
      but that was before games against Slovenia..
      still, chances are pretty slim for Washington taking his place..
      Massey played with these guys before, eventhough he was late on the preps (same as Gečevski) he was still there before Washington..
      Washington needs to be extraordinarly good to take his place..
      I doubt it will happen, eventhough they need him more then Massey because they are pretty thin at guard positions with Ilievski out..
      As usually, the media in Israel took a rumour and made it as a poor fact...
      2022/2023:
      PG: Brown, D-BA, Ziv
      SG: Baldwin, Hollins
      SF: Hillard, Pnini, Menco
      PF: Martin, Colson, Cohen
      PF: Nebo, Poyters, Sorkin

Comment

I think that Vašington will be Mejsi's replacement for the reasons mentioned above. I think it's a clever decision by Džeremaja. Get oneself a Euro passport, suck at NT training/prep = free summer in Detroit. Genius.

I think this will also be a good think for the FYROMese NT too.
        The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Thanks for update on Massey.

Well, it looks like he's more preoccupied with finding himself a club for the next season then playing for FYROM

Throw a stone at me, but I just can't see any chance for Massey playing under Messina

Comment

Does somebody know if the final roster of FYR of Macedonia has been announced?
            You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Arsic Leaves F.Y.R. Of Macedonia Bench

"Goodbye, I wish you all the best. Thank you for the great memories."

Those were the farewell words of Jovica Arsic, the coach that led F.Y.R. of Macedonia to their historic success at this month's EuroBasket in Poland.

It had been in the air for some time that Serbian coach was going to leave and now it's official.

Arsic is leaving a chair, he says, that was an honor to sit in.

"We have made a serious and concrete result by almost reaching the Quarter-Finals," he said.

"We leave a legacy for the coming generations to upgrade and for the present to praise."

Getting to the EuroBasket by topping their EuroBasket Division A group ahead of Latvia was an accomplishment in itself.

Once there, the Macedonians advanced to the Qualifying Round and defeated Germany before almost upsetting Russia to reach the last eight.

The team returned home as heroes.

"It was a positive match of circumstances," Arsic said,

"But it was also a result of the self investment of all national team players and especially of the Macedonian Basketball Federation staff.

"I can say that I have never had such a cooperation with the leading people, also with my assistant Marjan Lazovski who was my domestic right hand due to the fact that I didn't spend so much time in Macedonia."

Some of us understood him and his way, others didn't.

Some will celebrate his achievement, some will say he could have done better.

But this is the Balkans and it can't be any different.

There is always someone smarter.

One thing is for sure and it is clear as a teardrop.

Arsic was a rational coach and he squeezed the best out of a basketball nation that was desperate for some success on the international stage.

"As a Serbian, I thought the story of (Serbia great) Dejan Bodiroga being "the one and only" was true, that was until I met and worked with (Macedonia captain) Vrbica Stefanov.

"Measuring his playing abilities and the attitude towards the country that he represents, his teammates and the journalists, leaves me speechless.

"He is an icon of his own kind."

Arsic had a word for the journalists.

"I also hope that you had no trouble translating my Serbian and I will always be available to help my successor in any way possible," he said.

"I thank you all, but time itself commands us to make necessary changes."

Stefanov will continue to work as a team manager of the senior men's team. He will try to use his reputation to lift Macedonian basketball to even higher grounds.

"I just couldn't stay away from basketball, although I announced that I will be out of this business for a year or so," said the charismatic Stefanov, whose last games as a professional were at the EuroBasket.

Another who has played a vital role is Daniel Dimevski, the president of the country's basketball federation.

"This is the end of a circle but we feel that it needs to grow, and we will do all that is in our power to at least keep it at the present level, with God's help maybe even to go a step upwards," he said.

The Macedonians are no more always underdogs and regular outsiders.

Now they are more like dark horses or hidden favorites, and there will be a question mark on the outcome of almost every single game that the senior team plays in the future.

The next episode of this basketball tale will be EuroBasket 2011 in Lithuania, or maybe even the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

They will need a wild card to go east and there are other countries hoping for one as well.

Life is full of surprises, though, so who knows?
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Apparently Marin Dokuzovski will be new national team coach.
                Artificial Nature

Comment

F.Y.R. Of Macedonia Look To Book EuroBasket Place

The EuroBasket 2011 qualification cycle for F.Y.R. of Macedonia starts on the country's biggest national holiday, the day the first modern Balkan Republic was formed, the day of the Ilinden revolution - August 2, 1903.

And the initial battle for the Macedonians will be against familiar foes Ukraine, the country that stopped them on the road to EuroBasket 2001 in Turkey.

That's not all.

Marin Dokuzovski, who was at the helm of that Macedonian team and stepped down after the decisive defeat in Kiev, is once again the man in charge.

Following Jovica Arsic's decision to step down after his successful run with the Macedonians which ended in the Qualifying Round at last year's EuroBasket in Poland, the country has turned to its former coach.

On Saturday in Munich, the Macedonians were drawn against Great Britain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary and Ukraine in Group B of the qualifying tournament.

"I am an optimist," Dokuzovski said. "It will all depend on us and on our form. If we have no injuries, we shouldn't have any problems winning the group."

Hungary enters what the Macedonian fans affectionately call the devils playground on August 5.

When it comes to their official match-ups with the Hungarians, Macedonia has three wins and one narrow away defeat (82-80, 1995).

"We could have got harder opponents, but this is not a group to underestimate. (However) We will go for a win in every single game," Dokuzovski said.

The visit on August 8 to Great Britain could be the hardest game if the hosts have their best line-up. That would include NBA star Luol Deng, who was injured and could not play at the EuroBasket in Poland last year.

There has also been talk of another NBA player, London-born Ben Gordon, playing for Britain but so far the Detroit Pistons sharpshooter hasn't worn the British uniform.

"We won against the Brits in Istanbul, in the preparations for the previous European Championship," Dokuzovski said.

"But if their roster is as expected, they could be the favorites for first place in the group."

Bosnia and Herzegovina are another old foe, a team that blocked the Macedonians' way in their qualifying campaign for EuroBasket 2007 in Spain. Maybe the advantage is that the first game is played in Skopje on August 14.

"I hope that we will overcome the Balkan mentality and that we will again play the basketball we know, the rhythm that suits us, the style that brought us to ninth place in Poland," Dokuzovski said.

"With a little more luck, we could have been in the Quarter-Finals."

As for the 50-year-old Dokuzovski, he was deemed the best home-grown coach available by the basketball federation to lead the national side.

He is among the top five active Macedonian basketball coaches. His domestic record with the Macedonian Maccabi, Rabotnicki Fersped and Rabotnicki Godel will stay unmatched for some time.

Dokuzovski had a good spell in Bulgaria with Lucoil Academic (Sofia), a place where he made his international name.

Now the challenge is to build on the success of the last two years that has made the national basketball team the shiniest, brightest Macedonian sports star.
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Rabotnicki youngster Marko Simonovski (SG, 190, 1989) had 2 great games in BIBL last month. Last summer, he was already the best macedonian player at the U20 B division european championship. His shooting % are still low, but he has the tools to become a solid player at the european level.

Comment

We qualified for Eurobasket 2011! Yes! How do you all think we'll do?

Comment

MZT Skopje starting center Kiril Nikolovski (210 1988) is improving well, he can become a decent back up for Samardziski.

Still waiting to see big body Todor "Todd" Zafirovski (205 1990) in action with Duke squad. He only appeared in five games this season and didn't score a point.

Comment

McCalebb

Bo McCalebb might play for Team FYR Macedonia, will not attend training camp
                          Sacramento Kings
                          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Laugh Out Loud at the Eurohopes 1996 ranking. Macedonian prospect Andrej Magdevski (PG/SG 188 Partizan Belgrade) not in the list. The kid is actually one of the best prospects in his age range in Serbia, if not the best one.

Comment

Is Todor Gechevski going to play this year? Don't see his name on roster.

Comment

Originally posted by raft View Post
                                Is Todor Gechevski going to play this year? Don't see his name on roster.
                                He will, he joined the team couple of days ago

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information