View Poll Results: Who will win the gold medal?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA

80 77.67%
  • Spain

23 22.33%
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Final: USA vs Spain

Canada has Nash. They don't need anything else. One basketball god is enough, they should be more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JGX
    Canada has a basketball team?
    Only when Nash feels like picking up 10 guys off the street in Toronto. (and Igodola isn't on the bench for some reason)
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown
    Sooooo does that make Canada North of Northern Americans
    Well... nobody said it was the best expression in the world. "Estadounidense" is a perfect fit, tough.

Still, poor Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by Mae West
    Another funny thing -not a big deal, though- is that by North-Americans I actually meant USA.

Let me explain it.

Differently to you, we are taught that America is one single continent and not two (North and South America are just...em... a geographic detail). I mean, in Spanish primary Schools (and maybe too in the rest of Europe) we're taught that there are six continents in the Earth including Antarctica. That said, Argentinians or Mexicans are just as American as "estadounidenses" ("USAlanders"). In fact, I've met Argentinians and Chileans who really disliked people using the word "americano" to define only those from the USA; "What are we then? Asians?" would be their response.

So when we in Spain use the word North-American -sp. in coloquial use- we mean "from the USA". Of course the expression might not be exact (Mexicans tend to get pissed), but well, you know, there's a reason. Problem is sometimes you can forget and use the word in a context and with people who might not understand it.

So I'm afraid my ludicrous desire of total fail only implies US-NT.
    But peace anyway.
    I have understood this, but it always bugged me too. One, being called "North Americans" is just as exclusive, like you mentioned. What about the Canadians? They are North Americans too in this sense.

Also, who else has "Amrerica" in their country's name? People in America tend to think that people complain about America just for the sake of complaining and this is one of those instances. People say we are arrogant for calling ourselves Americans, but it's not like we just decided to do it because we think we own the continent. It's our name!! I'm not sure what else we'd call oursleves, United Statesians sounds awful.

Who knows?

It's okay, the teams with annoying internet fans includes Spain.
    Aaaaarg.
    You just broke my heart.

But no matter how, I'll follow my holy crusade of supporting underdogs against the Golliaths and Leviatans of the World. And who's a darker and more sinister Leviatan than the all-evil US basketball power?
    Last edited by mvblair; 08-23-2008 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unimane
    What about the Canadians?
    Icelanders, obviously.

But no matter how, I'll follow my holy crusade of supporting underdogs against the Golliaths and Leviatans of the World. And who's a darker and more sinister Leviatan than the all-evil US basketball power?
    If you were a baseball fan you'd know the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Aaaaarg.
    You just broke my heart.

Chinese Divers

Quote Originally Posted by JGX
    If you were a baseball fan you'd know the answer
    funnily enough the Yankees haven't won since 2000 either, hopefully only Team USA breaks their funk.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Well... nobody said it was the best expression in the world. "Estadounidense" is a perfect fit, tough.

Still, poor Canadians.
    poor???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uh5K...eature=related

"The worst part is wondering how you’ll find the strength tomorrow to go on doing what you did today and have been doing for much too long,where you’ll find the strength for all that stupid running around,those attempts to escape from crushing necessity,which always founder and serve only to convince you one more time that destiny is implacable,that every night will find you down and out,crushed by the dread of more and more sordid and insecure tomorrows.~Céline

It's okay, the teams with annoying internet fans includes Spain.

Aaaaarg.
    You just broke my heart.

Man, I'm with you. (I am all for holy crusades against Leviathans )

GO SPAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unimane

Also, who else has "Amrerica" in their country's name? People in America tend to think that people complain about America just for the sake of complaining and this is one of those instances. People say we are arrogant for calling ourselves Americans, but it's not like we just decided to do it because we think we own the continent. It's our name!! I'm not sure what else we'd call oursleves, United Statesians sounds awful.
    Well, "Republic of France" doesn't have "Europe" in it. But it doesn't mean French aren't European.

To people raised in other countries, there's just one single continent called "America", and not something called "the Americas". So it works just like with the French and Europe. It's not so different to metrical system as opposed to yards, pounds and all that stuff. Different cultural backgrounds and the due consequences...

I guess this is starting to go off-topic. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Oh, I had forgotten how evil they were. More than David Bowie when he tried to be an actor!! Even more than Godzilla and Iosif Stalin put together!!!!

They definitely deserve to be excluded from the World in any coloquial and imprecise expression used by Spaniards to define USlanders

Well, "Republic of France" doesn't have "Europe" in it. But it doesn't mean French aren't European.

To people raised in other countries, there's just one single continent called "America", and not something called "the Americas". So it works just like with the French and Europe. It's not so different to metrical system as opposed to yards, pounds and all that stuff. Different cultural backgrounds and the due consequences...

I guess this is starting to go off-topic. Sorry.
    I understand, but I know of few people in the Americas who identify themselves by their continent (And even then, it's with North or South). Certainly not like Asians, Europeans and Africans.

Anyway, back to the game.....

Only when Nash feels like picking up 10 guys off the street in Toronto. (and Igodola isn't on the bench for some reason)
    God damn Leo Rautins has ruined our global basketball image! Canada has a lot of good young prospects, lets hope they will actually play for us in the future. Tristan Thompson was just named the number one prospect in the 2010 class by scout.com.

Common people, let's stay on topic. If you wish to discuss those matters create a thread in the UN forum.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

if brazauskas doesnt take bait on flopping, thatd be great, i cant stand people who want to become hollywood stars after their career is over.

who are the other refs for this finals game?

Quote Originally Posted by Panco
    Great post. Close to what I thought.

Still i hope (and know) that US will take it. 30+ would be great. First time ever I root for americans.
    I guess Brazauskas will be the ref of the final and he'll not allow Pau & co's flopping.
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

canada is the 51st state of USA, am I right ajaxballer, a I right?!?!

Sooooo does that make Canada North of Northern Americans
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Matt's Uninformed Opinions
    • I predict a win for Team USA. I sincerely believe this is our best team since '92. In many respects, I think we're comparable to the Dream Team. However...
    • This is also the best team Spain has ever put on the court. Spain can win.
    • This game will, again, come down to whether or not the US can out-smart the zone. I hate to say it, but we still have trouble playing against the zone defense, as we saw against Australia and, apparently, against Argentina as well. The US can still fall against a good zone defense.
    • Is Garbajosa playing at full strength yet? I don't think so. This is a big advantage to us.
    • Team USA is prepared. They've studied and are giving quotes to the media about Spanish players. This is great for us. Unfortunately, Team Spain also knows our players.
    • Whoever loses, whether it is the US or Spain, can go home proud, knowing they played a good game and received the Silver. There is no shame in that.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair
    Matt's Uninformed Opinions
    • I predict a win for Team USA. I sincerely believe this is our best team since '92. In many respects, I think we're comparable to the Dream Team. However...
    • This is also the best team Spain has ever put on the court. Spain can win.
    • This game will, again, come down to whether or not the US can out-smart the zone. I hate to say it, but we still have trouble playing against the zone defense, as we saw against Australia and, apparently, against Argentina as well. The US can still fall against a good zone defense.
    • Is Garbajosa playing at full strength yet? I don't think so. This is a big advantage to us.
    • Team USA is prepared. They've studied and are giving quotes to the media about Spanish players. This is great for us. Unfortunately, Team Spain also knows our players.
    • Whoever loses, whether it is the US or Spain, can go home proud, knowing they played a good game and received the Silver. There is no shame in that.

i dont think thats the best spain, the best spain was with our former couch, who built the team as a team, making all the players act as one.
    USA is gonna win, but i still think that if we play our cards well we might have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by juncear
    i dont think thats the best spain, the best spain was with our former couch, who built the team as a team, making all the players act as one.
    USA is gonna win, but i still think that if we play our cards well we might have a chance.
    Yes! You're right! When we factor in Hernández, those teams were better. The coach is an absolute factor.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

I still believe!
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast