No announcement yet.

Semi-Finals: Argentina versus USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I missed the game because of work. I would've asked for a personal day, but it's the first days of school, and, well, I'd feel bad anyway taking a day off to watch a couple games of basketball.

Matt's Uninformed Thoughts
    • Like everybody said, who knows what would have happened if Manu and Nocioni? I really believe that Argentina could've had a solid chance to win with them in the game. However, injuries are a big part of basketball, and Argentina's lack of depth hurt. (I said at the start of the tournament, of course, that Argentina had good depth )
    • Scola is a world class player. Let there be no doubt. Scola could be a perennial All-Star. His role with Houston is awkward, but understandable given Yao. If coach Adelman in Houston is any good, we're going to see a bigger statistical impact from Scola in the NBA this season.
    • Delfino shot 3-10 from threes. Somebody on this forum said that would kill Argentina. Maybe it did today.
    • Referees will always make some difference in any game, but I think it's fair to say that Team USA deserved the win. I didn't see any of the questionable calls people here are talking about (because I haven't seen the game yet), but that will always be a fact of life in sports.
    • Props to the US players for respecting the Argentines in the press conference after the game.
    • Props to the Argentine players for respecting the US in the press conference after the game.
    • Sounds like Argentina played a great zone defense. Can Spain do the same?

"I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

• I'm done watching these pre-determined shams the US media are calling "contests". Complete garbage. The referees must all secretly be either Nike executives or nephews of David Stern.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unimane
        Yes, but he is more of a third option in Houston. 28 against this collection of players is far better than anything I've seen him put up before.
        Third option? Behind who? Hayes? More like 2nd and more important than the first option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remon
          Third option? Behind who? Hayes? More like 2nd and more important than the first option.
          McGrady and Yao.

Hayes is a very good player in his role, btw
          Originally posted by Fedfan
          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
          Originally posted by GuTO
          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• I thought you were talking about his position.

And Hayes is only a defensive role player. Scola is much better overall, maybe not as good as defense but not that bad.

And in the team I suppose he will be the 4th option this year, with the Rockets acquiring Artest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unimane
              And if he had been a better player, then the first part of my quote wouldn't be relevant.

Not necessarily, a player can have a different role, depending on the need of the team and the coach he is on.

For example, would you have said a year ago that Udrih had no business playing in the NBA just because he got no burn with the spurs? I think you might.
              But then this year he became a starter, a legit NBA starting PG, where as last year he was chained to the bench. How do you figure that, did Udrih become that much better over the off season? No, he just got a shot with a different team.

Same with Scola, he makes the exact same shots, with the Rox as he did with Argentina, the only difference is he gets the ball more with Argentina to make a few more. He has the talent period. He would play the exact same way in the NBA like he does with Argentina if he would get the shots.
              Do the Rox need to give him the ball? Ofcourse not, they have enough options, with Yao, T-Mac and now Artest, so watch for Scolas number actually going down instead of getting better this year, because Artest will be getting some of his shots, not the shots T-Mac or Yao. But that doesn't mean he will get worse, or that he played for Argentina that much better.

In the end of the day, Scola did nothing spectacular or nothing that he hasn't done before, or he hasn't been doing all his career against USA, for you to say he was playing the game of his life. He wasn't he was playing the game that is his bread and butter. Now if he was hitting 3 pointers dunking over Howard grabbing 20 rebounds and putting up 40 points, that would have been the game of his life.
              My homage to The heroes:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                seems you weren't paying close attention to the game then..i see some posters are already preparing the ground for not givin any credit at all to the Usa team for their gold medal..it'll all be because of travelling,doping and corrupt referees..
                Nope, I am ready to concede right here, even before they win, that the US team has learned their lesson, has bettered their game, they know how to play a zone, they can do a zone. They have found a way to counter international play. So IMHO they actually are better than the dream team 92 in that sense, because they have to. Their adversaries are better than 92. My point is the contrary, they don't need to win traveling. They'll win even if these calls are made. It will only be more fair. Or lets just add a rule to traveling, saying that IF the US NT plays, all the above rules are void, for that team only. And lets add one more rule, saying the you don't need to play the match. USA wins by 20 + 2D10
                Originally posted by Murphy's mother
                My son was right

Comment

• A key play of this game was Juan Gutiérrez non-foul, called on Anthony's three at the end of the first half. A six-point difference at halftime (instead of 9) could have made things different.

Comment

• Originally posted by alermac
                    A key play of this game was Juan Gutiérrez non-foul, called on Anthony's three at the end of the first half. A six-point difference at halftime (instead of 9) could have made things different.
                    Yes that call was huge and it did make a difference. From Chris Sheridan:

"Strangely, Krzyzewski opted to use Anthony at center, then Tayshaun Prince, after Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh picked up two fouls apiece. (Was it something Carlos Boozer said, Coach K?) Luis Scola scored easily inside over Anthony with 43 seconds left in the half to make it a six-point game, and Kobe Bryant missed a 3 at the other end. Carlos Delfino then made the baffling decision to dribble out 20 seconds of the shot clock and launch a shot from NBA 3-point range rather than get the ball into the low post, where Scola (28 points) was being defended by Prince.

Then, with 0.9 seconds left, Juan Gutierrez appeared to get all ball as he blocked a 3-point attempt by Anthony. But a referee called a foul, Anthony made all three from the line, and the Americans had some breathing room.
                    "

Was the referee in question Harmonica, or whatever his name is?
                    LOL

Comment

• yeah i saw that crappy call as well when delfino got all ball on anthony's 3-pt shot. In the replay it showed all ball as well lol. It's funny how all these international referees are making all these bad calls. I think maybe its because people care more about the olympics so the refs are put under more scrutiny, hence they appear to be constantly making bad calls. Anyway that's just my take hahah

Comment

• Well after a few days... overall great game for Argentina, despite the bad start the bad calls from refs and the injuries.

Anyway congrats to USA, they where the best team afterall

Comment

• Originally posted by Jokinen
                          Well after a few days... overall great game for Argentina, despite the bad start the bad calls from refs and the injuries.
                          That pretty much sums it up.
                          Finished watching the game and if it hadn't been for that terrible 1st period, Argentina could have stayed in the game longer. Also with Ginóbili out, Nocioni nearly limping and those technicals things were just too difficult. USA with good shot selections, moving the ball very well and creating spaces, they deserved the win. Needless to say it was a pleasure to watch Argentina play.
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information