View Poll Results: Who will win: Spain or Lithuania?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spain

41 42.71%
  • Lithuania

55 57.29%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-Finals: Spain versus Lithuania

Default Semi-Finals: Spain versus Lithuania

Two great teams chocked full of EL and NBA players. Spain only lost to the USA. Lithuania only lost to Australia. Both teams were expected to be in the Semi-Finals. Who wins?

I think Rik is on vacation, so I'm stealing his idea for these individual game polls. Sorry, pal.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Still I cannot see Spain loosing...Spain gets away with this one.
    "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Well it's our fifth olympics as an independent state, and this is our fifth straigth semifinal of olympic basketball tournament. Sadly, all previous four were lost, but I hope this is the match, when the sad tradition will be broken. Spain are heavy favorites of this game - after the EC2003 final I cannot remember a game, where we would beat them. But the only official one was during Mundobasket '2006 quaterfinals, where we have lost badly.

It should be a classic match.

The game will be a true battle! Both teams have deep rosters and I think the game will go to the wire. Spain to beat Lithuania by 3 points.

Against my better judgement, I voted for Lithuania.

Honestly, when I look at the match-ups, they are pretty close. Spain has a better bench and a better center, but Lithuania can kill anyone with Jasikevicius, the perpetual wildcard.

It's going to be a close game. It has to be. Both teams will fight and claw tomorrow. Anybody expect blood?
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Exclamation

Spain is favoured by seven according to the bookies. That's way high in my book - especially with Jose Calderone hurting..

I think the fact that the Lithuanian team has lost four semis in a row at the Olympics will provide them with just enough additional motivation to finally win one.

This is going to be close one. I have Spain wining this one.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Always my favourite game, you're right, is a classic game. But, sadly one is going to lose, I hope we win, but Lithuania is Lithuania... in fact is my favourite team to lose.

but..... I think we win....
    GASOLDEPENDENCE.... I love it

Quote Originally Posted by sashikas
    Spain are heavy favorites of this game
    Ha!
    IMO it's a 50-50 game, maybe 55-45 for Spain.
    My most feared players are Siskauskas and Kleiza.
    Jasickevicius can kill anybody in his day, but isn't very often in his day right now.
    I have absolute faith in Pau Gasol. He is ready. He just murdered the Croats, 20 points, 10 rb, 3 blocks in 25 minutes. He looks like a prime Shaq against FIBA competition, he is just too big, athletic, agile and talented for his rivals.
    I saw some glipses of the old Garbajosa against Croatia. He looked quite good to me in defense.
    If Calderon can't play if would be a big blow for us. I have no confidence in Raul Lopez.
    It will be a great match. I am already nervous.

Its time for Pau to finally step up in important game.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Lithuania is one of my favourite teams: Good players, natural talent, Saras an his "way of life".....

I hope Liths will win the bronze medal.
    I do not want to wish anything bad, so I wish them the bronze medal

Quote Originally Posted by Srle
    Its time for Pau to finally step up in important game.
    If he repeats his performance against Argentina in the 2006 WC semifinals I will very happy.
    Or his game against USA in the 2004 OG.
    What a game (Esp-Arg in 2006).
    Whenever I watch it I end close to tears.

Finally! The game that i was waiting for so long!
    Pretty hard to predict something. The favorite is Spain and that might be advantage for Lithuania which seems to suffer against underdogs in semifinals. Spain has a bit longer bench, but i have the feeling that this game will show that there's no team whith 10 equal players in the world. Actually, 4finals already showed that Gasol for Spain and Šaras, Šiška fot Lith are irreplaceable in cruacial games. Kleiza is the biggest surprise in this tournament for me, i wonder if he'll manage to remain as the key player in last decisive games.
    Already chanting for Lithuania!
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-21-2008 at 08:42 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Can't wait for the semifinal against Spaniards. Gonna be a really tough one. We have never beat them in any tournament or preparation games, since 2003 EuroBasket Final. And, as I remember, we were crushed in every game, losing by 20+. However, I believe that we can beat them. This time we aren't favourites, so, theoretically, we have nothing to lose.
    Since our first tournament as independent country (1992) we have reached 7 semifinals in European Championships and Olympics. Unfortunately, we've lost 5 of them. 4 of which in Olympics (in a row). Statistics isn't on our side for sure, but "there's always a first time". From a bottom of my heart, I hope and believe that it's gonna be tomorrow.
    Good luck for our guys. I wish a great game for everyone with a happy ending (you know, what I mean ).

GO LITHUANIA.

I think i should remind that after 2003 final we played only one official game against Spain in Japan 2006 and that team wasn't even a team- it was Macijauskas and the bunch of tall guys
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward
    I think i should remind that after 2003 final we played only one official game against Spain in Japan 2006 and that team wasn't even a team- it was Macijauskas and the bunch of tall guys
    As I said..
    Quote Originally Posted by Panco
    tournament or preparation games

Quote Originally Posted by SergioRodriguez
    If he repeats his performance against Argentina in the 2006 WC semifinals I will very happy.
    Or his game against USA in the 2004 OG.
    What a game (Esp-Arg in 2006).
    Whenever I watch it I end close to tears.
    one gasol can't win this game. we can remember his 36pts + 12 reb in 2003 EC final.. but it wasn't enough for gold...
    now it is 2008, and we need to play the best game in this OG if we want win today. maybe 5th time don't lie for us.. i believe we can take it, and finally go to fight for the gold. i'm expecting very interesting, tough game. maybe same like arg-gre,and with us winning it

Quote Originally Posted by AiwiTo
    one gasol can't win this game. we can remember his 36pts + 12 reb in 2003 EC final.. but it wasn't enough for gold...
    now it is 2008, and we need to play the best game in this OG if we want win today. maybe 5th time don't lie for us.. i believe we can take it, and finally go to fight for the gold. i'm expecting very interesting, tough game. maybe same like arg-gre,and with us winning it
    I voted for Lithuania, just to express my positive feelings about this team. We are really good this time, and our star player Šaras needs his perfect "swan song" in this tournament, approaching the very end of his superb international career. Silver would be just wine, and maybe even gold .

Spain, on the other hand, is one of the strongest European teams in the last decade. They have grown together into a tough core on which some huge victories are being built. I totally respect this team - unfortunatelly, our ways cross this time, and only one side can be victorious.

Lietuva! Lietuva! Lietuva!

My brain says Spain, but my heart says Lithuania.

LIETUVA!

(voted for Spain though)

Lets dream a little, ARG beats USA, LTU beats ESP and LTU v ARG Final. I would love to see this

Lets be realists, we always struggle v ESP and with all odds its going to be USA v ESP in Final and we are playing ARG for Bronze. ARG are gonna be pissed at us from last game and I think we are staring at 4th.

In saying this we should consolidate 4th ranking in FIBA as surely Serbia is going to drop out of top 5 after Olympics and we take their place as all other teams USA, ARG and ESP are above us anyway. This at worst makes Olympics a success for our team.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/...6580/rank.html

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast