Future Big Men Of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    And to think that's post his prime and almost retired Kelly na. Prime Kelly was like a decade ago pa before JF came into the league..

I think it's Abueva who's gonna give them a bigger problem. Who are they gonna put on him? He's too strong and athletic for Pogoy and too quick for the bigger guys. They really should have kept one of Semerad or Trollano..
    Come to think of it, Kelly Williams is already 39, yet he plays like 29 yrs old. It seems he hasn't lost quickness, agility & hoops after all these years. Maybe the fact that Kelly missed a No. of seasons in the PBA & had some incomplete seasons in the PBA becoz of a blood disorder have somewhat preserved his mileage. Kumbaga eh, Kelly hasn't been subjected to so much wear & tear in his career.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
      Officially date stamp engagement with DFA on subject of processing passport. that's the key .. It all adds up to supporting one's case if passport is issued after date of birth. (not saying it's automatic that it will be accepted, but it definitely helps)
      In short, mas mabuti pa rin yung nakaka siguro that the player has secured a Philippine passport in his hand prior to his 16th birthday para wala ng kung anong problema pa. Mas mabuti na nasa kamay na nya yung Phi passport before his 16th b-day.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        In short, mas mabuti pa rin yung nakaka siguro that the player has secured a Philippine passport in his hand prior to his 16th birthday para wala ng kung anong problema pa. Mas mabuti na nasa kamay na nya yung Phi passport before his 16th b-day.
        Yes definitly better to have passport before 16 years old, if not it comes down to a "reasonable " documented evidence that processing after filing was with reasonable time and circumstances. Obviously not all cases are similar, (case to case), what worked for one doesn't necessarily mean will wok for another.

Comment

• ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That is why if we can spot a 15-year old Fil-foreign prospect, it would be better that SBP people convince the parents & the kid to apply for Phi passport at least 7 months before the kid turns 16 yrs old. I know its easier said than done. If I'm not mistaken, Jayden Harper applied Phi passport about 2 or 3 months before his 16th birthday (I stand corrected by this). Ayan tuloy hindi nakahabol. Eh si Caelum Harris nga parang muntik muntikan nang di nakahabol. Good thing Caelum made it in time.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
            ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That is why if we can spot a 15-year old Fil-foreign prospect, it would be better that SBP people convince the parents & the kid to apply for Phi passport at least 7 months before the kid turns 16 yrs old. I know its easier said than done. If I'm not mistaken, Jayden Harper applied Phi passport about 2 or 3 months before his 16th birthday (I stand corrected by this). Ayan tuloy hindi nakahabol. Eh si Caelum Harris nga parang muntik muntikan nang di nakahabol. Good thing Caelum made it in time.
            hard to say. do all of these kids (and their family) have all the docs needed at hand? if not, then that's another problem. do these families have any demand(auto part of, atleast, the youth team)? i dont know if that happens but i actually dont see it as unreasonable given SBP is the one who is chasing them. there might be other reasons, so simply asking SBP to chase someone, wont necessarily mean those families be able to apply. then there is also, are we going to chase just anyone? or do we chase someone who fits a player profile that SBP wants? that sounds better but some kids may be late bloomers, baka mahuli ulit.
            WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
            SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• Originally posted by C2Hamm View Post
              hard to say. do all of these kids (and their family) have all the docs needed at hand? if not, then that's another problem. do these families have any demand(auto part of, atleast, the youth team)? i dont know if that happens but i actually dont see it as unreasonable given SBP is the one who is chasing them. there might be other reasons, so simply asking SBP to chase someone, wont necessarily mean those families be able to apply. then there is also, are we going to chase just anyone? or do we chase someone who fits a player profile that SBP wants? that sounds better but some kids may be late bloomers, baka mahuli ulit.
              Great points bro. That's why I said, its easier said than done. I know its not easy, to say the least. My point is, if for instance SBP spots a prospect (15 or 14 year old kid) exhibiting some promise & the parents & the kid would show interest, SBP should emphasize to the parents & the kid that time is of the essence. That they have to get their acts ASAP becoz acting later might be a little too late. Huwag na silang maghintay na, halimbawa the kid's 16th birthday is 4 months away, eh saka pa lang sila magsisimulang gumalaw. It might be a little too late already. Kung pwede, mga 8 months prior to the kid's 16th birthday, gumalaw na kaagad ang mga parents & the kid to facilitate everything.

Comment

• ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

In the case of Jayden Harper, I can't help but regret & wish that sana his parents have acted a little earlier - say 1 or 2 months earlier. Sana!

Another "sayang" case.

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
                  2 rebounds 1 assist in 8 minutes of play for Kemark Carino's division 2 debut

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/aomor...ustom_widget_1
                  Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                  Is he playing as a PF/C? Honestly, I don't see how his frame can go up against those bigger imports of the B. League.

He got eaten alive by Jakrawan for gods sake.
                  Originally posted by IPC View Post
                  He's listed as a PF. I do hope he gets reps there, though. That might help make him more useful for Gilas if ever.
                  Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                  I hope so. At least a reliable stretch 4.

No way he's going to improve in the PBA.
                  Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                  JP Erram?
                  I think this is with regard to playing the 4 and switching to the perimeter, which I saw Erram do with some regularity only recently with Chot. Kasi, in the PBA, doesn't matter if you can play 4. Once you're the tallest, you're automatically the 5, especially in the All-Filipino.

Our tallest bigs are 6'6"-6'8". That can be feasible for at least the 4 slot. I hope they consistently get the opportunity to play the 4. That can happen in college, next to taller imports. Sana sa PBA rin. Take out the import height limit.

Comment

• Your opinions on Geo Chiu? Do you see him as purely a low-post player (like Junemar) or more than that?

Under Ateneo, I see Geo being a stretch-5 who is strong on the low post but can also hit jumpers/3s like Aron Baynes.

Chiu’s physique is fit for this as he is not easily pushed by other international bigs. Just needs improvement on his low post moves and shooting touch.
                    GILAS WISHLIST:
                    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                      Your opinions on Geo Chiu? Do you see him as purely a low-post player (like Junemar) or more than that?

Under Ateneo, I see Geo being a stretch-5 who is strong on the low post but can also hit jumpers/3s like Aron Baynes.

Chiu’s physique is fit for this as he is not easily pushed by other international bigs. Just needs improvement on his low post moves and shooting touch.
                      Maybe I'm just a bad coach, I have a 6' 9 big in my Uni team , who can shoot 3's at low %, at the end my most effective lineup was using a 6' 6 forward a center with a versatile strong 6' 3 player at 4. and with 3 guard. that's what worked for me .

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                        Your opinions on Geo Chiu? Do you see him as purely a low-post player (like Junemar) or more than that?

Right now, I see him as a bigger version of Justin Chua, but for sure he can surpass that. He just needs continuous exposure playing with the older guys in Gilas practices. Even if he doesn't pan out to having a game like Baynes' in his peak, him having a ceiling closer to that of GS's would be already a success for PHL basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
                          Right now, I see him as a bigger version of Justin Chua, but for sure he can surpass that. He just needs continuous exposure playing with the older guys in Gilas practices. Even if he doesn't pan out to having a game like Baynes' in his peak, him having a ceiling closer to that of GS's would be already a success for PHL basketball.
                          I hope to see him developed in to a 6'9 bruiser with low post moves and a shooting like isaac Go. We need another big who can relieve Kai and Edu

Comment

• Originally posted by alfrancis View Post
                            I hope to see him developed in to a 6'9 bruiser with low post moves and a shooting like isaac Go. We need another big who can relieve Kai and Edu
                            That would be a very welcomed sight. There's a lot of homegrown players, past and present, that he and other bigs of the same size can model their play styles on.

Comment

• 73K views, 361 likes, 19 loves, 52 comments, 37 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from First Things First on FS1: "Nobody thinks the Lakers are the 20th best team in basketball. But right now, they do...

This is why playing a low post traditional center today , does not always work..

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                                https://fb.watch/8TZZuh6rxe/

This is why playing a low post traditional center today , does not always work..
                                Depends if that guy can shoot. The Lakers right now, they have spacing issues, and starting DeAndre Jordan alongside Russell Westbrook is gonna create more issues. It's also why the pair of Japeth and Standhardinger hasn't worked so far in the PBA.

On the other hand, you have guys like Jokić, Embiid, and Vučević. They are also traditional low-post centers, but they can at least space the floor.

As for us, we have guys like Kouame, who's a traditional post big, but he can space the floor, which is why Gilas won't have many spacing issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information