Future Big Men Of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I think what Clarkson has exhibited playing for Gilas was his ability to facilitate & while at the same sense, be the team's go-to-guy.

U mentioned about Clarkson averaging just 4 assists as not good enough for you. Well, you have to take into consideration that Clarkson joined the team when the basketball tournament has already started. He hasn't practice enough with his teammates so familiarity was obviously an issue. Just imagine had Clarkson trained with the team for 3 weeks, he should have been much more familiar with the games of Standhardinger, Pringle, James Yap, Almazan, Ahanmisi, Taulava.

I think expecting Clarkson to average 8 to 9 assists/game would be too much of an expectation specially if he is also the team's go-to-guy. Not everyone can be like a Lebron James or a Magic Johnson.

Sorry for the OT
    kaya yan, tiwala lang. just kidding, I think Clarkson did post about 9 or 10 assist in the Asian games if i'm not mistaken.the reason why i am looking for its stat sheet. this would actually depend on what we need and the type of opponent we are against with, but with player familiarity and enough time to let the system sync in, I think this is possible, of course this would affect his scoring ability but with a naturalized player, there will be another guy who will be willing to take the cudgels for scoring. 20 points as an average I think won't be bad, occasionally scoring 23 or 22 with 9 or 10 assists (masama na yung 8 or 7), but most importantly the win.In the world cup, against teams like Iran,Cote d' Ivore,Tunisia,Korea,Venezuela etc. I think he could afford not to score too much but with teams like Serbia,Italy,France,Australia and of course the Americans, we might want him to score more. In the Asian qualifiers(if ever) i don't think this may even be a problem. Again this is "IF" FIBA would allow him to play as a local along with a naturalized player. This is simply because we would have more scorers in the team, and we would not require him to score every time. He's not going to be more of a Lebron James but more of a Jason Kidd,Gary Payton or a John Stockton.If Clarkson couldn't do this then I think Perez should step up and provide double-doubble stat sheets every game.
    Last edited by Alex07; 08-08-2020, 03:52 AM.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
      Remember that our coach at that time is one of the worst (CYG), if not the worst of all, aside of being unprepared and Clarkson's arrival at last minute.. I think if we have that good preparation, plus Clarkson come atleast 2 weeks before the tournament and CYG is not our coach (could be Baldwin).. Then maybe we can bag more good results at the Asian Games..
      Agree.

Perhaps, we would have even bagged the Asian Games basketball gold medal. Remember, we came close to scoring a win vs. eventual gold medalist China & our game vs. Korea was close as well.

Say we had 3 weeks of full-time preparation, Clarkson joining the team 2 weeks before the tournament & Tab Baldwin was the coach, I think an Asian Games basketball gold medal would have been well within our reach.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Remember that our coach at that time is one of the worst (CYG), if not the worst of all, aside of being unprepared and Clarkson's arrival at last minute.. I think if we have that good preparation, plus Clarkson come atleast 2 weeks before the tournament and CYG is not our coach (could be Baldwin).. Then maybe we can bag more good results at the Asian Games..
        I am tempted to say this is an excuse but yes, i think you may have a point not to mention that we lack the essential big guys for the tournament to win a medal. Kaya nga we should expose our bigs now and prepare them to be better players than Standhardinger,Erram,Taulava,Belga and Almazan.Actually those players aside from Taulava and Belga would have been decent power forwards but we really lack a big man or two to support those power forwards.Apparently, Zhou Qi,Wang Zhelin,Heddadi and even Ratliff is too much for our bis that time. Those bigs were too much to handle, Clarkson is doing a Lebron James task that time, rebounding and getting steals. Kaya nga it would have been different if a game shape Blatche was there, or Blatche with Fajardo (instead of Belga and Asi).I think a 3 week full time preparation would have made a difference but not enough to cover our weakness at the post.
        "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• JC can be what Manu was to Argentina for us.
          That's alot, I don't care if our other wing is like Delfino size. Let's do with what we've got.
          We can dream all we want of having an ideal size team, I think however our focus just like Argentina is just learn to compete and play together (which means growing together and facing heaps of games together)
          Teams don't become good or elite on paper, they actually have to develop and grow as a unit on the court
          The 4th place Tall Blacks of 2002 World Cup could make all the excuses in the world like Pero was too small for a PF or Dickel could not shoot. But what made them successful is simply doing it on the court and practice.
          If our idea of what will work is for JC to first meet our talented NP in 2023, we're in for a rude awakening, hindi ganoon yun
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
          https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

Slaughter is better option at that time over taulava, we could also tapped some players from abl (rosser, tiongson, Domingo) than belga.. and trollano could be a better option than ahamnisi at that time.. cyg's selection was failed also.. too much guard centric.. we have already tiu, Pringle, lee, at the PG role.. trollano can make dirty works there and good option at back up sg and sf position.. Wala sa ayos, I hope that that guy should never be a national coach again.. NEVER AGAIN!!!
            that time? I don't think so because Gilas back then was having trouble getting players because of player suspension and the team that heed the call was Rain or Shine.I don't think Slaughter was allowed to play or if he was, then he should have volunteered like Standhardinger and Pringle.

Comment

• Apparently Glen Casida grew to 7’2 but he doesn’t really seem interested in basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

Apparently Glen Casida grew to 7’2 but he doesn’t really seem interested in basketball.
                is there any video of this guy's highlight? I don't know but it may be too late for him to improve at 26 years old.i think he's the same case to Jericho De Guzman

Comment

• De Guzman has a good stint in the MPBL but has been hampered by a back injury. Too bad.I think they should both be on that killer leg jump training.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                    JC can be what Manu was to Argentina for us.
                    That's alot, I don't care if our other wing is like Delfino size. Let's do with what we've got.
                    We can dream all we want of having an ideal size team, I think however our focus just like Argentina is just learn to compete and play together (which means growing together and facing heaps of games together)
                    Teams don't become good or elite on paper, they actually have to develop and grow as a unit on the court
                    The 4th place Tall Blacks of 2002 World Cup could make all the excuses in the world like Pero was too small for a PF or Dickel could not shoot. But what made them successful is simply doing it on the court and practice.
                    If our idea of what will work is for JC to first meet our talented NP in 2023, we're in for a rude awakening, hindi ganoon yun
                    That will be only possible if politics will not affect sports

But philipppines is a country that politics affecf all things

Comment

• Is 6-6 JV Papa still growing? How's his progress with the NU Bullpups?
                      sigpic

Comment

• Arman Demigaya should be trained by EWP alongside Kai, not Sage.

Comment

• Originally posted by letsgo View Post
                          Arman Demigaya should be trained by EWP alongside Kai, not Sage.
                          this is what I'm talking about.its not as if everyone can be entertained by ewp and will be invited by them and go to the US. If we have the facilities here and the proper coaches, then maybe we can catch up and train our locals like what they are doing in Australia.If we have such facility here, we can train guys like Kirkness(6'11),Demisana(6'8),Casida(7'2),Papa(6'9) ,Cariño(6'9),Cortez(6'8),Chiu(6'10),Demigaya(6'10 )....etc

Last edited by Alex07; 08-13-2020, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• training the bigs and the guards/wings should be separate.But of course there will be games that they're going to play together.guards/wings should be those 5'11-6'8 and bigs are 6'8-7",bigs may be trained with dribbling and other guard skills and vice versa.

Comment

• Posted yesterday in AJ Edu fan page in facebook, is there anyone have an info about this kid

Comment

• Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                                https://www.facebook.com/groups/3501...2051785202043/

Posted yesterday in AJ Edu fan page in facebook, is there anyone have an info about this kid
                                Nothing besides aniceto is his last name

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information