Future Big Men Of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    So, We have 2 17 yrs old Vaccination Discoveries. Hehe.

Brix Verzosa - 6'8 17 yrs old from Cotabato. Commited now to play for San Beda High School. ( I read Brix is only Grade 11)

Donjie Cornesio - 6'7 17 yrs old from Bohol. (Being offered/recruited by EAC and FEU). Looks like EAC is leading the bid. But we never know, I think more schools will try to get him if he don't commit to any school yet.

LOL. I feel like we will discover more in Vaccination areas. These are 2 prospects in span of 2 days.lmao
    It's a good thing that kids are included in the vaccination now. Imagine if they are already in their 20s na when they get discovered. Malaki din tulong ang socmed

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
      I hope so. It's going to be tricky without FSAs to play with and against in practice.
      Originally posted by ja.he View Post
      Hindi Maui Taylor-generation yan. Cristine Reyes at Ivana Alawi are the sex symbols from the previous decade. Hahaha

FEU is the better option since UAAP still has FSA's to battle against.
      Originally posted by IPC View Post
      Agreed on the FSA part. In addition, having taller FSAs as teammates will push our 6'6"-6'8" bigs to train to play the PF spot if they wanna get more minutes. In a way, that can be beneficial for the development of our bigs.
      This is why it's quite baffling that the NCAA banned FSA's. Sure, they take up opportunities from our local bigs, but they will also help our local bigs go up against imports, whether they go up against the FSA in practice or in games.

And, like I said, there are two big positions in basketball: center and PF. General rule should be that our local 6'6"-6'8" bigs have to be developed to play PF at least, so that they can have more opportunities to play (as they can play alongside the big FSA), and they could be more viable internationally.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
        This is why it's quite baffling that the NCAA banned FSA's. Sure, they take up opportunities from our local bigs, but they will also help our local bigs go up against imports, whether they go up against the FSA in practice or in games.

And, like I said, there are two big positions in basketball: center and PF. General rule should be that our local 6'6"-6'8" bigs have to be developed to play PF at least, so that they can have more opportunities to play (as they can play alongside the big FSA), and they could be more viable internationally.
        Not only bigs. Wings and guards learned how to play with and against players towering over them. Coaches adjusted their game plan because they ate now playing with and against legit Centers. Players are now encouraged to play their natural positions.

I don't think Ayo would have been as successful as he is today if he had not learned how to counter San Beda's size, played with Mbala and Chabi Yo. FSAs helped in the development of NCAA players. You can see the quality naman in the players that they produced in the last decade.

Comment

I read this Manila Times article regarding big men a few months ago. Makes a few points, but kinda problematic.

"Mighty Sports is representing the Philippines in the Dubai Invitational Basketball Championship. They have Andray Blatche as a local, three imports in Renaldo Balkman, Mackenzie Moore and Jelan Kendrick. They also included college stars Thirdy Ravena, Isaac Go, Jamie Malonzo, Dave Ildefonso and the Gomez de Liano brothers, Javi and Juan.

These are the best of the UAAP, and only Isaac Go is a big man. Malonzo is 6’6 but he plays small forward. Ten years ago, he would’ve been pushed to play the slot. Nowadays, the big man role is played by the foreign students. Most of them, primarily from Africa, would spend their college years in some of our top universities. But after that, they do not have a pro league to play on.

Sam Ekwe of San Beda was the start, and other schools followed suit. The Red Lions will now halt the practice as the NCAA Season 95 will do away with foreign students.

The hope is that the NCAA could attract local big men, and also for the schools to step up recruiting in the local scene, rather than “lazily” relying on foreigners.

The current crop of big men in the NCAA consist of raw talents, perhaps taking a backseat has taken its toll on their development—which, in a way, justifies the rule. However, there are also other reasons.

The FIBA obsession
          Filipinos have become height obsessed, and now they also want to develop skills that would be appropriate for the international game. Following the NBA paradigm, it’s now about speed, three-point shooting and less about dominance in the slot.

Calvin Oftana has the height of a PBA big man (6’6), but he has chosen to play small forward and won MVP honors for it. Jeo Ambohot of Letran is in a similar lot, although Ambohot is more of a sleek big man. One thing that you’d notice, both 6’7 players are on the lean side. That probably necessitated their style of play.

With the tall, muscular Africans, it seems like an unfair match. Raymond Almazan was probably the last of the college slotmen who had the audacity to match against Ola Adeogun of San Beda. He’s also lean, but Letran had no import so he had to step up.

It seems we have yet to develop big men because we rely on that foreign/naturalized player to fill that void. But we do have promising big men, in terms of height.

Hope in the Juniors
          The last Juniors match-up in the UAAP featured great big men match-ups. Kai Sotto and Geo Chiu on the Ateneo side and Carl Tamayo and Kevin Quiambao for NU. Chiu has crossed over to the Seniors, but is still playing behind the wunderkind Ange Kouame—this will be a familiar story for the UAAP.

Former NCAA juniors MVP Will Gozum, another hyped potential big man, was left in the freezer when UP got Bright Akhuetie. With the Fighting Maroons securing Malik Diouf, he took off to the CSB in the NCAA. You can see how the import ban worked out for CSB, at least in the short term.

The Juniors rosters are filled with 6’7 and above players, and they would be repurposed to be tough, big men instead of always being trained to be hybrid outside shooters, stretch 4 or what not, then they can develop into quality big men.

Still, the NCAA seniors tall players who’ll have the chance to play as real big men. FIBA dreamers and height purists who insist that “6’7 below should be wing players” will frown upon this, but you have to swallow the bitter pill of truth: Not every player is obsessed with playing for Gilas. They just want a career, PBA or somewhere else.

If you are 6’6, be strong enough and hone your skills, you can be a big man in the PBA, and that’s not a bad thing to hope for. See Beau Belga, who even made it in the international game.

The UAAP and NCAA seniors are no longer good training grounds for big men. Let’s see if the NCAA rule could change that."

Link is here: https://www.manilatimes.net/2020/01/...he-pba/677655/
          And I remember this article yet again.

Comment

This is why it's quite baffling that the NCAA banned FSA's. Sure, they take up opportunities from our local bigs, but they will also help our local bigs go up against imports, whether they go up against the FSA in practice or in games
            Agree. We just have to take the good with the bad eh. Yes, I agree, having FSA has a bad effect, but it also has its good side. And I'm convinced having FSA brings more good than harm to Phi basketball.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
              Agree. We just have to take the good with the bad eh. Yes, I agree, having FSA has a bad effect, but it also has its good side. And I'm convinced having FSA brings more good than harm to Phi basketball.
              It's a question of whether or not you want to live in a false sense of reality.

Let's be real here, majority of Filipinos prefer comforting lies over harsh truths. Having FSAs mean stealing the thunder from local Filipinos. It was never about development of the game but for the sake of pride.
              GILAS WISHLIST:
              6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                It's a question of whether or not you want to live in a false sense of reality.

Let's be real here, majority of Filipinos prefer comforting lies over harsh truths. Having FSAs mean stealing the thunder from local Filipinos. It was never about development of the game but for the sake of pride.
                why we look that way? if that Pinoy player is good, then he is good. He will have his playing time. The problem with many 6'4-6'7 "big" men in the collegiate ranks is that they already know that the FSA's are far taller and way stronger than them, they still insist on playing the post instead of developing their midrange or their perimeter game.
                Attack
                defend
                Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                  why we look that way? if that Pinoy player is good, then he is good. He will have his playing time. The problem with many 6'4-6'7 "big" men in the collegiate ranks is that they already know that the FSA's are far taller and way stronger than them, they still insist on playing the post instead of developing their midrange or their perimeter game.
                  As I repeatedly say, it's all right for a 6'7"+ big to play the post, as long as he is able to play the 4-spot, even if he ends up being an old-school four. That can help them get playing time alongside the taller FSA's and imports. However, even if they are old-school fours, they might need to space the floor for the bigger foreigners, even for a little bit.

Comment

• For me, train those kids on how to dribble the ball on both hands to save his life in front of a notorious defender and teach them the basic mechanics on how to shoot the free throw in a balance way, then if the lad already establish his muscle memory on those two aspects, then eventually taught them the proper placing and timing in rebounding a ball on both ends. I think those stuff is a good foundation if the handlers wants those kids to be a serviceable players both defensively and offensively on the long run, and on the other hand, footworks and strong reflexes can be develop eventually during the above drills…The bottomline here is to establish the proper balance on both feet inside the court and eventually squeeze whatever basketball talent those tall kids had, and lastly, the critical part is the attitude, are those kids are motivated and dedicated enough to challenge themselves to be better every day, skills-wise or they are just contented on what’s on the table provided by their Jurassic minded(?) handlers/coaches. The good thing about Kai Sotto when he is still a 12 yr. old kid interviewed by that bombastic Snow Badua that he is dead serious in playing in the NBA and be a regular All-Star Guy star guy. As much as I’m expecting that all younger kids nowadays had the same mindset as a 12 yr. old Kai but in reality every kids had a different perspective as far as basketball career are concern moving forward, I hope that there are still a lot of Kaiju minded kids out there who had the audacity to dream big if they think they had the physical attributes to do so.

Comment

As I repeatedly say, it's all right for a 6'7"+ big to play the post, as long as he is able to play the 4-spot, even if he ends up being an old-school four. That can help them get playing time alongside the taller FSA's and imports. However, even if they are old-school fours, they might need to space the floor for the bigger foreigners, even for a little bit.
                      Hence, a reliable medium range jump shot would be valuable asset for a 4. Mid-range jump shot seems to be a dying art in modern basketball as halos lahat nalang gustong tumira sa 3's. Yung iba kahit hindi talaga range ang 3-pt, tira pa rin ng tira instead of taking a medium range shot. That is why I love the eras of the 90's & early 2000's PBA. Bigs like Patrimonio, Limpot, Vic Pablo, Codinera, Espino, Bong Hawkins, Danny Ildefonso, had very reliable mid-range jumpers.
                      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                        Hence, a reliable medium range jump shot would be valuable asset for a 4. Mid-range jump shot seems to be a dying art in modern basketball as halos lahat nalang gustong tumira sa 3's. Yung iba kahit hindi talaga range ang 3-pt, tira pa rin ng tira instead of taking a medium range shot. That is why I love the eras of the 90's & early 2000's PBA. Bigs like Patrimonio, Limpot, Vic Pablo, Codinera, Espino, Bong Hawkins, Danny Ildefonso, had very reliable mid-range jumpers.
                        Sure, it's just two points and it's less efficient than a shot close to the basket, but come on, it's still a valuable shot, especially for bigs. Even if the bigs can't make a 3-ball, a midrange jumper will help space the floor enough. However, shooting's a matter of practice, and some can develop that weapon eventually.

Also, the bigs you mentioned were good low-post operators as well. A 6'7"-6'8" big who can play 4, can operate in the post, and probably shoot from midrange would be a nice addition for Gilas.

Comment

• Originally posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
                          For me, train those kids on how to dribble the ball on both hands to save his life in front of a notorious defender and teach them the basic mechanics on how to shoot the free throw in a balance way, then if the lad already establish his muscle memory on those two aspects, then eventually taught them the proper placing and timing in rebounding a ball on both ends. I think those stuff is a good foundation if the handlers wants those kids to be a serviceable players both defensively and offensively on the long run, and on the other hand, footworks and strong reflexes can be develop eventually during the above drills…The bottomline here is to establish the proper balance on both feet inside the court and eventually squeeze whatever basketball talent those tall kids had, and lastly, the critical part is the attitude, are those kids are motivated and dedicated enough to challenge themselves to be better every day, skills-wise or they are just contented on what’s on the table provided by their Jurassic minded(?) handlers/coaches. The good thing about Kai Sotto when he is still a 12 yr. old kid interviewed by that bombastic Snow Badua that he is dead serious in playing in the NBA and be a regular All-Star Guy star guy. As much as I’m expecting that all younger kids nowadays had the same mindset as a 12 yr. old Kai but in reality every kids had a different perspective as far as basketball career are concern moving forward, I hope that there are still a lot of Kaiju minded kids out there who had the audacity to dream big if they think they had the physical attributes to do so.
                          Usually, especially the poor kids (like JMF), they are contented to play in the PBA (or Uaap/Ncaa) since it will help them to turn from rags to riches. (For them, that is the ultimate dream already)

I am an avid Kai Sotto Fan. But we cannot deny that aside from his Height and Skills. He is also blessed with a family that is capable financially. And they are all support to Kai in hid nba dreams.

If only more and more sponsors can help.

But I agree, I hope they dream bigger. And if they do, hope there are some good sponsors there to support them

Comment

• Math, Totally agree reality bites. We can't live in made up, we have to face the real third world country scenarios

Comment

• I always ask who in NCAA or UAAP center that hasn't have a perimeter shot in the last 10 years. Most of the time its the FSA who have no outside shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                                Usually, especially the poor kids (like JMF), they are contented to play in the PBA (or Uaap/Ncaa) since it will help them to turn from rags to riches. (For them, that is the ultimate dream already)

I am an avid Kai Sotto Fan. But we cannot deny that aside from his Height and Skills. He is also blessed with a family that is capable financially. And they are all support to Kai in hid nba dreams.

If only more and more sponsors can help.

But I agree, I hope they dream bigger. And if they do, hope there are some good sponsors there to support them
                                It's only the well off kids who can dream of eveb sniffing the NBA. Do you think Kiefer,Japeth, Kobe, would even think of going to the US if they're poor? Heck even Parks went back to the Philippines to play ball because of financial reasons like a lot of Filipino foreigners

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information