Future Big Men Of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
    Been watching Joe Devance and Jason Perkins play point forward for their respective teams, and play from the perimeter despite playing the 4-spot. Our future bigs who are around 6'6"-6'8" tall should be developed to have their skillsets as much as possible in the youth level.

It helps our bigs become versatile on both ends. On offense, they'll be given the opportunity to play from the perimeter to give them much needed versatility. On defense, the bigs guarding them will be forced to guard them on the perimeter. If this trend goes on, it will help our bigs compensate for their lack of size.

Hopefully, we train bigs that fit the aforementioned bill.
    sorry, if we wait to figure out who might grow a certain height, then we most likely lost a few years of development already. train everyone who wants to learn all the skills possible. let the coach and the player adjust as he goes along and where\how he fits.
    WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
    SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• Originally posted by C2Hamm View Post
      sorry, if we wait to figure out who might grow a certain height, then we most likely lost a few years of development already. train everyone who wants to learn all the skills possible. let the coach and the player adjust as he goes along and where\how he fits.
      Yeah, I was kinda saying this. Sorry for the poor wording. My point was, train everyone to be versatile, especially if they become bigs later on. Undersized tayo, so compensate with versatility.

Comment

Yeah, I was kinda saying this. Sorry for the poor wording. My point was, train everyone to be versatile, especially if they become bigs later on. Undersized tayo, so compensate with versatility.
        Yes. Undersized na nga, less versatile pa.

I cannot help but to mention that overseas players Kai and AJ are way taller than our local bigs, yet they are way more versatile.

Aj can play SF/PF/C . And Kai can play PF/C

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
          Yes. Undersized na nga, less versatile pa.

I cannot help but to mention that overseas players Kai and AJ are way taller than our local bigs, yet they are way more versatile.

Aj can play SF/PF/C . And Kai can play PF/C
          Old-school na nga ang coaching and development, 'di pa bagay sa height. It's really kind of ironic and sad that Kai and Edu are taller, but also more versatile when it should be the other way around ideally. Kaya sana 'yung mga future bigs, more versatile or just as versatile.

Quiambao, Tamayo, Ong, Demisana, Salvoro, Basti may hopefully start a trend of versatile, somewhat positionless 6'6"-6'8" players. New age na.

Comment

Old-school na nga ang coaching and development, 'di pa bagay sa height. It's really kind of ironic and sad that Kai and Edu are taller, but also more versatile when it should be the other way around ideally. Kaya sana 'yung mga future bigs, more versatile or just as versatile.

Quiambao, Tamayo, Ong, Demisana, Salvoro, Basti may hopefully start a trend of versatile, somewhat positionless 6'6"-6'8" players. New age na.
            Basti has best chance. He is really a Wing. Pinipilit lang syang gawin faceup big like Japeth

And he is 6'7 15 yrs old. I am sure his height will be around 6'9-6'10 which is for a big. But atleast he have some glimpse of wings and gurd skills.

Comment

• It’d be interesting if the Philippines could develop 4s like this guy, not explosive but fluid and have decent vertical measurements wingspan isn’t exceptional since he’s 6’9 with a 6’9 wingspan but can be a playmaker and handle the ball a bit

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                i hope they could naturalize this kid on time or as soon as possible and i hope FIBA could treat him as a local.

I do hope Ange gets considered as a Local. After all he is a homegrown talent. I think he has a better case to be exempted compared to JC and remy. Chances are still low though. He should also try G League after his UAAP stint. If not a mainstay in Alab and Mighty is not too bad either.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

It’d be interesting if the Philippines could develop 4s like this guy, not explosive but fluid and have decent vertical measurements wingspan isn’t exceptional since he’s 6’9 with a 6’9 wingspan but can be a playmaker and handle the ball a bit
                  This guy is actually a wing or combo forward. He should be a prototype for every big trained here.

It's ideal that bigs here are trained like this kid, like wings so that they're more like tweener forwards than bigs. Our bigs are undersized, so we need to compensate with versatility. Kind of like Joe Devance, Jason Perkins. A 4 out or 5 out will be needed for our bigs to be trained like this. Our bigs should also be trained to switch and rotate back in the youth level.

Good news is, a number of young bigs fit the tweener forward bill, like Demisana, Salvoro, Ong, Tamayo, Quiambao, Basti (although I'd prefer to see him as a wing). Hope kids like Gagate, Padrones, Palacielo, Perciano can fit the bill someday.

Comment

This guy is actually a wing or combo forward. He should be a prototype for every big trained here.

It's ideal that bigs here are trained like this kid, like wings so that they're more like tweener forwards than bigs. Our bigs are undersized, so we need to compensate with versatility. Kind of like Joe Devance, Jason Perkins. A 4 out or 5 out will be needed for our bigs to be trained like this. Our bigs should also be trained to switch and rotate back in the youth level.

Good news is, a number of young bigs fit the tweener forward bill, like Demisana, Salvoro, Ong, Tamayo, Quiambao, Basti (although I'd prefer to see him as a wing). Hope kids like Gagate, Padrones, Palacielo, Perciano can fit the bill someday.
                    The only thing still missing from them to truly make them great tweeners is the athleticism factor, doesn't need to be super athletic, just fluid enough that they dont look off when they run or jump

Comment

• call it luck or whatever, i brought in Mason Amos to my team last year, he was around 6'3ish , now he's a legit 6'7 , he's taller than his coach Mika Vukona, his skill set is really advance. for a player who just turned 16 yrs old.

he was bugging our coach in NBTC - Camp david ( a 12 yr Euro league vet)last year with bragging about his game, then we realise the reason he was like that was he was a 14 yr old boy lol, (totoy pa) , after the tournament i said this guy is going place , he had a basketball mind...beyond his years.. our coach wanted to coach and invest in him (and for good reason - )

last weekend my son played together with his co Atenean, ( a litterally forgotten player) who's 6' 7 , people forget how mobile he is , anyway they won the tournament .. and showed why they were recruited by a top school and why they're the best Pinoy big and PG in NZ
                      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                      https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                        call it luck or whatever, i brought in Mason Amos to my team last year, he was around 6'3ish , now he's a legit 6'7 , he's taller than his coach Mika Vukona, his skill set is really advance. for a player who just turned 16 yrs old.

he was bugging our coach in NBTC - Camp david ( a 12 yr Euro league vet)last year with bragging about his game, then we realise the reason he was like that was he was a 14 yr old boy lol, (totoy pa) , after the tournament i said this guy is going place , he had a basketball mind...beyond his years.. our coach wanted to coach and invest in him (and for good reason - )

last weekend my son played together with his co Atenean, ( a litterally forgotten player) who's 6' 7 , people forget how mobile he is , anyway they won the tournament .. and showed why they were recruited by a top school and why they're the best Pinoy big and PG in NZ
                        His foot speed doesn’t seem to good, and he looked like he still has baby fats on him, as he gets older and gets leaner might help with his speed

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                          Ateneo is really targeting mobile 6'7" players to play as bigs that fit Tab's vision of modern basketball.

The 6'7" kid with whom your son played, he is in team B, no?

Comment

Ateneo is really targeting mobile 6'7" players to play as bigs that fit Tab's vision of modern basketball.

The 6'7" kid with whom your son played, he is in team B, no?
                            yes Edward Maagdenberg, there are some things you only find out when you actually engage and coach a player, with Ed as passionate as he is in the game , he does not have the mind of Mason, (a basketball mind) , (i hope this is not read by any of them) , it's reflected in how their understanding of the game.

in one play.. last weekend, Ed took a open shot , it wasn't a bad shot really. but in the context of the situation it was, if you understand game management and winning basketball. it takes a basketball mind to understand this.
                            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
                              His foot speed doesn’t seem to good, and he looked like he still has baby fats on him, as he gets older and gets leaner might help with his speed
                              yes his motor is a concern but within the context of his age, i think he will learn and compensate. my confidence is because i've seen how he thinks.. ( it's hard to explain ... you just have a good feel of certain players.

Comment

• Tab has an eye for these intangibles , (feel for the game) , he's seem my son for the last 4 years, and even as a 14 yr old being outplayed by older players and yes maybe some a little older than him (same yr) you can see his feel for the game.

i saw it in Navarro even when he was a bust in San beda etc.. there are just somethings you cannot teach ,

AJ is another kid , his obvious physcial attributes aside, you need to see his seriousness and professionalism as young as a teenager..
                                you get to understand and see these things as you engage them and how to react to situations. you don't see him overact litterally on certain situations. like if you praise him or he get's an injury , it's like OK .. ive got other things to focus on... it's something build in his upbringing

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information