Future Big Men Of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    How time flies. In late 2010s, we are lacking Big/Tall Centers that can matchup internationally

Now, we are having a surplus of Big,Tall Centers Prospects. I mean quality Big Men.

It started with JMF and Greg back in 2014.

And now 2020s, we have Kai,Aj, Kirkness,Tamayo, Salvoro,Demisana, Chiu, Baltazar,Go, etc. Most are mobile and quality Big men.
    we have to step up in getting new bigs as well,hopefully we'll get Sage eligible to play for us, now we have other kids that may be very talented player in the future,I'm talking about Harris,Miller and Harper who "hopefully" will get eligible as well.We have three other up and coming kids as well in Lopez,Briones jr. and Annonuevo. It's fun to stack up our guards and small forward position but we also have to get athletically talented,skillful bigs.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
      come to think of it,Erram was sort of a late bloomer as well.He's just another bench guy back in Ateneo(Slaughter and Baclao I believe were the top bigs for Ateneo back then plus he got injured), however Matt needs to work a lot more if he wants to be at least PBA all star material.
      You only need to see how far he slid in the draft, considering the top 3 picks are bigs. Even Holstein and Justin Chua were picked ahead of him. So yeah, there’s still a lot of room for improvement for the likes of Aquino, and Carino as well.
      Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
        The problem is that he is a lazy guy like his father.. He can joined previous draft last year where no marquee names applied at the draft and could be atleast a mid first rounder (or maybe 2nd pick as Blackwater badly needs big man).. He has no passion for the game..
        One of the things Aquino is though is a 6'8 mobile big man who can shoot the 3. How many big men 6'8+ in the PBA can do that? and we claim to have a shortage of big men with skills but a guy like is falling through the cracks

Comment

I don't know where is he now? Last time i heard about him eh he is playing in the MPBL w/ his father.. that was 2 years ago or something, but today no news about him.. He could joined the draft last year and being drafted as early as 2nd pick (Blackwater needs a big, so if Aquino was there eh they will pick him over Shaw).. and remember he needs also to join the draft next year so that he can't be ban from the league..
          Goes to show height is no longer the sole factor hindering our success in international basketball.

Height is still a roadblock but not as much as it was one or two decades ago.
          GILAS WISHLIST:
          6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
            Goes to show height is no longer the sole factor hindering our success in international basketball.

Height is still a roadblock but not as much as it was one or two decades ago.
            Height is also NOT the SOLE factor hindering our success decades ago.

I will argue that Height is more of a Roadblock now than decades ago. Now,our guards need to be Tall, or else we will have a mismatch disadvantage. MUCH more in the PF/C spot where most of them are agile 6'11 to 7 footers.

The reason why Italy and Serbia easily knock down their 3s against us is because we are too small. Imagine Barroca, Lee, Kiefer closing out on Gallinari( A 6'10 Shooter) and the other tall shooters. They killed us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
              come to think of it,Erram was sort of a late bloomer as well.He's just another bench guy back in Ateneo(Slaughter and Baclao I believe were the top bigs for Ateneo back then plus he got injured), however Matt needs to work a lot more if he wants to be at least PBA all star material.
              Erram was already showing a glimpse of his talent as a rookie in the UAAP. When Ateneo lost Rabeh and Baclao to graduation, I thought it was his time to shine. But Slaughter came into the picture and he was back again in the shadows of his more illustrious teammates. Reason why PBA teams wasn't high on him.

Matt Aquino is more of a disappointment. As a son of a pro player and grew up in a basketball world, I think he didn't make use of those opportunities. Unlike Kai who seemed to have had been well guided, trained and motivated by his father as a kid. If Matt is the same case as Kai, he could be a more dimensional player, not content in just throwing threes.

Comment

I don't know where is he now? Last time i heard about him eh he is playing in the MPBL w/ his father.. that was 2 years ago or something, but today no news about him.. He could joined the draft last year and being drafted as early as 2nd pick (Blackwater needs a big, so if Aquino was there eh they will pick him over Shaw).. and remember he needs also to join the draft next year so that he can't be ban from the league..
                I think Matt has not yet played in the D League, correct me if Im wrong, thats why he is not qualified to join the draft. Matt has the perimeter shooting, eve quite mobile , what henlack is strength..

Comment

• I remember about 2 years ago in the program Fastbreak at Teleradyo, Marlou Aquino was among the guests. Host Freddie Webb, asked Marlou if how does his son Matthew play, Marlou replied that Matt is more mobile & quicker than him, to which Freddie Webb said like, "Eh mas may babagal pa ba sayo (referring to Marlou)?" To which everyone broke into laughter.

I think Matt really has the mobility & quickness to play the 4 & he can also hit from the outside. His downside is lack of low post game.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                    I think Matt has not yet played in the D League, correct me if Im wrong, thats why he is not qualified to join the draft. Matt has the perimeter shooting, eve quite mobile , what henlack is strength..
                    He played last year for Marinerong Filipino, had 10 pts and 5 boards in his debut
                    https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports....-routs-feu/amp

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                      I remember about 2 years ago in the program Fastbreak at Teleradyo, Marlou Aquino was among the guests. Host Freddie Webb, asked Marlou if how does his son Matthew play, Marlou replied that Matt is more mobile & quicker than him, to which Freddie Webb said like, "Eh mas may babagal pa ba sayo (referring to Marlou)?" To which everyone broke into laughter.

I think Matt really has the mobility & quickness to play the 4 & he can also hit from the outside. His downside is lack of low post game.
                      this was 2 years ago.. drives past Kouame gets blocked, recovers the ball bangs Ange for an and 1..

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
                        this was 2 years ago.. drives past Kouame gets blocked, recovers the ball bangs Ange for an and 1..

In fairness to Mat-mat the kid has the tools aside from the height it's just that he needs that extra motivation to bring out that fire in his belly, a coach who will fully understand his attitude and knows how to push the right button to unleash those things.

Comment

• Originally posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
                          In fairness to Mat-mat the kid has the tools aside from the height it's just that he needs that extra motivation to bring out that fire in his belly, a coach who will fully understand his attitude and knows how to push the right button to unleash those things.
                          so essentially like father like son tlga����

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                            Height is also NOT the SOLE factor hindering our success decades ago.

I will argue that Height is more of a Roadblock now than decades ago. Now,our guards need to be Tall, or else we will have a mismatch disadvantage. MUCH more in the PF/C spot where most of them are agile 6'11 to 7 footers.

The reason why Italy and Serbia easily knock down their 3s against us is because we are too small. Imagine Barroca, Lee, Kiefer closing out on Gallinari( A 6'10 Shooter) and the other tall shooters. They killed us.
                            Nah, the tallest players of italian team gilas faced last year were tessitori and gallinari - both were only 6'10. Look at their team and you will see that the majority of their roster was composed of players around 6'5-6'8. They were tall across from 1-3 and ok in size at 4 and undersize at 5.

Make your facts straight.
                            Attack
                            defend
                            Unite

Comment

• Exactly. They have Tall wing Shooters that kills our undersize wings.

I did not say that their Center killed us.

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                                Nah, the tallest players of italian team gilas faced last year were tessitori and gallinari - both were only 6'10. Look at their team and you will see that the majority of their roster was composed of players around 6'5-6'8. They were tall across from 1-3 and ok in size at 4 and undersize at 5.

Make your facts straight.
                                Exactly italy have tall wings that killed our undersize wings.

I did not say that Italy Centers Killed Us.

I said their TALL Shooters Killed us.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information