No announcement yet.

Arvydas Macijauskas Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Majority of Turkish bball followers got to know him some 7-8 years ago when we met Lithuania on the road in Eurobasket preliminary rounds. At those years, it was still out of question for us to get a win against Lithuania, but interestingly that game was close. Until an unknown, unusual-looking guy killed any hope. He dropped points like rain and scored +40 if i remember correctly. Then we never forgot him.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Wow this almost came out of nowhere. Everyone knew he had physical problems, but he was trying to comeback and was even talked to be part of Lithuania this year... What an awful surprise. One of the deadliest shooters in Europe in recent years, he still had some good years ahead of him. I'm sure he didn't take this decision lighthearted, he was always a fighter. I remember when I first heard about him he was still with Rytas and was regarded as a starlet already at a young age, destined to have a great future. Guess his great future was incomplete...
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

One of the best strokes of the past decade. Unfortunately, his career ended on a bad note. But man, he did have a hell of career. His best years were with Tau, but I don't think it was a mistake for him to go to the NBA. Once players are that good, everybody knows they have talent; they just need the right opportunity to be successful and New Orleans wasn't the right opportunity. After his injury, he seemed pretty successful with Oly, but I don't know.

Great player.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Comment

Very, very sad news about Macas. He was my favourite player together with Šiškauskas... Will never forget him.

Full story: Macijauskas announces retirement, wants to coach in future http://www.lithuaniabasketball.com/n...in-future.html
            You can follow me on twitter @LithuaniaBasket

Comment

I'm curious: how will everyone here (especially the Lithuanians) remember Macijauskas?

As one of the most prolific scorers in EL history? As a guy who turned Lietuvos Rytas on the map at the start of the decade? As somebody whose biggest mistake was leaving for the NBA? As the guy who led Lithuania to Eurobasket gold in 2003? Or just as someone whose career never could be accurately judged because of all the injuries he suffered? I'd love to hear your opinions and you can vote below on EL Adventures.

POLL: How will you remember Arvydas Macijauskas?
              Euroleague Adventures

The Dotted Line Up: Ranking all the Euroleague Free Agents

Subscribe to the podcast for free on iTunes and follow ELA on Twitter: Euro_Adventures

Comment

Macijauskas got a new job: he will be the assistant coach of Rytas' farm team "Perlas".

Comment

Originally posted by Gytaz View Post
                  Macijauskas got a new job: he will be the assistant coach of Rytas' farm team "Perlas".
                  And here's the full story, with quotes and stuff... http://www.lithuaniabasketball.com/n...ing-staff.html
                  You can follow me on twitter @LithuaniaBasket

Comment

Great video of Macijauskas in TAU. IMO, second best Lithuanian SG after Marčiulionis. Youngs should learn because no-one is even close to that these days (Stauskas could be on the second thought...).

Este es un vídeo para conmemorar a una de las más grandes leyendas del Baskonia. Uno de los últimos tiradores puros, el lituano Arvydas Macijauskas.La canció...
                    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                    Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I thought that Rimas Kurtinaitis was the SG while Marčiulionis was the PG on those fabled Lithuanian teams from 1992 to 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                        I thought that Rimas Kurtinaitis was the SG while Marčiulionis was the PG on those fabled Lithuanian teams from 1992 to 1996.

There was no strickt PG back then. Theoretically Chomicius was in 1992, but practically it was Marciulionis who was running the game, Kurtinaitis and Karnisovas played as forwards, Sabas as C. Overall during that time LT NT played a lot with small 5. In 1995 Chomicius played very little cause of age, Marciulionis was more of PG, at times Lukminas, in 1996 Lukminas+Vaisvila, but it was the guys who was just bringing the ball to other side of the court, in case to keep Marcela fresh

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          There was no
                          strickt PG back then. Theoretically Chomicius was in 1992, but
                          practically it was Marciulionis who was running the game, Kurtinaitis
                          and Karnisovas played as forwards, Sabas as C. Overall during that time
                          LT NT played a lot with small 5. In 1995 Chomicius played very little
                          cause of age, Marciulionis was more of PG, at times Lukminas, in 1996
                          Lukminas+Vaisvila, but it was the guys who was just bringing the ball to
                          other side of the court, in case to keep Marcela fresh
                          Actually Vaišvila was more than that in 96. He was really good. He could drive and score, he could handle the ball. Underrated Lith really. Watched the games of 96 lately. Marcela was almost done there.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                            Actually Vaišvila was more than that in 96. He was really good. He could drive and score, he could handle the ball. Underrated Lith really. Watched the games of 96 lately. Marcela was almost done there.
                            Vaisvila was good player, no doubt, but more while playin in LKL with Atletas, while in NT he wasn't that brave to shoot or penetrate, even tho he could do that. During those years even such recognised shooter like Lukminas was hesitating before shot, cause all the plays were goin't through our stars, other looked afraid of taking responsibility in important games

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              Vaisvila was good player, no doubt, but more while playin in LKL with Atletas, while in NT he wasn't that brave to shoot or penetrate, even tho he could do that. During those years even such recognised shooter like Lukminas was hesitating before shot, cause all the plays were goin't through our stars, other looked afraid of taking responsibility in important games
                              I remember him well from Atletas. But I was surprised how solid he was in the NT watching this game against USA in 1996 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=virP_OrHpBE) and some other games.

PS: Intriguing chance to see skinny Eurelijus going against Shaq And as I see it now, this game was a prelude to 2000 famous semifinal USA - Lithuania.
                              Last edited by Straight forward; 06-22-2014, 08:00 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Macas' 40pts game highlights against Asvel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYW9lF910k

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information