No announcement yet.

what is your holiday destination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I booked 3 flights within 24 hours the other day, surely a new personal record.

1) Going to Belfast, Northern Ireland, for a couple of days in August (for some kind of bussiness I have to do there: No, it's not a dodgy bussiness. Not all bussiness by Bulgarians are dodgy you know) so I thought I could combine it with some sightseeing and stuff. Booked a reasonably priced Bed&Breakfast near the area I have to be. Didn't bother to read any reviews about the place before I booked. I only did so afterwards. Look what I found:
    "Beware this Terrible Trap"
    "...certainly the worst lodging we have experienced in a UK B&B."
    "This place is like a flophouse"

Great, I bet it's also at the border of a catholic and a protestant naighbourhood, with all the fun that comes with it....

2) Going to Sofia in September. Too busy to go there in the summer, I would have to settle with a September visit. It's only for a week or so but I will sqeeze in some days over the border at some Halkidiki beach and on the way back spend some time in Blagoevgrad.

3) Altanta, GA, in October. Going there for a conference. Not really looking forward to it, I am going to be busy as hell at the time. Unfortunately NBA doesn't start until November so I won't be able to watch a Hawks' game. Come to think of it, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all...
    And no stinky Bed&Breakfasts this time. Booked a room at Hilton
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

greece

lefkas has the very best beaches in greece(take a look http://www.thalassa.gr/ ) and i like it a lot but i prefer corfu(kerkira),santorini,amorgos,symi,rhodes,thaso s,kalymnos,chalkidiki oh and pylos.
      these are terrific places for holidays.i ve been in paris well ok eifel is fantastic but to be honest the city didnt impress me.i prefer small more picturesque towns like corfu .florence is lovely of course(i think it looks like corfu a lot)

i love pilio also and nafplio xmmm what else let me think, of course! my town thessaloniki

ys:i am looking forward to go to mount athos (but this is not of course a tourist destination

Comment

My next trip is London.

Comment

Plan to visit my homeland (Philippines)... other than that... its the U.S., U.K., Spain and especially Greece....

sigpic

Comment

I just discovered this thread, very entertaining.

I returned from a 1 month holiday in Paphos, Cyprus a week ago and it was great.

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
            Anywhere with not too many British tourists would be fine for me. Therefore, the Algarve, the south of Spain, Ibiza, Faliraki, Aya Napa etc are out of the question.
            What's wrong with Brits? Scots would be offended...

Originally posted by CHINA TEAM
            I,often play basketball with my friends everyday(there are many playground in my living city) on holiday,And to fish with my friends Some times......fishing is my One of biggest hobbies,I start to study fish from 6 years old~
            Another classic post, destination playground...

Originally posted by Digdis
            I can also highly recommend of Georgia - Great views & atmosphere, not spoiled by massive tourism yet, but can well be the next Croatia.
            D.
            Been there and I couldn't agree more. Where did you go? Tbilisi or Black Sea, like Sochumi?
            Last edited by ArkadiosV2; 01-25-2008, 06:55 AM.

Originally posted by parso
            Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
            Originally posted by sseppel
            it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
            Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
            Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Thanks for bringing up this post again, Ark. I like it.

As Stuart wrote two years ago, I think most Americans just travel to see family for their holidays. Otherwise, I think Florida, New York, and southern California are the big destinations. In Ohio, it's popular to travel with family to the mountains in eastern Kentucky or West Virginia. As far as tourism goes, West Virginia is completely unspoiled. I think that some of our international friends would love West Virginia. There isn't much nightlife, but the natural surroundings and culture are just beautiful.

I spend most of my vacations in Costa Rica with my wife. Costa Rica is, for a large part, an international tourist destination, with good reason. The natural beauty there is incomparable, but relatively busy with other tourists. Of course, with all tourist destinations, there are two different economies: one for locals and one for tourists. None of the big tourist guidebooks ever show the little "soda" restaurants or "room for let" "hotels." I think I'm lucky to have a wife who is from a very small village which is made up mostly of her extended family, so I am fine being a vagabond at the hole-in-the-wall places around her village.

The worst part about Costa Rica is not the eco-tourists though, who are prevelant but generally respectful. The worst part is the Evangelical missionary movement. When we visit, I would take the bus to town about twice a week. I would frequently see a group of teenage missionaries led by an equal number of adults acting out some Biblical scene. I have nothing against Christians, obviously, but I just think it's ironic that they would evangelize a country where 95% of the country is already Christian. It seems to me that they just wanted a reason for a vacation that is paid for by donations.

--Matt
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair
                The worst part is the Evangelical missionary movement. When we visit, I would take the bus to town about twice a week. I would frequently see a group of teenage missionaries led by an equal number of adults acting out some Biblical scene. I have nothing against Christians, obviously, but I just think it's ironic that they would evangelize a country where 95% of the country is already Christian. It seems to me that they just wanted a reason for a vacation that is paid for by donations.

--Matt
                For free holidays in Costa Rica i'd join them right away, and I'm not that fond of Christianity.

Originally posted by parso
                Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
                Originally posted by sseppel
                it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
                Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
                Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

In Latvia people mostly visit Egypt, Turkey, Greece because of the cheap prices, warm climate, beaches, historical sites etc.
                  In winter many go to Alps to ski. It is a trend here especially for youngsters to celebrate New Year in Paris or London, the economics is developing, young people meet other young people from France or Great Britain here in Riga or writing e-mails, plane tickets are cheap so almost everybody can afford it.
                  I like Bavaria region in Germany, have been there a few times. Mountains, great scenery, people. I like to be there. Not too far to the Czech border, good beer in both sides. Prague is too crowded for me nowadays.
                  I also like Tallinn. I think the city has the best Old Town in Baltic, great stuff there. Lithuanian big cities and Riga are nice too. As a Latvian I recently rediscovered the Old Town of Riga and to my surprise there was much to see and there were many interesting things and stuff I had forgotten already. As I am not from Riga it was nice and it is still nice too walk the narrow streets of Vecriga (Old Riga) at night. Though more and more tourists are coming here too, in summer you might even not hear Latvian there.

Comment

On my next vacation I am planning to hit Honolulu for a few days. I have not made any plans to go anywhere outside Oahu, but I may eventually pop to one of the other islands if it seems like a good idea. Not looking forward to the insanely long flights (through LAX) though...
                    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

A lot of Germans like to go south, mainly Spain. A lot of them drink and behave disrespectful towards the locals. I detest these kind of things, so I've always found ways to back off when my ballclub went for a Mallorca drinking tour or such thing. Sports teams going on a vacation together for 3 or 4 days after the end of the season is quite a common thing by the way.

Families either go south (mainly Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece - with Croatia and Bulgaria becoming more and more popular) or travel up north to Scandinavia (something I have been doing for years in my childhood), mainly Sweden.

In the winter, Austria is the place where a lot of people go skiing or snowboarding. Switzerland is nice, but way too expensive.

It remains to conclude that Germans rather prefer the safe 2 weeks at the beach while drinking cocktail over the adventorous trip into not-so-well-known areas. Something I cannot share.

Comment

Greetings..

First time i went out of the country was last june--went to singapore.This christmas were planning to go to malaysia then shopping to hong kong.

[No ads please, put them in your signature if you wish]
                        Last edited by rikhardur; 09-12-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

my dream holiday destination is somewhere in Europe..
                          Singapore Travel

Comment

currently looking forward for a short trip to Barcelona..
                            Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. - Josh Billings
                            tour packages | travel agencies | hotel booking

Comment

Of to Montenegro to earn some money playing guitar with my brother
                              "Without Bach, God would be a complete second rate figure. Bach's music is the only argument proving the creation of the Universe cannot be regarded a complete failure" - Emil Cioran

Comment

Originally posted by Led00 View Post
                                Of to Montenegro to earn some money playing guitar with my brother
                                Sweet! Do you guys have any recordings or something that we could download?
                                "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information