Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is your holiday destination?

Thanks for bringing up this post again, Ark. I like it.

As Stuart wrote two years ago, I think most Americans just travel to see family for their holidays. Otherwise, I think Florida, New York, and southern California are the big destinations. In Ohio, it's popular to travel with family to the mountains in eastern Kentucky or West Virginia. As far as tourism goes, West Virginia is completely unspoiled. I think that some of our international friends would love West Virginia. There isn't much nightlife, but the natural surroundings and culture are just beautiful.

I spend most of my vacations in Costa Rica with my wife. Costa Rica is, for a large part, an international tourist destination, with good reason. The natural beauty there is incomparable, but relatively busy with other tourists. Of course, with all tourist destinations, there are two different economies: one for locals and one for tourists. None of the big tourist guidebooks ever show the little "soda" restaurants or "room for let" "hotels." I think I'm lucky to have a wife who is from a very small village which is made up mostly of her extended family, so I am fine being a vagabond at the hole-in-the-wall places around her village.

The worst part about Costa Rica is not the eco-tourists though, who are prevelant but generally respectful. The worst part is the Evangelical missionary movement. When we visit, I would take the bus to town about twice a week. I would frequently see a group of teenage missionaries led by an equal number of adults acting out some Biblical scene. I have nothing against Christians, obviously, but I just think it's ironic that they would evangelize a country where 95% of the country is already Christian. It seems to me that they just wanted a reason for a vacation that is paid for by donations.

--Matt
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair
    The worst part is the Evangelical missionary movement. When we visit, I would take the bus to town about twice a week. I would frequently see a group of teenage missionaries led by an equal number of adults acting out some Biblical scene. I have nothing against Christians, obviously, but I just think it's ironic that they would evangelize a country where 95% of the country is already Christian. It seems to me that they just wanted a reason for a vacation that is paid for by donations.

--Matt
    For free holidays in Costa Rica i'd join them right away, and I'm not that fond of Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

In Latvia people mostly visit Egypt, Turkey, Greece because of the cheap prices, warm climate, beaches, historical sites etc.
    In winter many go to Alps to ski. It is a trend here especially for youngsters to celebrate New Year in Paris or London, the economics is developing, young people meet other young people from France or Great Britain here in Riga or writing e-mails, plane tickets are cheap so almost everybody can afford it.
    I like Bavaria region in Germany, have been there a few times. Mountains, great scenery, people. I like to be there. Not too far to the Czech border, good beer in both sides. Prague is too crowded for me nowadays.
    I also like Tallinn. I think the city has the best Old Town in Baltic, great stuff there. Lithuanian big cities and Riga are nice too. As a Latvian I recently rediscovered the Old Town of Riga and to my surprise there was much to see and there were many interesting things and stuff I had forgotten already. As I am not from Riga it was nice and it is still nice too walk the narrow streets of Vecriga (Old Riga) at night. Though more and more tourists are coming here too, in summer you might even not hear Latvian there.

Senior Member Juan Carlos Nadal's Avatar

On my next vacation I am planning to hit Honolulu for a few days. I have not made any plans to go anywhere outside Oahu, but I may eventually pop to one of the other islands if it seems like a good idea. Not looking forward to the insanely long flights (through LAX) though...
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

A lot of Germans like to go south, mainly Spain. A lot of them drink and behave disrespectful towards the locals. I detest these kind of things, so I've always found ways to back off when my ballclub went for a Mallorca drinking tour or such thing. Sports teams going on a vacation together for 3 or 4 days after the end of the season is quite a common thing by the way.

Families either go south (mainly Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece - with Croatia and Bulgaria becoming more and more popular) or travel up north to Scandinavia (something I have been doing for years in my childhood), mainly Sweden.

In the winter, Austria is the place where a lot of people go skiing or snowboarding. Switzerland is nice, but way too expensive.

It remains to conclude that Germans rather prefer the safe 2 weeks at the beach while drinking cocktail over the adventorous trip into not-so-well-known areas. Something I cannot share.

Default Greetings..

First time i went out of the country was last june--went to singapore.This christmas were planning to go to malaysia then shopping to hong kong.

[No ads please, put them in your signature if you wish]
    Last edited by rikhardur; 09-12-2008 at 02:32 PM.

my dream holiday destination is somewhere in Europe..

currently looking forward for a short trip to Barcelona..
    Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. - Josh Billings
    tour packages | travel agencies | hotel booking

Of to Montenegro to earn some money playing guitar with my brother
    "Without Bach, God would be a complete second rate figure. Bach's music is the only argument proving the creation of the Universe cannot be regarded a complete failure" - Emil Cioran

Quote Originally Posted by Led00 View Post
    Sweet! Do you guys have any recordings or something that we could download?
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by Led00 View Post
    Good luck, man! Where are you heading, coastline or...?

Banned

I want to visit California in my next summer vacation with my friends. I hope that we will enjoy there.

06.10-06.21 Sardegna

Italy is the best place to holiday

my bed of course but seriously I'd like to go to somewhere like the Falklands and Pitcairn Island, I really want to be isolated geographically from the hustles of city living.
    you know why I am happy

Post Re :

My best holiday destination is South Africa.Because i like to enjoy my holidays around wild life.....And south Africa is the right place to enjoy wild safari.I have been to south Africa twice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12