Comment

1 - China
      2 - Iran
      3 - Korea
      4 - RP
      #parasabayan
      #GoGilas

Comment

If the Rp makes the top 3 thats good enough for me.
        Atleast they would qualify for the Fiba world.

Comment

Originally posted by raichu08
          If the Rp makes the top 3 thats good enough for me.
          Atleast they would qualify for the Fiba world.
          isn't it that, in order to play FIBA, we should atleast be 2nd place in the Asian championships?? please correct me if i'm wrong.
          ..Impossible is nothing, Just Do It!..
          ..you're bringing the name in front of your jersey, not the one at the back..

Comment

I'm going for RP national team

Team Philippines would be a strong team and you'll never know they would come behind for the victory especially in fiba asia 2009 philippines would be the host and it will be held at araneta coliseum. Go team philippines!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kjohngo
              Team Philippines would be a strong team and you'll never know they would come behind for the victory especially in fiba asia 2009 philippines would be the host and it will be held at araneta coliseum. Go team philippines!!!!!
              you sure about that?? isn't it China will be hosting it??

Comment

Originally posted by joesmoove059
                you sure about that?? isn't it China will be hosting it??
                Only local philippine newspapers are reporting that china will host fiba asia 2009, there is no official word from fiba as of presstime in regards to the venue nor reports from non philippine newspapers and websites.

Comment

isn't it that, in order to play FIBA, we should atleast be 2nd place in the Asian championships?? please correct me if i'm wrong.
                  Eala mentioned in the Article that the top 3 qualifies.

Foreign coach for national five?
                  by Joaquin Henson
                  The PHILIPPINE STAR
                  Friday, August 1, 2008

The search is on for a foreign coach to supervise the long-term development of the Philippine team that will compete in the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championships to determine the zonal qualifier for the 2012 London Olympics.

In relation to the quest, SBP executive director Noli Eala yesterday disclosed plans of inviting affiliate leagues all over the country to nominate players within the age range of 19 to 23 for a tryout camp where 20 standouts will be chosen to form a fresh national pool for the future.

Eala said in the short-term, the PBA will form the national team for next year’s FIBA-Asia Championships in China. The top three finishers in FIBA-Asia will represent the region in the World Championships in Turkey in 2010.

“At the moment, our understanding with the PBA is the pro league will take care of the national team up to 2010,” said Eala. “In the meantime, the SBP will begin forming a young national pool so we’ll always be ready with a team in case there are opportunities for international exposure that come along.”

Eala mentioned that in October, the Philippines has been offered to play in the FIBA-Asia Stankovic Cup in Kuwait and in an invitational tournament in Amsterdam in December.

“Right now, we have no team for Kuwait,” said Eala. “We hope that by December, we’ll be able to send a team to play in Amsterdam where only four or five teams, including one from Russia, are invited. It’s an all-expenses-paid tournament so we’re seriously considering to participate because of the experience our national pool can gain.”

Eala said a management committee will be set up to oversee the formation of the national team similar to the USA Basketball formula.

“We envision gathering about 100 players for the tryout camp,” said Eala. “We’ll invite a panel of coaches to make the first cut to 45 then to 20. We hope to ask Chot Reyes, Norman Black and Tim Cone to help out.”

Eala said the SBP is now drawing up a list of candidates for a foreign coach. Early nominees are Vlade Djurovic of Serbia and Bernardo Murphy of Argentina. Reyes, who coached the national team in the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tokushima last year, is in contact with both Djurovic and Murphy.

A source said Djurovic and Alan Richardson of England are interested in working with the national team as a tandem. Djurovic could form, train and coach the national squad while Richardson could provide the technical know-how as a EuroLeague official and FIBA rules expert.

Djurovic coordinated the national team’s training camp in Belgrade last year while Richardson recently visited Manila to familiarize PBA referees with FIBA rules.

Eala said a Fil-foreign camp is also being planned in the US to flush out more talents for the national team.

“Our model for the developmental team is the Northern Cement team that was successful in the 1980s,” said Eala. “We’re looking to keep the national team intact for a four-year Olympic cycle. That will mean closely coordinating with the PBA so that some players are deliberately left out of the pro draft and the national team could play in the PBA as a guest entry. Maybe, we could ask the PBA to exempt those who forego the draft from going under the rookie salary cap when they finally turn pro.”

Eala said the national team program will only work if the SBP’s affiliates, particularly the PBA, give their all-out support.

“We’re grateful to the PBA for supporting our national team up to 2010,” said Eala. “In fact, it’s possible we could also ask for the PBA’s help in reinforcing our national team for the 2010 Asian Games if our national pool isn’t ready. Our ultimate goal is to qualify for the 2012 Olympics and it will take a concerted effort to make it happen.”

Comment

then that must be a good news for RP right?? we have the capabilities to beat Jordan, Lebanon,Korea, Taipei, etc.--> these teams are most likely to be our competition for the top 3, behind China and Iran<-- but hey! who knows? bilog ang bola(the ball is round) anything can happen.

Comment

China ftw
                      "Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!" - George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadder
                        China ftw

totally agree with you

Comment

1. Chinese Taipei
                          2. China
                          3. Iran
                          4. Korea
                          5. Japan

Chen Hsin-An FTW

Comment

guys ! who do you think will have the upper hand in the FIBa asia 2009?? as much as possible, please answer regardless of your country.

I go for team Philippines of course! but honestly I think that Iran will be the threat, for they have had a lot of experience preparing for the Beijing Games! but never count out China, whose always been the favorite to win Asian championships! But I think this will be their biggest challenge because asian countries have improved a lot, some of which are Iran, Jordan, Philippines, Lebanon, Japan, Korea,Qatar. etc..
                            I know you love your country, but reality is reality.
                            I am sorry to say There is no even 1% possible for RP to win the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by chipped_armor
                              I know you love your country, but reality is reality.
                              I am sorry to say There is no even 1% possible for RP to win the championship.
                              hmmm read it again, he said that he wants the Philippines to win but he said that the Philippines cannot win it this time so he's counting on Iran and China to win this.
                              you know why I am happy

Comment

Iran should be getting better and better but from a standpoint of the last Olympics, there is still a major gap between Iran and China.

China defeated Germany and should have defeated Spain. In fact it was blowing Spain out by 17 points (14 in the fourth quarter) before collapsing. Spain was the silver medalist and the number one ranked team before the tournament started.

Although China's performance could be tempered by the fact that it was playing at home, the idea that any Asian team would hold a 14 point lead on the world's number one in the fourth quarter would be inconceivable before this year.

That shows China have narrowed the gap between itself and Europe. But the loss to Lithuania showed that the gap is still there.

Iran has not been close in any of its games even though it played in the much weaker group (China played both of the finalists US and Spain in its group.)

So based on the Olympics experience, China should still be as dominant in Asia as it ever was.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information