Top 20 monickers of all time in the PBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 20 monickers of all time in the PBA

Do we have a thread similar to this in IBN?
    Just found this at this link - http://hoops.blink.ph/2006/10/30/top...s-of-all-time/

Prologue: Monicker can also be spelled “moniker”(bonus knowledge right there). Only Robert Jaworski’s monickers made the list twice. There are only two tandem’s monickers (read on, you’ll get what I mean) in my list. One monicker was shared by two great players (Thanks be to Mr. Eala). Without further ado, the Top 20 Greatest Monickers list below.

1.The Big J - Robert Jaworski

At 6 feet tall (or short, if you are cynical), he aint that big but this monicker fits him. Derived perhaps from his bigger than life persona. Or more likely, because of his large mitts. As he also cared (still cares) for his fans, it can also apply to Big J’s big heart. Thus, this tops my list. Derivative: The Barreling Big J.

2. The Living Legend - Robert Jaworski

Coined in mid-80s when he took over the Ginebra reign, he was or still is, the unequaled Living Legend of Philippine Basketball. Letdown: After he retired (did he?), can you still say “living”?

3. Skywalker - Samboy Lim

Next to Jaworski, Avelino “Samboy” Lim was the only player that can truly electrify the court and the fans. Why? Because of the aerial voyages (sorry Vergel) he made. Thus he was called “The Skywalker”! The “Samboy” nick alone was uber-cool on its own but putting the tag, SKYWALKER was something huh? Letdown: I believe one NBA player was labeled the “Skywalker” earlier than him. But what the heck, I like it anyway. Letdown # 2: He was injured so much throughout his career, people should have devised a back-up monicker, like perhaps, “LandRover” or “Caned-Walker”

4. The Captain - Alvin Patrimonio

Earlier it was “The Captain” but it was later changed to “Captain Lionheart” by, yes you guessed it, the Dean, Quinito Henson. Probably thinking that Kareem Abdul Jabbar was the fisrt guy to use that, it was changed to have the original factor. Also, I figured, each team has it’s own captain isn’t it? It would be disrespectful to team’s own captain if players called out Alvin Patrimoino, “Captain”. Thus, it was changed to “Captain Lionheart”. Letdown: Sounds like a Disney film.

5. The Dynamite or Dynamite - Shared by Danny Seigle and Chito Loyzaga

Both befit the trade name. But Chito Loyzaga was the original Dynamite. Not because of his explosiveness to the hoop as done by Danny Seigle but because of his timely 3-point bombs. I just don’t know if there is code of conduct in making monickers, but it should be a rule that there should be no repetitive use of monickers in a span of 25 years. Noli Eala relived the use of the Dynamite. He could have easily given Danny the, “C4″. Letdown: Chito “The Dynamite” Loyzaga can’t jump over a Century Tuna can. Plus, the monicker was re-cycled.

6. The Bull - Nelson Asaytono

People jumped on this monicker faster than Nelson can take his customary 30 shots a game. People figured, we better start calling him “The Bull” rather than calling him the other option, the downright funny “Baby Face”. Long before the Red Bull franchise enter the PBA, Asaytono already pitched the energy drink. When a corporation comes calling to let you know that they will use your monicker or image in an ad, your nickname made it. Derivative: Enrico Villanueva’s “The Raging Bull”.

7. The Director - Hector Calma

In his time, Hector Calma was the premier point guard of the PBA. His steady orchestration of San Miguel plays gave him this name. You know you got a monicker winner, when it rhymes with the player’s name and equally, it describes him. Hector “The Director”, Swak!

8. The Tank - Noli Locsin

I didn’t follow Noli Locsin in the amateurs so I don’t know if the “The Tank” originated in his early days. But in his PBA Debut, Sev Sarmenta call him that, The Tank. And boy, he was just that. Letdown: He played quality basketball for only 5 to 7 years. When he played at Pop, coached by I believe Derek Pumaren, he later, well, tanked. Derivative: “The Flying Tank”.

9. The Spark - Mark Caguioa

One of the new-generation players with ultra-sticky monickers, Mark Cagiuoa was baptized by Quinito Henson as “The Spark”. For a while, Mark “The Spark” Caguioa would be the way to introduce Mark. But the emergence of Jayjay Helterbrand as the lighting fast partner paved the way for Mark’s second nice tag, known as the other half of “The Fast and the Furious”. Mark being the ‘Furious” one.

10. The Magic Man - Dondon Ampalayo

Dondon Ampalayo early years was truly magical. Not an original nick, ‘cause mid 80’s, Eeeeeervin ‘Magic’ Johnson was already creating havoc in the NBA. But hell, this is a classic monicker and definitely makes the list.

11. The Destroyer - Rudy Distrito

Need no explanation here but what the heck, I’ll say something anyway. He is truly “The Destroyer”. Even his own career (and later, life), he virtually finished it off in smacking Jeffrey Cariaso. And well, you know your hoop news. Where he is now? He’s out west and in a mess.

12. Tapal King - Philip Cesar

What can I say? Some 25 years later, he is still known as the “Tapal King”. Besides that, that basketball parlance is still used today, as in “Tapal!”. To add, Philip Cezar was able to score a couple of endorsements by being the “Tapal King”. Remember his Vulcaseal commercials? A sign that his monicker is a hit. A.K.A. ‘The Scholar’.

13. The Tower Of Power - Benjie Paras

Funny how you can be called “The Tower of Power” when you’re only 6-4. But hey, it was daring and original. Only Joe Cantada might have thought of this. This surely beats “Bondying”.

14. The Triggerman - Allan Caidic

Another all-original monicker, “The Triggerman” surely applied to Allan Caidic. True story: In an old internet article I read 2 - 3 years back, an English Korean daily wrote, Allan “The Triggerman” Caidic blah blah blah… Yes, there was a monicker insert in his name. Even the Koreans was caught up calling him that.

15. The Flash - Bal David

Quinito might have baptized more monicker than any other commentator here in the Philippines. “The Flash” is another Henson’s baby. Bal “The Flash” David’s legendary hits (against Mobiline, one that made Taulava cry and another against San Miguel, the buzzer beater) truly made his monicker valid. With his flash moves, he was able to do those stuff.

16. The Slasher - Rodney Santos

Given by Quinito too (I think Quinito loves to use “The” so much). “The Slasher” was given to Rodney because of the way he slashes in the middle. But later in his career, waiting for a pass of a double team from Menk, he evolved into a three-point shooter. Note that this alias should be said and shouted in an angry fashion. Otherwise, it won’t be as effective like the way Quinito says this… The Slashhhhheeer!!!! If said in a lame and casual manner, this will not make the list. So practice saying… The Slashhhhheeer!!!! Letdown: Rodney Santos facial feature helped him in landing him the monicker. A little unfair for the other guys, you know.

17. Bruise Brothers - Ricky Relosa and Yoyoy Villamin

Bruise Brothers is only one of two tag team player monickers I got here in this list. Why it made the list? Anytime you forgot a player’s name and you can remember his monicker, that’s gotta be a good monicker. You will forget, Ricky. You will forget, Relosa. But you will not forget his partnership with Yoyoy Villamin, being the “Bruise Brothers”. Letdown: Relosa later had an altercation with hot-tempered Ronnie Thompkins. He smacked Thompkins at his nape prompting Thompkins to run after him. No longer in tandem with Yoyoy, he ran towards his bench. Thus, by this time, he was not the other half of the Bruise Brothers anymore BUT a bruised (ego) brother.

18. Mr. Excitement - Bong Alvarez

This was probably a Sev Sarmeta cooking. By virtue of using “Mr”, it should make the list. How many hot-monickers we have with “Mr.” in it? Just don’t bring up Mr. Gayoso’s, Mr. Adrenaline because that monicker was a little bit coined to emphasize his utter delight to shoot. Don’t bring up Mr. Quality Minutes or Mr. Fourth Quarter Man either, as these were given to too many players. (More on this in my later posts.)

19. The Fast and the Furious - Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand

Why only ranked 19? It’s still not tested by time. Let’s see how this hold up. In the meantime, the two are cashing in on endorsement deals using this monicker. I think they should thank Mico Halili for this. But you see, Jayjay is a whiny kid, his tenure at Ginebra is not built on a rock. Remember how he sat out one season because his contract negotiation with Ginebra soured a bit? Give 2 to 3 seasons and lets see if the tandem stays. If the tandem stays, likely, so too the monicker. Derivative: Ang Mabilis at ang Mabangis. Cool!

20. El Presidente - Ramon Fernandez

For its sheer coolness, Don Ramon’s El Presidente is making this list. I mean, how many spanish monickers out there huh? Nada! Intiendes?

Honorable Mentions

Aerial Voyager- Vergel Meneses

When he won back to back slamdunk championship in 1992-93. He is one of the greatest flyer in PBA History.

The Big Deal - Jun Limpot

I think he got this monicker being the #1 pick out of DLSU in 1993 PBA Draft. I think he was the highest paid rookie in the PBA of all time.

The Flying A - Johhny Abarientos

truly one of the original monickers of all time.

The General - Rommel Adducul

I think it was Mico Halili who tagged Adducul with this monicker when he was still playing in the MBA for Manila Metrostars.

Skyscraper - Marlou Aquino

I think it was Quinito Henson who baptized Marlou with this monicker during in his very first game in the PBA.
    "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

1. the jam - dondon hontiveros, haha, i think it stinks,, ahaha
    2. the slick - penisi, another horrible monicker
    3. kanyon or ang kanyon, junthy valenzuela, mdme ba kanyon sa valensuela?
    4. the bulluet, dindo pumaren- he's haircut is like a bullet,haha
    5. the snatcher - winnie arboleda, he's a snatcher of the ball

Comment

heres mine

el presidente- means, the forefather, the supreme, mon fernandez, deserves that monicker
      magic man, like magic johnson? nope i saw his game, he always hide the ball when slashing to the basket, true to his monicker,dondon ampalayao

living legend- the past and presnt , he's the longest playing years, yet he's one of the best

black superman - billy ray bates, shows how good he is that time by his monicker

the man with a thousand moves, bong ravena, interesting monicker, when you heard it you want to see him play

lastikman, rafi reavis, interesting, his arms are elongated

the director- from the word itself every play, he's the master mind of it

the blonde bomber- haha he's not a blonde anymore, mark cagioua

the rock, his body shows, and the way he plays, 3 years ago, hehe

majorpain - erick menk, he is the major problem of every team back on his dominating days, have a career hig of 44 pts

mr. quality minutes, it speaks for itself, once his on the floor hell gfet a good job rodney santos

mr. clutch, francis arnais? is he jerry west, hell deliver on the clutch

the fortune cookie - atoy co, dot look like his a cookie,

the trigger man, allan caidic- hes a trigger happy, hell ever stop shooting but hell make most of it

the pitbull, topex robinson, he looks like a chihuaa

the atom bomb, good monicker for atoy co

superman, ira clark, doesnt mean that if his last name is clark he can play like superman

the skyscraper, looks like hes 7'0 but only 6'9. heard some scouts says, count the mvp this guys gonna get, for now he doesnt get any

tower of power, benjie paras, the only rookie mvop of the same year

the gentle giant bonnel balingit,, he looks like a gentle"kapre"

dunking duo, baguio and gelig, started this monicker in theyre ust days

the golden boy, he's no oscar dela hoya, more of a the game knb, noy castillo, ala edu manzano

Comment

What about your own monickers, why do you call yourself as such ?

I'll tell you mine later......

Comment

Originally posted by heroescantdie
          el presidente- means, the forefather, the supreme, mon fernandez, deserves that monicker
          magic man, like magic johnson? nope i saw his game, he always hide the ball when slashing to the basket, true to his monicker,dondon ampalayao

living legend- the past and presnt , he's the longest playing years, yet he's one of the best

black superman - billy ray bates, shows how good he is that time by his monicker

the man with a thousand moves, bong ravena, interesting monicker, when you heard it you want to see him play

lastikman, rafi reavis, interesting, his arms are elongated

the director- from the word itself every play, he's the master mind of it

the blonde bomber- haha he's not a blonde anymore, mark cagioua

the rock, his body shows, and the way he plays, 3 years ago, hehe

majorpain - erick menk, he is the major problem of every team back on his dominating days, have a career hig of 44 pts

mr. quality minutes, it speaks for itself, once his on the floor hell gfet a good job rodney santos

mr. clutch, francis arnais? is he jerry west, hell deliver on the clutch

the fortune cookie - atoy co, dot look like his a cookie,

the trigger man, allan caidic- hes a trigger happy, hell ever stop shooting but hell make most of it

the pitbull, topex robinson, he looks like a chihuaa

the atom bomb, good monicker for atoy co

superman, ira clark, doesnt mean that if his last name is clark he can play like superman

the skyscraper, looks like hes 7'0 but only 6'9. heard some scouts says, count the mvp this guys gonna get, for now he doesnt get any

tower of power, benjie paras, the only rookie mvop of the same year

the gentle giant bonnel balingit,, he looks like a gentle"kapre"

dunking duo, baguio and gelig, started this monicker in theyre ust days

the golden boy, he's no oscar dela hoya, more of a the game knb, noy castillo, ala edu manzano
          I think the "Atom Bomb" is Ato Agustin..

Comment

Ricardo Brown - Quick Brown Fox
            Padim Israel and Jerry Codinera - Defense Minister
            Yoyoy Villamin - Bicolano Superman
            Vince Hizon - Prince
            Jeffrey Cariaso _ Jet
            Elmer Reyes - ??

Comment

Originally posted by allan23
              I think the "Atom Bomb" is Ato Agustin..
              oops,sorry typhographical error, tnx man, post that so quick, i didnt otice

Comment

Originally posted by dreamwalker
                What about your own monickers, why do you call yourself as such ?

I'll tell you mine later......
                haha, what about the cold rice exterminator? mine

Comment

Not exactly basketball..

then there came Pacman-Manny pacquiao haha. lol!
                  ..Impossible is nothing, Just Do It!..
                  ..you're bringing the name in front of your jersey, not the one at the back..

Comment

ROBOCOP - Alvin teng,....?????? maybe he plays like a robot or a cop or he looks like robocop

Comment

Ginebra boys

what do you think about the..
                      The Fast, the furious, the fearless and the feisty- MC, JJ, Tubid, Junthy.??
                      for me it's a bit corny having 4 players in a nickname.. the Fast and the Furious might still be ok, but the other two is a bit exagerated, let them have their own monickers, and not have the same idea as of MC and JJ.
                      ..Impossible is nothing, Just Do It!..
                      ..you're bringing the name in front of your jersey, not the one at the back..

Comment

freddie " basurero" abuda
                        lauro "the fox" mumar
                        joel "the aparador" dualan
                        atoy "the fortune cookie" co
                        "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by joesmoove059
                          what do you think about the..
                          The Fast, the furious, the fearless and the feisty- MC, JJ, Tubid, Junthy.??
                          for me it's a bit corny having 4 players in a nickname.. the Fast and the Furious might still be ok, but the other two is a bit exagerated, let them have their own monickers, and not have the same idea as of MC and JJ.
                          I'm quite curious why they didn't add Johnny A in that tandem. The Fast, The Furious, The Fearless, The Feisty and The Flying
                          you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by b3lowzro
                            I'm quite curious why they didn't add Johnny A in that tandem. The Fast, The Furious, The Fearless, The Feisty and The Flying
                            so they're the F_team

some additions:

Cris "Jumbo" Bolado
                            Chris "Stonewall" Jackson
                            Gary "Mr. Pure Energy" David
                            Paul "Kid Lightning" Artadi
                            Olsen "Rah-rah" Racela
                            Cyrus "Skyrus" Baguio
                            Kenneth "Capt. Marbel" Duremdes
                            Jojo "Jolas" Lastimosa
                            Erik "Major Pain" Menk
                            Dennis "The Menace" Espino
                            Jose "Pistolero" Francisco
                            Jimwell "Tora-tora" Torion
                            Willie "Thriller" Miller
                            Victor "Rambo" Sanchez
                            Rudy "H-Bomb" Hatfield
                            Alfredo "The Fireman" Jarencio
                            Mike "Cool Cat" Cortez
                            Jimmy "Mighty Mouse" Alapag
                            Wesley "Wild Wes" Gonzales
                            Ronnie "The Point Laureate" Magsanoc
                            Dindo "The Bullet" Pumaren
                            Marte "Mighty Mite" Saldaña
                            Bong "The Hawk" Hawkins
                            Kerby "The Kid" Raymundo
                            Max "Mad Max" Delantes
                            Peter "Twister" Naron
                            SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

these guys didnt play in the PBA because there was no PBA during their time but here goes:

Caloy "Boom-boom" Badion
                              Caloy "the big difference" loyzaga
                              Lauro "the fox" mumar
                              WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
                              SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information