Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiefer Ravena Got Game

Default Kiefer Ravena Got Game

Dead Lizard.

I think he is the next Big thing

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I think he is the next Big thing
    hold your horses pardner, Rich Alavarez was also consisdered to be the next big thing back in his AHS days; look at him now.
    you know why I am happy

Quote Originally Posted by b3lowzro
    hold your horses pardner, Rich Alavarez was also consisdered to be the next big thing back in his AHS days; look at him now.
    rich alvarez did not play juniors basketball at ADMU. he played at Japan when he was highschool make sure of you details.

Quote Originally Posted by donlyn
    rich alvarez did not play juniors basketball at ADMU. he played at Japan when he was highschool make sure of you details.
    I recall a commentator during a UAAP game that he was also a MVP of the juniors.
    you know why I am happy

I recall a commentator during a UAAP game that he was also a MVP of the juniors.
    he never played for ADMU juniors.

Teams where Rich Alvarez played for:

High School: Kinnick High School - Yokosuka, Japan
    College: Ateneo de Manila Blue Eagles
    PBL: Hapee/Nenaco
    Pioneer Insurance
    Hapee/FASH

Team Philippines - 2003 SEA Games

PBA: Shell Turbo Chargers
    Alaska Aces
    Red Bull Barako
    "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

His father was a former PBA Rookie of Year winner back in 1992, and the leading scorer of the Pasig Blue Pirates in the MBA. I think Kiefer Ravena is destine to follow in his father's footstep, and maybe he will become a better player than his father, when he enter the PBA draft 7-8 years from now.

? didnt alvarez graduated HS in Japan?

Im sorry for the inaccuracy of some information but still we should not hope kagad that a player is the next big thing for a country. He's still young and has a lot to prove, and he just sparked during the finals game between DLSZ and AHS with that we shouldn't make hasty conclusions on his future performance.
    you know why I am happy

maybe that was BJ Manalo..he was really popular during his Highschool days
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

I like the attitude of this kid, and he already have a great work ethics at an early age.

I hope he grow as tall as his dad, who is a legit 6'1", and one of the most underrated PBA Player in the 1990's.

The only 2nd Generation PBA Player that have a great career in the PBA is Renren Ritualo, and I think Kiefer Ravena is destine to be one of the best player in his generation.

Ateneo produced some of the biggest draft busts in the history of the PBA.

1991- Alex Araneta - First Overall Pick in the draft
    2004- Rich Alvarez - First Overall Pick in the Draft

and you can always see the pattern.

The difference between Kiefer Ravena and the two mentioned above is that Ravena is first and foremost a guard. Even if he stays at his current height, he will still be a force to reckon with in the future with the way his skill level is improving.

Alvarez was a PF in the UAAP but was forced to play the SF in the PBA. He was indeed a ROY with Shell, but the trade to Alaska (where he had to play behind Tony dela Cruz) and his ACL tear last year have taken their toll on his game and confidence. He needs to get traded to another team where he can see more minutes, such as Welcoat.

As for Alex Araneta, I have no comment.
    Keep running, big boy.

lets not be so harsh on their basketball program even if a lot of people hates that school so much i still have some respect for them.

correction on the other thread sonny cabatu never played for la salle, he is an alumnus of JRU formerly known as JRC
    you know why I am happy

lets not be so harsh on their basketball program even if a lot of people hates that school so much i still have some respect for them.

correction on the other thread sonny cabatu never played for la salle, he is an alumnus of JRU formerly known as JRC

I respect their school, and they also produce some great talents like Enrico Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, LA Tenorio, and Wesley Gonzales. I am just pointing out that 2 of the biggest draft busts came from Ateneo, and Ravena is destine to become a much better player as he grow older.

Sonny Cabatu Jr. played for the DLSU Green Archers, and his father is the former 1st overall pick in the 1985 PBA Draft ( Coach Leo Austria, a 5'8" Point Guard won the 1985 PBA Rookie Of the Year Award)

I respect their school, and they also produce some great talents like Enrico Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, LA Tenorio, and Wesley Gonzales. I am just pointing out that 2 of the biggest draft busts came from Ateneo, and Ravena is destine to become a much better player as he grow older.

Sonny Cabatu Jr. played for the DLSU Green Archers, and his father is the former 1st overall pick in the 1985 PBA Draft ( Coach Leo Austria, a 5'8" Point Guard won the 1985 PBA Rookie Of the Year Award)
    Sonny Cabatu Jr. is Jun Jun Cabatu

hey we are both wrong sonny cabatu played for the Lyceum pirates http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/...d.php?t=288858
    you know why I am happy

Proving his own worth

By Jasmine W. Payo
    Inquirer
    First Posted 03:49am (Mla time) 10/07/2007

MANILA, Philippines – Minutes before 13-year-old Kiefer Ravena takes the center court, his father Ferdinand "Bong" Ravena speaks to him about the task at hand. And simple as his message may be, Bong’s reminder always gets through. Kiefer knows, after all, that his dad has been through it many times before.

“Every time he has a game, I just tell him to play hard, play defense, the older Ravena shares. “I don’t care about his offense. I always remind him to stop your man.”

The advice is most welcome as Kiefer hopes to build on the legacy of his father who was named Rookie of the Year in the 1992 season of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA). “I try to compare my game to him,” says Kiefer. “Before a big game or before a championship or semis, I find time to watch (my father’s) games (on tape).”

And the cute, pixie-faced teen has been on the right track, making heads turn as the youngest, crafty guard of the Ateneo Blue Eaglets. This year, in fact, Kiefer is the only player to make it to the Blue Eaglets roster as a freshman.

“He’s very driven,” notes Bong. “He’s a winner for me. At his age, he already has big responsibilities. The team relies on him. Even if he fails, we know that it will only make him tougher. He’s already used to big games. That’s what he likes, actually.”

And this second-generation talent sending shockwaves in high school hoops knows only too well that he owes his early success partly to his dad. “I’m used to it; I know people will always compare us,” admits Kiefer. “You carry that burden, there’s pressure. People always want you to follow your dad’s footsteps.”

But Bong points out in jest that he’s actually at the raw end every time he shares his son’s glory. “Ako na nga ang na-insecure (I’m the one who gets insecure),” he says with a laugh. “Mas magaling daw yung anak ko sa akin (They say my son is better than me). But I’m proud of him.”

Still, he quips, “Mas mabilis lang ako sa kanya (I’m just quicker than him).”

The high expectations are not suprising. The athletic gene runs pure and strong in Kiefer’s blood: His mom Mozzy is a former collegiate volleyball player as well. So there’s really no need to push the 5-foot-7-and-growing freshman.

“He’s an all-basketball kid,” says Bong. “His main strength is his heart. Even if you’re talented, even if you have the skills, pero mahina naman ang loob mo (but you’re faint-hearted), you won’t be able to do it. That’s why it’s easy to teach Kiefer. He knows he can do it, and I also know he can.”

The 6-foot-3 former forward recalls that his eldest son has shown facility for basketball early on. “Even at four years old, he was already joining the Milo Best (basketball camp). Growing up, he saw me playing. He loved the game right away. There are no other sports that he likes,” shares Bong.

And Kiefer’s development on court has been well monitored.

“We’re trying to improve his speed and defense, his outside shot,” says Bong. “He doesn’t necessarily have to make the game-winning shot. Even in ordinary games, if I see him make a (defensive) stop, I’m proud of him.”

The paternal pride has meant déjà vu moments for Bong. “I have moves that I see in him and I really get surprised—like the pivot, the up-and-under,” says the 38-year-old dad. “I was still playing when he was 8 or 9 (years old), so maybe he saw them. And in our house, I have old tapes. He watches them when he’s not doing anything. He’s really into basketball.”
    Kiefer, in fact, works on some extra hoop homework even after a painful loss.

“I try to help him out. I tell him it means you need practice. Learn from it, don’t make the same mistakes,” notes Bong. “He gets sad, but he’ll make sure to practice his weakness. He does extra the next day.”

The younger Ravena explains his reason for all the double work. “I want to prove my worth,” says Kiefer. “Some people may think that I only made it to the team because of my father.”

Bong openly resents such undeserved put downs. “Nakakaawa ang bata (It’s a pity for the kid),” he says. “Whatever he does, there’s a chance that he’ll always get compared. So I tell him to just do the right thing, play hard. You can never please everyone. Be yourself.”

Kiefer also points out that blood ties can only get an athlete so far. “I don’t think it’s an advantage,” he says. “Even if you’re the son of the president of the Philippines, I think you won’t make it if you’re not that good inside the court.” But he concedes that there are benefits to having his father as personal mentor, especially since Bong now works as assistant coach for Talk ’N Text in the PBA and on the University of the East men’s team in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP).

“Sometimes he signals something during the game,” says Kiefer. “Then I get post-game comments from him—what I did right, what I did wrong—so I won’t do it again.”

Aside from Kiefer, Bong also mentors 10-year-old son Thirdy, who’s also immersed in competitive basketball. His daughter Dani, 7, meanwhile has been trying badminton.

“I’m really a stage father,” Bong admits, grinning. “During the game we have codes. After the game, we have a briefing. I used to tell Kiefer what went wrong. But I learned that it’s also not a good approach to point out the negative right away. So I reversed it. I give him all the positives first, all praises, all the good things he did. Then I tell him what he needs to work on.”

Like any parent, Bong has his occasional concerns on his son’s potentially bright basketball future. “Worry ko lang baka magsawa siya (I’m worried that he might get fed up). He started at an early age. Now he’s already playing with the big guys. I’m also concerned about him getting injuries. But I’m still here, I can still guide him.”

And going by Kiefer’s clutch-shooting ways and focused on-court instinct, the Ravenas may indeed prove that basketball success can be sweeter the second time around.

“I know it will be hard,” says Kiefer. “But my dad says never walk away from a challenge. I just have to find a way to turn those challenges around.”
    Dead Lizard.

Default I've already played with kiefer.

i've already played with kiefer back in 2004 or 05.. in fact i've been his teammate in a tournament called "KIDZHOOPS" I don't know if you're familiar with it.. anyway, he plays really well very talented player.. I don't believe that he'll be just like BJ manalo or any crap players who's only good for a short peroid of time.. kiefer is a very promising player and will be a future Philippine nat'l team player! let's just hope that he'll reach atleast 6ft.. then he will be a big blast for our nat'l team.
    Last edited by joesmoove059; 07-28-2008 at 02:57 AM.
    ..Impossible is nothing, Just Do It!..
    ..you're bringing the name in front of your jersey, not the one at the back..

Quote Originally Posted by joesmoove059
    i've already played with kiefer back in 2004 or 05.. in fact i've been his teammate in a tournament called "KIDZHOOPS" I don't know if you're familiar with it.. anyway, he plays really well very talented player.. I don't believe that he'll be just like BJ manalo or any crap players who's only good for a short peroid of time.. kiefer is a very promising player and will be a future Philippine nat'l team player! let's just hope that he'll reach atleast 6ft.. then he will be a big blast for our nat'l team.

BJ didn't go to the pros after he sustained an injury.I think that's a career ending one.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast