Half the Olympic teams are from Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinobball
    You know what I mean, they wouldn't be there if China was not hosting.
    I didn't, that's why I asked the question Now I understand.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy
      I totally agree. They should expand the Olympic tournament by including four teams.
      I doubt that will happen because of scheduling issues--with 12 teams you can play all six games in one building on the same day, with 16 teams you will need another venue.

Personally I like the contrast the between the World Championship which has a lot of teams, and the Olympics which is for the elite.

Personally, I would like to see the Asia Zone split into two regions: Middle East/Central Asia and East Asia/Oceania. FIBA should eliminate Australia and New Zealand's automatic bid and force them to merge with East Asia.
      That seems rather unfair--you are going to take the dominant Asian team in China and put them together with two solid teams in Australia and New Zealand, and then you are going to form a new zone with teams that have never advanced past a group stage at world level? What would be the point?

Combining Asia with Oceania wouldn't be a bad idea though.
      Originally posted by Fedfan
      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
      Originally posted by GuTO
      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

I think the europe teams earned their spots, but its not fair tha 6 teams are from Europe.

Puerto Rico to qualified played versus 4 consecutive european teams + Cameroon, thats how fiba wants other team from other place in the world in the Olympics?
        Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
        16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
        Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
        8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

I doubt that will happen because of scheduling issues--with 12 teams you can play all six games in one building on the same day, with 16 teams you will need another venue.

Personally I like the contrast the between the World Championship which has a lot of teams, and the Olympics which is for the elite.
          You're right. Logistically, it would be difficult to have 16 participants playing in a three week span, unless you started the competition before the opening ceremonies (doesn't Olympic soccer do that?) It was just a thought. It's a fine line between ensuring the world is perportionally represented and gathering the best of the best.

That seems rather unfair--you are going to take the dominant Asian team in China and put them together with two solid teams in Australia and New Zealand, and then you are going to form a new zone with teams that have never advanced past a group stage at world level? What would be the point?

Combining Asia with Oceania wouldn't be a bad idea though.
          Why should these two countries year in and year out be given an automatic birth? Make them earn it. Iran, Qatar, Jordan, Lebanon and Saudi Arabia may not be world beaters, but they're not garbage sides and they're as good if not better than most East Asian countries (remember, it was Lebanon and Iran that played in the Asian Champ. finals). In my estimation they deserve their own seperate zone.
          Last edited by Federoy; 07-20-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRSURF
            I think the europe teams earned their spots, but its not fair tha 6 teams are from Europe.

Puerto Rico to qualified played versus 4 consecutive european teams + Cameroon, thats how fiba wants other team from other place in the world in the Olympics?
            Do you realise what you're saying? Let me make it clear for you. You're saying that since European teams are so hard to beat, you (or I don't know who) should be given a spot in the Olympics, which would be taken from a better team (one you couldn't beat in the qualifying tournament).

Sorry mate, but you had your chance and it was up to you. What should other countries, that have never been represented in the Olympics basketball, be saying? The spot was there for grabs. I liked the Puerto Rican team, but they made their own luck. Too bad.
            Start your day with a smile and get over it

Comment

You're right. Logistically, it would be difficult to have 16 participants playing in a three week span
              Yeah, 12 teams seems to be the standard for most team sports in the Olympics. Soccer does have 16 and starts before the opening ceremonies, but that's sort of a different animal because the teams require more rest between games and it's usually spread out around the country in multiple venues.

Why should these two countries year in and year out be given an automatic birth?
              Like I said, combining Oceania with Asia would be an okay idea, I just don't see why you would split up Asia. New Zealand is better than any of the Middle East/Central Asian teams, why would you make it harder for New Zealand to qualify and easier for those teams to qualify?

Lebanon pulled off some good results in 2006 but they got hammered in 2002 and this year, Qatar also got killed in 2006, Iran will be hard-pressed to win a game this year. That certainly isn't a group of teams that deserves a guaranteed spot in the Olympics. Have any of them ever beaten a full-strength China?
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
                Have any of them ever beaten a full-strength China?
                The only Asian team that has ever beaten a full-strength China since 1997 is S. Korea, and they did it 4times. 1997 Asian Championship, 1997 East Asian Games, 2001 East Asian Games, 2002 Asian Games. Since Yao went to NBA, China "A" NT never lost to any Asian team (including 2006 Asian Games when Yao was absent).
                aim low, score high

Comment

i think that if it would be fair, then we should have 4 none european teams in olympics

Comment

Let´s face it, if there weren´t 6 Euro teams in the Olympics, a lot of Europeans would be upset because of the prevailing attitude that Europeans play the best basketball. Since half of the teams are Euro, nobody is complaining.

Fortunately, most of the European teams fought for a spot, which makes the unequal geographic distribution easier to understand. Unfortunately, there are always good, strong, deserving teams left out.
                    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by Ilya
                      Do you realise what you're saying? Let me make it clear for you. You're saying that since European teams are so hard to beat, you (or I don't know who) should be given a spot in the Olympics, which would be taken from a better team (one you couldn't beat in the qualifying tournament).

Sorry mate, but you had your chance and it was up to you. What should other countries, that have never been represented in the Olympics basketball, be saying? The spot was there for grabs. I liked the Puerto Rican team, but they made their own luck. Too bad.
                      I am not saying that european are hard to beat, I am saying that the calendar was in favor of the European, Puerto Rico played versus 4 european teams arrow to try to qualyfied and that is to difficult in a nockout stage.

In America always hace 3 berth to the Olympics, this year only 2. I think Greece was a team over the other NT in this preolympics and should have a automatic position in the Olympics.

If the Olympicsis created to the best basketball teams in the world, what's up with Angola and Iran?

Comment

The 2000 Olympics had 6 European teams and only 2 from the Americas.

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
                          The 2000 Olympics had 6 European teams and only 2 from the Americas.
                          And the 2004? and the other Olympics?

Comment

Can't complain really, PR and Brazil had the same chance as anyone else to qualify.
                            Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown
                              Can't complain really, PR and Brazil had the same chance as anyone else to qualify.
                              Thats true, but that is not my issue.

Comment

Originally posted by PRSURF
                                Thats true, but that is not my issue.
                                So what is your point exactly? The European teams that were already qualified (Russia and Lithuania) had to beat other European teams to qualify and the ones participating in the pre-Olympic tournament had to beat again other European teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information