Half the Olympic teams are from Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Khalid80
    Do u think that the Cape Verde NT was a 1 time hit and what they did in the last African Championships can't be repeated?
    its hard to tell since they never had that strong a bball history. but i think it can be repeated, though i dont expect them to be a constant force with their small population

Comment

• Originally posted by Gyroscope
      I like the Olympics as they are - just a few of the best teams. More teams can get opportunities to play on a high level at the WC.

Seriously, what's the point of having 16-24 teams and see dullsville games and teams like (just some random examples) Senegal, Panama, Venezuela getting beaten up?

I say, the Olympic spots should be according to fiba ranking. If it were so, here's the 12 teams we would watch:

1. USA
      2. Argentina
      3. Spain
      4. Serbia
      5. Lithuania
      6. Greece
      7. Italy
      8. France
      9. Germany
      10. Australia
      11. China
      12. Puerto Rico

3 American, 7 European, 1 Asian, 1 Oceanic

If you make who gets in tournaments by FIBA ranking you should actually have a useful FIBA ranking, Croatia who's in the knockout stage would miss the tournament and Serbia (who's been terrible lately) would get in.
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by fasoulaki
        Lets come back to this discussion when we see how many european and non european teams will qualify for the quarter final of the olympic basketball tournament!.
        Europe 67% (4 of 6)
        Americas 100% (2 of 2)
        Oceania 100% (1 of 1)
        Asia 50% (1 of 2)
        Africa 0% (0 of 1)

Originally posted by cadeceus
        We shall see. I bet 100% of the teams from the Americas will be in the quarter-finals and semi-finals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gyroscope
          I like the Olympics as they are - just a few of the best teams. More teams can get opportunities to play on a high level at the WC.

Seriously, what's the point of having 16-24 teams and see dullsville games and teams like (just some random examples) Senegal, Panama, Venezuela getting beaten up?

I say, the Olympic spots should be according to fiba ranking. If it were so, here's the 12 teams we would watch:

1. USA
          2. Argentina
          3. Spain
          4. Serbia
          5. Lithuania
          6. Greece
          7. Italy
          8. France
          9. Germany
          10. Australia
          11. China
          12. Puerto Rico

3 American, 7 European, 1 Asian, 1 Oceanic
          FIBA rankings have nothing to do with who is good enough in a certain year to be iin the Olympics. The example about Serbia and Croatia is a very good one, and I'll give you another one for this year: Italy? Slovenia and Brazil shouldn't be in the Olympics and Italy should?

By the way, this is the Olympics and there should definitely be at least one African team. Using your way of giving spots they don't stand a chance.
          Start your day with a smile and get over it

Comment

• Good idea but 1 flaw which is how will a team ever get fiba ranking points if it cant play in the major tournaments where the most points are given? So we would always see the same teams!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lietuvis
              Good idea but 1 flaw which is how will a team ever get fiba ranking points if it cant play in the major tournaments where the most points are given? So we would always see the same teams!
              But that's why there's the WC.
              "If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"

Comment

• Made a topic about this more or less http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=7764

Comment

• Was Europe given 2 spots or 3? Did the WC title grant an automatic berth in the olympics for Spain or for Europe? I'm asking this to know if a fourth team also would have got a direct spot had Spain not been among the first 3.

Brasil, Puerto Rico and New Zealand have realistic chances to beat any Euro team any day, and theoretically they all could have been in China now. But they are not, and there's nothing unfair I guess.
                  5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by sariss
                    Was Europe given 2 spots or 3? Did the WC title grant an automatic berth in the olympics for Spain or for Europe? I'm asking this to know if a fourth team also would have got a direct spot had Spain not been among the first 3.

Brasil, Puerto Rico and New Zealand have realistic chances to beat any Euro team any day, and theoretically they all could have been in China now. But they are not, and there's nothing unfair I guess.
                    Host country China
                    2006 FIBA World Champion Spain
                    African Champion Angola
                    Americas Champion & Runner up USA & Argentina
                    Asian Champion Iran
                    European Champion & Runner up Russia & Lithuania
                    Oceanian Champion Australia
                    FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament 3

Actually Europe and Americas takes the same amount of places...
                    And there are other 4 teams from Europe who managed to qualify!
                    Last edited by re5pectas; 08-22-2008, 10:00 PM.
                    2nd in IBN EuroBasket 2011 Prediction!
                    2nd in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction!
                    MVP in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction! # Correct W-L: re5pectas (59)
                    All-Tornament Team in IBN EuroBasket 2015 Prediction! Perfect score: re5pectas (7)
                    All-Tornament Team in IBN World Cup 2019 Prediction! Perfect score: re5pectas (5)
                    2nd in IBN Olympic 2020 Predicion! Perfect score: re5pectas (2) Within 8: re5pectas (8) # Correct W-L: re5pectas (23)

Comment

• i'[d like to see african championship finalists, not just the winner

Comment

• Originally posted by jaja
                        i'[d like to see african championship finalists, not just the winner
                        And I'd like to see me and my friends there too, but who cares?
                        Relax, Angola didn't win a game in the Olympics. Who needs worse than that? When you deserve it, you'll get it. Go chill-out man...

Comment

• Well, Europe is main contributor to the world regarding ANY relevant subject. So there should be any surprise to see them predominating Olympics..

Comment

• Originally posted by fasoulaki
                            Lets come back to this discussion when we see how many european and non european teams will qualify for the quarter final of the olympic basketball tournament!
                            Two European teams missed the quarter finals. They couldn't have done much worse.

The teams from the Americas couldn't have done much better. Both qualified for the semi-final. I think this shows that the Americas deserved more Olympic spots and Europe fewer.

Comment

• Originally posted by cadeceus
                              Two European teams missed the quarter finals. They couldn't have done much worse.

The teams from the Americas couldn't have done much better. Both qualified for the semi-final. I think this shows that the Americas deserved more Olympic spots and Europe fewer.
                              yeah,yeah. Sure... Keep dreaming.

Comment

• I don't see any reason for the system to change for the most part. The Europeans weren't dominant enough to warrant more (especially when the next two tournaments are hosted by European teams). Besides I agree every region should at least get one, as bad as they are I like seeing Angola every tournament. The only thing I would change is Oceania, beating one team in a best of three should not warrant an automatic birth.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information