Because of back, Redick won't try out for Team USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because of back, Redick won't try out for Team USA

J.J. Redick said Tuesday that the back injury he suffered more than a month ago will keep him from participating in the tryouts for Team USA later this month.

----------------------------------

ORLANDO -- Orlando Magic rookie J.J. Redick said Tuesday that the back injury he suffered more than a month ago will keep him from participating in the tryouts for Team USA later this month.

The former Duke star isn't playing this week in the Orlando summer league as he continues to rehabilitate the herniated disc in his lower back.

Redick was one of two college players -- Adam Morrison is the other -- picked to try out for Team USA's entry into the World Championships. He was a long shot to make the roster with Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade expected to play most of the minutes at shooting guard. The NCAA's all-time leader in 3-pointers made (457), Redick was hoping to provide Team USA some much-needed shooting from the perimeter.

Redick said he has yet to inform Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, Team USA's head coach, of his decision to pull out of the workouts. Redick still plans to attend the training camp starting July 18 in Las Vegas, but he said sitting out is the smart thing to do.

"I'm going out there, but I just can't play in it right now,'' Redick said. "It's just a matter of how much stronger I can get my back now. The MRI I had [last Thursday] showed that the herniation is getting smaller. I'll have another MRI to check the progress, but I'm not feeling any pain.''

I can't say this is bad news. I didn't want him on the team anyway!!!!!!

I like Redick but he sounds like he has too many health issues to have a productive NBA career.
    http://basketballfuture.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
    X

Debug Information