Team Canada dumps Sam Dalembert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by planaria
    Sad news for the canadians, but I dont really like to see this "recruited foreigners" in the NTs.

Im OK If there is some kind of connection between the players and the country (like Francisco Elson and Netherlands) or the guy is playing in that country for years, but it´s hard to understand cases like Dalembert (maybe some canadian could explain me better the connection) and Chris Kaman.

BTW, It´s preety hard to a foreigner be naturalized brazilian, here. It´s very ironic, since nowdays we´re known as a country that usually send immigrators to entire world.
    I asked the same question concerning Dalembert and i received the following reply from Ajaxballer:

"His family moved to Canada when he was 13 and i think he lived here until he was about 17. His parents and siblings still live here so he wanted to become a Canadian citizen."

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80
      I asked the same question concerning Dalembert and i received the following reply from Ajaxballer:

"His family moved to Canada when he was 13 and i think he lived here until he was about 17. His parents and siblings still live here so he wanted to become a Canadian citizen."
      Now, that´s a legitm connection.

Comment

Looks like It was his great grandparents.

If you think like that, almost every american (and not only US people) could play for a european team.

I could play for Italia NT, for example.

Still, I dont have any connection with the country were my great grandparents borned.
        If your families origin does not bother you at all, then it's another story. . .

EDIT: You believe that living in some particular country means more than having real (blood) connection with that country ??? I'd say it's kinda strange attitude :S
        Girdėjau gandą - ateina lietūs

Comment

Originally posted by Z.A.L.I.A.
          If your families origin does not bother you at all, then it's another story. . .

EDIT: You believe that living in some particular country means more than having real (blood) connection with that country ??? I'd say it's kinda strange attitude :S
          It could be a bit hard for an european understand. But in America (either North, Central or South) our families came for begin a new nation. And we use to love our countries. Almost nobody care for the country where the great grandparent born, unless you´re trying to get a passport for immigration reasons.

Almost every country here had to even face a war against his former metropole.

So, yes is MUCH more common people here care more with the place that he and his parents born than with the place that his great great grandparents lived.

Again, it´d be completly different if Kaman has showed some kind of real connection with Germany (like spend most of his vacation there, service in the army, etc).

Comment

Again, it´d be completly different if Kaman has showed some kind of real connection with Germany (like spend most of his vacation there, service in the army, etc).
            he said buildings are the same, so the connection exists.. what more do you want?
            "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80

Interesting, because I used to cover his sister who played ball (great shot blocker/rebounder) down in South Florida. However, I have no clue what the family situation is.

Comment

Originally posted by Czarkazem13
                Interesting, because I used to cover his sister who played ball (great shot blocker/rebounder) down in South Florida. However, I have no clue what the family situation is.
                Yeah I was actually surprised when I heard that Dalembert was going to represent the Canadian NT (I hadn't heard that he was Canadian before). I knew that he was born in Haiti and lived there for a while but other than that I don't know much about him other than he's a good NBA center with good potential.

Comment

My guess is that Dalembert had a case of "NBA star syndrome" and Rautins and the Canadian team as a whole got tired of his act.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat
                    My guess is that Dalembert had a case of "NBA star syndrome" and Rautins and the Canadian team as a whole got tired of his act.
                    I think that's what most would initially jump to that conclusion, but after reading this interview, I tend to believe Dalembert:

“It was crazy. Just crazy. The thing about it was there was no warning. It was a lot of stuff that had nothing to do with basketball. It started with my high school coach being with me. He was there with me last summer and nothing was said. There was no problem and all of the sudden I was being made the scapegoat. It was, Sam doesn’t do this. Sam doesn’t do that. The media would wait for me after personal workouts with my coach. I worked hard even after practice. You know me Mike. I hoped they would come with something better than that.”

“Sam,” I asked, “didn’t you expedite your Visa to play for the team? Did they extend an offer to you to be part of the team or was this something you wanted to do?”

“The initial move was on my own will. You know I do the Basketball Without Borders in the summer. What really upset me is that Leo Rautins talked about Basketball Without Borders like it sucked. I sacrificed that time to be on this team and I didn’t want to become a distraction. If I would have gone, I would have missed like 5 days of training camp. I respected that he wanted me to report to the team because he’s the coach. I asked him again and he told me no because I was the leader of the team. He said we only have one chance to win this summer and I had a chance to be a part of it. I made some phone calls and came to the conclusion that he had a point. I told him that I was going to make it on time. Suddenly, it became that I wanted to do all these other things except play for the team. I told him he was full of crap. Of course I wanted to do some basketball goodwill with kids in India. That was no vacation. It was about the kids for me, but I reported on time.”

“He had me doing a lot of stuff (public relations). I was cool with it. I was part of the team, so no problem.”

“The reason why I brought my high school coach with me was so he could work out with me. I could never be late under his (Leo’s) clock, so I made sure I wasn’t. Then the issue became the team meal. There was nothing said that everybody had to be at the team meal. Sometime before the game, I chose this time to sleep instead of eating. He didn’t even show up at some team meals. Everything I did was called into question. He never told me I had to be there until later on. My high school coach was always at the team meal. He knows not to bother me because I have a routine. I was never late for anything. Coaches were. My high school coach made sure I was up and ready for anything and everything that I had to be present for. They kept saying “Sammy is late for this. Sammy is late for that.” “I was like dude, I’m never late. You don’t show up for team meal some of the time because you are with your wife. If things were mandatory, I should have been given the respect to at least known that. I wish it would have been said to me. As far as the team meal, I don’t eat pork. Most of the stuff over in Germany, was pork. I didn’t want to be different from anyone else, just in that regard. I wasn’t a prima donna. There’s NBA players who would have asked for this and that, but I made sure I paid for everything extra. I didn’t want to be uncomfortable. People were coming up to see me. I wanted to be in shape so I did what I had to do.”

read more about it here...
                    Stuart
                    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                    http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Do u guys know if Sam does not eat pork for personal reasons or is it because of religious reasons?

Comment

I have to say, even though this is a little late, I kinda have to side with Dalembert here. I mean, he was going to do charity work, Basketball Without Borders, and Rautins said no . National Team play is a privelidge, but it should be a choice you make personally and the decision of what to do with your summer. I mean, these players sacrifice a lot to play during the summer instead of doing what like Nash is doing or doing overseas charity. I do agree that I think Rautins isnt a good coach. I think the Andy Rautins father-son thing isnt popular either since Andy isnt really a good player. I hope the Canadian get a new coach and I hope all the best for them in the future without Rautins. I mean, he was pretty good at Syracuse, but sucked in the 92 Olympic qualifying until the last 2 games.

I also doubt that the entire team voted him off. But its tough to tell. I mean, he was asked to get off the bus and from what I read, no one stood up and said no or stood up to defend Dalembert. But you read that him and Joel Anthony were cool, so one asks, why didnt he step up? A lot of questions, very little info. I think Rautins needs to speak up himself, or someone on the team to clarify this, because right now, Canadian basketball is a mess.
                        Last edited by rikhardur; 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM. Reason: Posts merged: short time between consecutive posts
                        My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                        1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                        1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                        1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                        1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                        1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                        1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                        1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Comment

Working...