Fadi El-Khatib: Lebanon has no chance against Greece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fadi El-Khatib: Lebanon has no chance against Greece

Surprised that Lebanese captain would say such a thing, but perhaps it's to motivate the players?

El Khatib: ‘Against Greece we really don’t have slightest possibility of winning’
    ATHENS – Fadi El Khatib will this week attempt to lead Lebanon into the Beijing Games. And thankfully, there is no political uncertainty back home, thus allowing the players to focus on the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

El Khatib gave this interview 24 hours before the start of the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Fadi, is life in Lebanon getting back to normal?
    El Khatib: “Now we have a president, a couple of days ago a government was formed and there are no problems anymore. For two or three months, life has been back to normal; people are going to their jobs without feeling any fear, they are having fun or going to the beach with nothing to worry about. The fact that we now have a government has been the actual solution. Everybody in Lebanon sees now the future with an optimistic view.”

Did the unsettled situation before cause trouble for the team’s preparations?
    El Khatib: In previous years, every time we traveled to participate in any international competition, we knew that we had left big problems behind us at home. In 2006, during Japan’s FIBA World Championship, there was a war taking place in our country. It has always been so; we were traveling and things back home weren’t good. But, that’s not the case anymore. Now, we are calm, because we know that our families and friends are secure. It’s the first time we don’t feel any kind of pressure or insecurity.

What is the situation with your team right now?
    El Khatib: In Canada, where we played some friendly games, we unfortunately lost one of our most important players, Joseph Vogel. His absence costs us a lot as he is 2.10m. After him, the tallest player is only 2.05. As a result, we will be facing a significant draw back under the basket, but we are still willing to give our best.

What do you think about your opening game against Greece?
    El Khatib: We know that against the Greek National Team we really don’t have the slightest possibility of winning. Greece is an excellent team and furthermore will be competing and enjoying the support of the home crowd. They are determined to qualify for the Olympic Games and they wouldn’t allow themselves lose at the beginning. Nevertheless, we will try as hard as it gets and see what happens.

Do you believe that you can beat Brazil?
    El Khatib: If we had Vogel with us, I would say that we would have a 50% to beat Brazil. Without him, though, things have become a lot harder. However, we tend to play well against good teams and I hope that the same will happen against Brazi.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

well having the home crowd plus defeating the team USA would make the knees of Fadi shake against the Greeks but still we can never be so sure, he might have some surprise up in his sleeve
    you know why I am happy

Comment

Maybe I am superstitious but I really do not like this kind of statements,

I fear that Greece will end up like Tream USA.
      You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Why on earth would he say it like that. In these kinds of times you cannot be so blunt with your words.
        "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

I somehow also think..that it is some kind of giving the other teams extra-confidence and then try to take advantage of that...but the thing is that after vogel's injury..all the media shifted to these kinds of talks..that now it is only a phase to prepare the team for the next asian championship and thus the World Championship again...it's bad..but they just don't wan to make the people's hope high

Comment

At least he is being realistic

Comment

double score at half time 54-27
              41st place - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game!!

Comment

Wow...
                "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

Final score 119-62.
                  Start your day with a smile and get over it

Comment

amazing performance by Greece.the form continues after the recent friendly games..
                    1st in IBN 2018-2019
                    2nd in IBN 2016-2017
                    2nd in IBN 2015-2016
                    1st in IBN 2014-2015
                    2nd in IBN 2013-2014
                    2nd in IBN 2012-2013
                    2nd in IBN 2010-2011
                    3nd in IBN 2009-2010
                    1st in IBN 2008-2009
                    2nd in IBN 2007-2008

If you love player and team comparisons, please join me in my channels
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIT...JLx5BerQtam9_A
                    https://www.facebook.com/sport.rankings.10
                    @RankingsSport

Comment

Originally posted by crazy green
                      amazing performance by Greece.the form continues after the recent friendly games..
                      Yes but It was a team without center!

Comment

Come on now, we can't use this as an actual sample of the team's performance. I actually felt embarrassed for the guys.

Comment

noone sayed anything about the game.just about the form..i remind to some youngers.. that Greece had bad appearences in the past against weaker opponents...
                          1st in IBN 2018-2019
                          2nd in IBN 2016-2017
                          2nd in IBN 2015-2016
                          1st in IBN 2014-2015
                          2nd in IBN 2013-2014
                          2nd in IBN 2012-2013
                          2nd in IBN 2010-2011
                          3nd in IBN 2009-2010
                          1st in IBN 2008-2009
                          2nd in IBN 2007-2008

If you love player and team comparisons, please join me in my channels
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIT...JLx5BerQtam9_A
                          https://www.facebook.com/sport.rankings.10
                          @RankingsSport

Comment

Originally posted by Ilya
                            Come on now, we can't use this as an actual sample of the team's performance. I actually felt embarrassed for the guys.
                            me too it was a pitty.

But, I think they wanted to give a clear message!

Originally posted by crazy green
                            noone sayed anything about the game.just about the form..i remind to some youngers.. that Greece had bad appearences in the past against weaker opponents...
                            Yes I remember that. As soon as there was some margin the Greeks started to be less focused.
                            Just remember 2001 in Turkey when we end up counting the free throws of Papaloukas allthough we
                            were leading with 20 points at half time against Germany!

Comment

I don't know though, I still need to see the team on Wednesday to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information