This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rwanda teams qualify for Basketball Championships

Rwanda’s men and women teams have all qualified to this year’s Fiba Africa Nations Championships which will be held in Libya and Madagascar respectively.

Rwanda men’s team booked a place to the continental show piece after an impressive 81-67 win over rivals Kenya in the ongoing FIBA- Africa Zone V both men and women qualifiers yesterday at Amahoro indoor stadium.

Romania-based Robert Thompson led on Rwanda’s scoreboard as he recorded the team’s highest 20 points while Mathew Miller added 19 points to earn the country’s second qualification to the continental show piece which will be held in Tripoli from August 5-25.

However, the game was not an easy-go affair for Rwanda as they needed extra work to overcome the Kenyans who had put up a spirited fight as a win would have earned Kenya her maiden qualification to the African Championship.

The second quarter ended with both sides tied on 36 points but the inclusion of Alvin Rutayisire and Kajeguhakwa Bunene added a fighting spirit to the game to win both the third and fourth quarters.

In other matches, Burundi men’s team recorded their first win of the tournament as they overcame whipping boys Uganda 86-80.

In the women category, Rwanda defied odds to defeat Kenya by a difference of four points after an entertaining 69-65 riot. Rwanda women have booked their first ticket to the African Championship which will be held in Madagascar in September.

Uganda also overcame Burundi’s pressure to win by one point after uneasy 61-60.

Meanwhile, Rwanda men’s team will wind up the regional qualifiers with a thrilling match that will pit them against defending champions Egypt battling for the top tournament’s accolade at 6pm.

In the women’s section, Rwanda will play against Burundi as Kenya confronts Uganda in the other game.

Egypt and Rwanda are the top two men’s sides in this tournament and will travel to Libya in August while Rwanda women’s team has won the sole ticket for the same tournament in Madagascar in September.

In 2007, Rwanda earned participation to the African Championship after finishing second in the zonal championship which were also held in Kigali.

Africa Zone V Qualifiers

Yesterday
    Women
    Rwanda 69-65 Kenya
    Uganda 61-60 Burundi

Men
    Burundi 86-80 Uganda
    Rwanda 81-67 Kenya

Today
    Women
    Kenya v Uganda 2pm
    Rwanda v Burundi 4pm

Men
    Rwanda v Egypt 6pm

Men Ranking
    Rwanda- 6 pts
    Egypt- 6 pts
    Kenya- 5 pts
    Burundi - 5 pts
    Uganda - 3 pts
    Women Ranking
    Rwanda- 10 pts
    Uganda- 8 pts
    Kenya- 6 pts
    Burundi- 4 pts

Comment

Thanks for the report, Zlim! I'm really happy that both Rwandan squads made the tournament. That's just great.

It's also nice to see Egypt going to the AC. Hopefully they can improve a little and regain some of their respect.
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Africa nations Championship Qualifiers

Yesterday
        Women
        Rwanda 103-35 Burundi
        Kenya 67-45 Uganda

Men
        Rwanda 41-71 Egypt

Men Ranking
        Egypt- 8 pts
        Rwanda- 6 pts
        Kenya- 5 pts
        Burundi - 5 pts
        Uganda - 3 pts

Women Ranking
        Rwanda- 12 pts
        Kenya- 8 pts
        Uganda- 8 pts
        Burundi- 4 pts

The FIBA-Africa Zone V basketball qualifiers for the continental nations’ events came to conclusion last evening with Rwanda’s men and ladies’ teams qualifying.

The ladies’ team recorded an impressive 103-35 win over Burundi in their last game to collect maximum points while the men’s team’ winning streak was halted at the final hurdle when they lost 41-71 to tournament’s favorites Egypt.

USA based Honore Ayebare led scored for Rwanda’s ladies with 36 points to keep the team’s unbeaten record interact.

The game was an easy affair for Rwandans as they faced very little challenge from Burundian Fiona Sifa who threaten to spoil the host’s party.

Mireille Karangwa added 22 points while Letiticia Mahoro scored 12 points for Rwanda.

Sifa who was Burundi’s best player failed to add on her 10 points after she was shown the exit two minutes to the end for accumulated fouls.

In the other match played, Kenya finished in the ladies’ category after defeating Uganda 67-45.

Rwanda’s Ayebare was voted the Most Valuable Player of the tournament in the category.

Egypt retains Zone V title

Defending champions Egypt defeated Rwanda 71-41 to win the Fiba Men’s Africa Nations Championship qualifiers title.

Boa Waer top scored 16 points for the 2007 champions to ensure his country’s return to the Africa nations Championship which will be held in Libya from August 5-25 in April.

Said Haytham also scored 16 points for Egypt whereas Tamer Mohammed added 8 points respectively.

Rwanda’s best scorer was Robert Thompson who netted 12 points while Alvin Rutayisire scored 11 and Hamza Ruhezamihigo got four points to his name.

Rwanda finished second in the men’s category and will accompany Egypt to this year’s Afro-basket championship.

Thompson was the tournament’s top rebounder and best free thrower in the men’s category.

Also in the men’s category, Egypt’s Haytham bagged the Most Valuable Player of the tournament; best two points’ shooter; best three points’ shooter and top scorer honours in the tournament respectively.

Rwanda’s men and women teams all qualified to this year’s Fiba Africa Nations Championships which will be held in Libya and Madagascar respectively.

Rwanda men’s team booked a place to the continental show piece after an impressive 81-67 win over rivals Kenya in the ongoing FIBA- Africa Zone V both men and women qualifiers on Saturday.

Rwanda women have booked their first ticket to the African Championship which will be held in Madagascar in September.

Egypt and Rwanda were the top two men’s sides in this tournament and will travel to Libya in August while Rwanda women’s team has won the sole ticket for the same tournament in Madagascar in September.

In 2007, Rwanda earned participation to the African Championship after finishing second to Egypt in the zonal championship which were also held in Kigali.

Comment

Here is the Roster of the Rwandan National team that participated in the conclude zonal qualifers for the African Championships:

Mathieu Miller (England)
          Mike Buzangu (APR)
          Bertrand Muhire (193-F-84)
          Karim Nkusi (195-F-83)
          Gaylord Ndugu (194-F-85)
          Aboubakar Barame (181-G-84)
          Kami Kabange (APR)
          Rob Thomson (208-C-82, college: Fairfield)
          Bunene Gedeka Valery Kajeguhakwa (191-G-82)
          Hamza Ruhezamihigo (191-G-85)
          Amandin Rutayisire
          Serge Kabangu (APR)
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Zone V Fiba-Africa qualifying championship

Individual Awards
            Women
            Top Rebounder - Auma Purity - Kenya
            Best Free throw shooter - Ayebare Honour - Rwanda
            Best 2 points shooter - Karangwa Mireille - Rwanda
            Best 3 points shooter - Ayebare Honore - Rwanda
            Top Scorer - Ayebare Honore - Rwanda
            MVP - Ayebare Honore - Rwanda
            Men
            Top Rebounder - Rob Thomson - Rwanda
            Best Free throw shooter - Rob Thomson - Rwanda
            Best 2 points shooter - Saidi Haytham - Egypt
            Best 3 points shooter - Saidi Haytham - Egypt
            Top Scorer - Saidi Haytham - Egypt
            MVP – Saidi Haytham – Egypt

Hamza Ruhezamihigo—is the captain and the star man on Rwanda’s men basketball team and so he was supposed to be at the centre of Rwanda’s game at the just concluded Zone V Fiba-Africa qualifying championship in Kigali.

The Canadian-based point-guard cum shooting-guard won the Most Valuable Player accolade at the last championship held in Kigali two years ago and going into this year’s event, so much was expected from him, not only by the home crowd but also the opposition—he was the man to watch out for.

Host nation Rwanda counted on Ruhezamihigo to help the national team make an impact at the Championship and indeed he helped the team but he was the not star of the team, he failed to reproduce his form of 2007 and he would be the first to admit to that.

This is not critic of him but he was overshadowed by the performances of two of his fellow professionals on the team Robert Thompson and Mathieu Miller, particularly the former.

Ruhezamihigo, who plays for Concordia in Canada where he studies and lives became a crowd favourite during the 2007 Africa Championship qualifiers in Kigali when he played a pivotal role in helping Rwanda qualify for her first ever Afro-basket competition.

For his impressive performances, he was voted as the tournament’s Most Valuable Player (MVP), an award he overwhelmingly deserved, but also put him at the ‘risk’ of being at the vanguard of the public interest.

But it was Thompson, who stole the show as far the most partisan home crowd was concerned yet Ruhezamihingo’s cause wasn’t helped at all when the coach Kavedzija Vacescav kept taking him off whenever he sensed things weren’t going well for the crowd’s favourite son.

Having him is a big boost to team as his potential is there for all to see, no one can questioned his talent and skill, and also his experience adds plenty to the any team he plays for but this Championship must have left him a little disappointed him own game.

Romanian-based Thompson was the only Rwandan (men) to win any of the individual awards at stake when scooped the Top Rebounder and Best Free throw shooter’s accolades.

Contrary to the 2007 event when Ruhezamihigo swept aside everything in-front of him from opponents, whom he left chasing his shadow to all individual awards, this time round, nothing seemed to go his way and whenever the going got tough, he went missing!

Ayebare is born
            Two years ago, Ruhezamihigo was an unknown item to the Rwandan basketball community but his imperative performances made him probably the most talked about basketball player in Rwanda’s recent history, two year’s later, another unknown became famous in a matter of weeks.

She can hardly speak a proper word in Kinyarwanda but US-based Honore Ayebare led Rwanda’s ladies’ team to the Zone V title and consequently became the new Ruhezamihigo of the women team.

The pocket-sized but vastly talented ace treated the home crowd to real basketball, which won her admiration on the terraces and beyond, no wonder at the end of the week-long tournament, she took home four of six individual awards up for grabs.

She was voted the Most Valuable Players (MVP), Top Scorer, Best 3 points shooter as well as the Best Free throw shooter.

Another Rwandan based in Europe Mireille Karangwa, won the Best 2 points shooter while Kenya’s Purity Auma was Top Rebounder.

The week-long championship produced some scintillating basketball especially by the eventual champions Egypt, first and second runners-up Rwanda and Kenya (men) and in the women, it was the top two sides (Rwanda and Kenya) that gave the crowd something to cheer about.

Egypt continue dominance
            It was the same story as two years ago when Rwanda and Egypt dominated the headlines and for the second consecutive championship, Egypt (men) proved quite too strong for their opponents but unlike in 2007, Rwanda’s women turned tables on their adversaries in a pretty devastating form.

Two years ago, hosts Rwanda faced Egypt in the men’s final and the better team obviously won but both qualified for the Fiba-Africa Nations Cup in Angola yet that year, Rwanda’s women team could only manage third-place finish behind eventual champions Kenya and the beaten finalists Burundi.

Fast forward and two years later, Rwanda are champions while the Burundi could only finish last behind defending champs Kenya and Uganda, who took third place.

Unfortunately, this year’s event had a number of team s withdrawing citing different reasons but the most outstanding one being financial.

Countries like Tanzania, Ethiopia and Sudan were supposed to participate but pulled out leaving only Egypt, Rwanda, Kenya, Burundi and Uganda to battle it out for the men’s title while only Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda and Burundi contested the women’s crown.

As hosts, Rwanda desperately needed to repeat their 2007 heroics when they finished second to Egypt in the qualifiers thereby earning a ticket to the Afro-basket competition staged in Angola.

The defending champions Egypt were in a class of their own as they easily won all their games; they beat Kenya 101-39, Uganda 95-53, Burundi 95-50 and Rwanda 71-41.

No wonder they point guard Saidi Haytham did a Ruhezamihigo of 2007 by scooping all in front of him—he went home with MVP, Top Scorer, Best 2 points shooter and Best 3 points shooter’s awards.

But unlike two years ago when only the men’s team qualified for the continental championship, Rwanda will have both her men and women teams rubbing shoulders against the best on the African continent—and like Vacescav said after his teams qualified, the biggest challenge lies ahead.

Comment

Who is Saidi Haytham from Egypt? Of course I've never heard of him, but I couldn't find a thing on the internet about him. Anybody know?

It's great to see that Robert Thompson had such a successful tournament. I'm really jealous of Thompson. He seems like a very interesting fellow. I'm also glad that "Ruheza" was able to play well again.
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                Who is Saidi Haytham from Egypt? Of course I've never heard of him, but I couldn't find a thing on the internet about him. Anybody know?

It's great to see that Robert Thompson had such a successful tournament. I'm really jealous of Thompson. He seems like a very interesting fellow. I'm also glad that "Ruheza" was able to play well again.
                Yo Matt! Saidi Haytham is actually Haytham El Said (I don't why they wrote his last name wrong and mentioned it before his first name . It's not like we're in China ).

Haytham is one of the prominent guards (Height: 190 cm or 6'4, DOB: 1975) in the Egyptian League and he is currently playing with Al Zamalek (Currently in 1st place in the Egyptian League).

I remember that he's a good shooter and has a high 3pt accuracy (His team has played before in summer tournaments in Lebanon and that's how come I know him). The thing is he's not that young anymore but probably has reached the peak of his career.

(By the way nice avatar. Did u draw it this morning, or is that the work of one of ur students )

Comment

SEN – Ndong: ‘It would be sad for my career if we didn’t win FIBA Africa Championship’

MALAGA (FIBA Africa Championship) - There is almost always a big smile draped across the face of Senegal’s Boniface Ndong.

The 31-year-old is, in general, a happy person.

Then there is the success that he continues to enjoy as a 2.12m center with Unicaja Malaga. Ndong is averaging almost nine points and five rebounds per game in the ACB.

The Most Valuable Player of the 2005 FIBA Africa Championship, Ndong has played at the highest level in the game, in the NBA with the Los Angeles Clippers and in the Euroleague with Malaga.

He could end up playing for Senegal again, but organizational issues continue to dog the federation and that may prevent them from getting their big man on board for this summer when the country goes for gold at the AfroBasket in Libya.

He gave this interview to Jeff Taylor for FIBA.com.

FIBA: Boniface, let’s wind the clock back and say congratulations once again on the MVP honour back in 2005 at the FIBA Africa Championship when Senegal finished runner-up to Angola.

Boniface Ndong: Thank you very much. First of all, it was an honour me playing for my team, for my country, and to be voted MVP was very special. It was something that hadn’t happened to a Senegalese player since 1997. It was good. We did great, qualified for the (2006 FIBA) World Championship.

FIBA: What is it about Senegal and its production line of quality basketball players?

Boniface Ndong: (Laughing) First of all, we’re all tall. But basketball had a lot of tradition in Senegal and a lot of kids got into basketball because there are players they look up to who went to the United States and guys who play over here in Europe. So basketball has a lot of tradition that goes back about 30 years and that’s why young people are involved, besides being tall.

FIBA: Can we expect to see you play for Senegal again, maybe at this year’s FIBA Africa Championship in Libya (August 5-15), or is your national team career over?

Boniface Ndong: No, it’s not over. I’ve been speaking to people and spoke to the coach recently and the general manager when we played against Olympiacos here and we still talked about coming back because I want to give it a last shot, winning the African Championship. It would be sad for my career if we didn’t win it. So I hope that first of all, our federation and our government will first do something to get us a coach. I’ve been talking a lot to other players and we’re all ready to come but we always have the same problem, organizational problem. But if these things are met, I’ll be there.

FIBA: Is that what kept you from playing at the FIBA World Championship in 2006, organizational problems?

Boniface Ndong: Yes it was organizational problems. They (Senegal Basketball Federation) can never have a set plan, but we (players) have to plan for our summer. They always change their plans at the last minute. I need to have set plans as I have other things to do. I have workouts to do, take care of my career, take care of my family. There are a lot of things to do. I need a plan before so I can set the timing. I can’t plan a vacation with my family and then change it at the last minute. This is not acceptable if you want something. They never change. I’m still hoping they change because I really want to go and I know that other players want to go. I think even our (former) coach is willing to negotiate with the federation and not take all the money that he is owed, so we will see.

FIBA: Thanks Boniface. We hope everything works out with Senegal and get to see you in Libya and good luck with the rest of the season.

Boniface Ndong: Thank you very much.
                  Last edited by mvblair; 03-13-2009, 08:55 AM.
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

So, Ndong might not play because he wouldn't want to cancel a vacation with his family? That's a lame excuse, in my opinion. Maybe there is something else to these "organizational problems," like travel compensation or something, but not being able to schedule a workout or vacation doesn't seem like a good excuse to me.

Hopefully Ndong will play for the NT. I think he will. He's a fantastic player and he'll bring so much to the tournament. Senegal could have a great chance!

Comment

Its a lame excuse to cancel vacations with your family ? How much do you have of an inside what went on the last time the NT grouped together ?
                      Stop judging Boniface by reading one interview...thanks.

I from Wisconsin!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                        So, Ndong might not play because he wouldn't want to cancel a vacation with his family? That's a lame excuse, in my opinion. Maybe there is something else to these "organizational problems," like travel compensation or something, but not being able to schedule a workout or vacation doesn't seem like a good excuse to me.
                        Matt, IMO you've got it wrong. As I understood Boniface just tried to give an example how poor works senegalese bball federation (in organization issue). They plans one thing, then calls it off and etc etc. and that ruins players' summer plans. F.e. you plan to go on vacations with your family for two weeks in June, then you plan to come to training camp with NT, which was planned and players were called, but suddenly everything changes and federation decides to make that camp earlier due some financial or other reasons and tells to players in last minutes (just like Boniface stated). Then what to do? It's just very unproffesionall. proffesional bball players plans everything very particularly, cause they has to prepare for the next season

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          Matt, IMO you've got it wrong. As I understood Boniface just tried to give an example how poor works senegalese bball federation (in organization issue). They plans one thing, then calls it off and etc etc. and that ruins players' summer plans. F.e. you plan to go on vacations with your family for two weeks in June, then you plan to come to training camp with NT, which was planned and players were called, but suddenly everything changes and federation decides to make that camp earlier due some financial or other reasons and tells to players in last minutes (just like Boniface stated). Then what to do? It's just very unproffesionall. proffesional bball players plans everything very particularly, cause they has to prepare for the next season
                          If that's what Ndong is complaining about, maybe that's OK. But I think a player needs to cancel his vacation even if the NT changes their plans.

Comment

Would you cancel your vacations if this happens over and over again? If the federation/ministry of sports tells you one thing and does another (repeatedly)? If the premium is not being paid although being promised ? If visa problems not being handled on time and a part of players cant join the team for certain tournaments? If The head coach (Who is close to the team) being sacked over internal fights for power within the fedferation?
                            All I can say is, that Boniface demands a little bit of respect after holding his country's flag high during all the years...
                            I guess Matt, you would cancel your vacations if a ABA-like organisation would treat you like crap, right?

I from Wisconsin!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Mozambique will be in Afrobasket:

Zone 6 Nations Cup : Mozambique won the Cup and book the zonal Ticket for the continental show

The men team of Mozambique won last week end the Zone 6 Nations Cup and qualified for the 25th Africa Nations Championship after finishing first at the zone 6 qualifiers played in Maputo, Mozambique.

In the last game played on Saturday, Mozambique beat South Africa 81 – 67 and despite losing the first game 68 – 70.

Mozambique took the first place with 7 points (3 victories and 1 defeat) followed by South Africa with 7 points also (3 victories and 1 defeat) while Zimbabwe ended at the bottom place (third) with 4 points (4 defeats).

Mozambique will represent the zone 6 alongside Angola (the defending champion) at the 25th edition of Africa Nations Championship for men to be held from 05th to 15th August 2009 in Libya.
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

NGR – National Team: Sam Vincent, Others Want Basketball Job

Nine top world class basketball coaches, including Nigeria’s former basketball coach, Sam Vincent have applied to handle Nigeria's senior men's team that will be taking part in the 25th edition of African Nations Championship for men to be held in Libya in August.

Tijani Umar, Chairman of the Nigeria Basketaball Task Force, said at a media briefing in Abuja on Tuesday 15th April 2009 that the other coaches that also applied for the job are Dennis Felton, former coach of University of Georgia, Dean Murray, Assistant Coach of LG Sakers of Korea and Myke Scholl of Loyola Marymount University.

Others are Alex Nwora head coach of Ene Community College, Buffalo; Ayinla Johnson a Nigerian based in the UK; Alain Weisz, a former Head Coach of the French national team to the European Championship in 2003, Fabio Fossati, Italy coach of the year 2003 and 2005; and a first class college coach Tod Bozeman.

Umar, who was accompanied to the media briefing by other members of the Task Force including Mustapha Suleiman, Yusuf Tagwai and Francis Gbiri, explained that the decision to go for a world class coach was informed by the country's resolve to win the championship in Libya, stressing that only quality players will make the country's team to the African basketball showcase.

"We assure you that only quality players will make the Nigerian team to Libya. This brings us to the all-important subject of who handles these quality players to give us the desired results.

"We are not settling for anything less than the championship this time and for us to achieve this, the coach must also be a quality, top class coach who has experienced competition at comparable levels with the African Nations Cup", Umar added.

In preparing for the tournament, Umar stated that few Nigerian players playing their trade abroad have been identified and will be invited to camp in Washington DC from June 26 -30.

Some of the players he named as Josh Akognon of California State, Fullerton; Ben Uzo of Tulsa; Kingsley Oguchi of South Carolina State; Abdullahi Kuso of Gonzaga; Anthony Skinn of George Mason (France) and Emmanuel Negudu of Tennessee State in the United States.

He added that the players will be led by tested and trusted Ime Udoka of San Antonio Spurs in the NBA, who has also agreed to talk to other Nigerian players in the NBA to answer the national call.

"Ime is assisting to talk to other NBA players like Ike Diogu of Portland Trail Blazers, to answer the national call...We intend to invite between 25-30 players to the first camp including 3 or 5 home-based players," he stated.
                                Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information