Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Afrobasket 2009

Default Afrobasket 2009

Next year's Afrobasket will take place in Lybia, instead of Nigeria as it was planned. Nigeria had problems providing halls and accommodation.

http://libya2009.fiba.com/
    Last edited by rikhardur; 08-04-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Default Sad

It´s so sad to watch a contry like Nigeria with this kind of problems.
    Nigeria has everything to became a numero 1 in Africa but defenitely must change their dirigents.
    The Nigeria players didn't deserve this.

I'm surprised that Lybia was selected to host the Afrobasket next year. I think their government is trying to show everyone that they are capable of hosting such an event after most of the sanctions on the country were removed.
    The level of basketball there though is quite weak compared to the other North African countries (Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, and Morocco have much better leagues and national teams than Lybia).
    I'm also sad about Nigeria. They have some great players playing abroad in the NCAA and they played quite well in the Last World Championships especially when they intimidated Germany in the second round and took them to 3OTs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80
    I'm surprised that Lybia was selected to host the Afrobasket next year. I think their government is trying to show everyone that they are capable of hosting such an event after most of the sanctions on the country were removed.
    The level of basketball there though is quite weak compared to the other North African countries (Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, and Morocco have much better leagues and national teams than Lybia).
    I'm also sad about Nigeria. They have some great players playing abroad in the NCAA and they played quite well in the Last World Championships especially when they intimidated Germany in the second round and took them to 3OTs!!
    Sorry but who took Germany to 3OTs was Angola and not Nigeria

Quote Originally Posted by zlim
    That's right. But the game with Nigeria was pretty tight, Germany won by 1.
    Artificial Nature

If Ismael Ahmad (202-F-77) plays with the egyptian team,i think they can make one of the three spots for the WC.
    i know that the egyptian basketball is not as it was,but i still think they have many talent players especially tarek el ghanam(212-C-78) who'd i think is the best arabic center,hes one of the rare centers in the arabic region that have a big height and size with potential.

Algeria now is in their bad days,they had a 10 years of shinning but now they are considered as normal teams.i remember the great games btw Sagesse vs Boufarik,it was always close.

Tunisia,their fans are really great but their performance are quite weak,and same for Morroco.

Senegal and nigeria are known in their professional players in US and Europe but im confused why their NT is being weak lately.
    Last edited by daniab; 07-03-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

Quote Originally Posted by daniab
    If Ismael Ahmad (202-F-77) plays with the egyptian team,i think they can make one of the three spots for the WC.
    i know that the egyptian basketball is not as it was,but i still think they have many talent players especially tarek el ghanam(212-C-78) who'd i think is the best arabic center,hes one of the rare centers in the arabic region that have a big height and size with potential.

Algeria now is in their bad days,they had a 10 years of shinning but now they are considered as normal teams.i remember the great games btw Sagesse vs Boufarik,it was always close.

Tunisia,their fans are really great but their performance are quite weak,and same for Morroco.

Senegal and nigeria are known in their professional players in US and Europe but im confused why their NT is being weak lately.
    Ismael Ahmad use to play with Egipt in Africa but to me the problem of the Egipt is their game that is not enough agressive.
    Anyway I agree with you Egipt like others African nations (Angola, Senegal, Nigeria, Cameron, RCA, Algeria and Cape Verde) can make one of three spots for the WC.
    The big surprise for me will be Cape Verde, I believe that they will became one of strongest teams of Africa in near future.

My bad.
    I don't know why I thought Nigeria was the team that did it.
    Anyways it was obvious in the World Championships that the level of basketball in Africa is still very good and I think that it is better than the level in Asia (till now).

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80
    Anyways it was obvious in the World Championships that the level of basketball in Africa is still very good and I think that it is better than the level in Asia (till now).
    It´s tough to compare levels. Obviously, there are some amazing teams in both continents. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that many African countries are so poorly organized. Angola, Tunisia, and Egypt are the exceptions. China, Iran, and Korea all have great organizations around them, but Nigeria, Cape Verde, and the other countries that could really compete just can´t do anything.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Default Asia/Africa

I think that the level of basket in Asia is better...Asia has better teams and play better basketeball...Africa only has better players and this is not enough to built a strong team.
    Africa I mean country's like Senegal, Nigeria, Mali, Ivory Coast, Cameron, RCA and Congo must look at Angola as a exemple in how to work and built a tem, because most of these contrys have players with potencial to built a team to fight for the first 8 places in WC.

I think that the level of basket in Asia is better...Asia has better teams and play better basketeball...Africa only has better players and this is not enough to built a strong team.
    Africa I mean country's like Senegal, Nigeria, Mali, Ivory Coast, Cameron, RCA and Congo must look at Angola as a exemple in how to work and built a tem, because most of these contrys have players with potencial to built a team to fight for the first 8 places in WC.
    Yo Zlim!
    I am considering the level of basketball in Africa as better mainly because of Angola and Nigeria since both teams made it past the first round of the last World Championships. In Asia only China made it to the second round even though our team (Lebanon) almost made it but we lost our last game in the group to Nigeria and thus they qualified instead of us.
    The African players are physically better (more fit) than the Asian players but in Asia I think we have better shooters and maybe a little bit better team play.

Africa only has better players and this is not enough to built a strong team.
    I think it happens because African players usually develop individually through the NCAA (some of them aren't even born in Africa), then you get the better talent but you get the less chemistry, teamwork and even commiment to the NT. Angola is the clear exception, because they have the better pro league and can develop their players themselves.

Banned

i know you guys have heard a lot about nigeria basketball as well as angola and not much from ghana, but in a few years time ok. we starting a movment here and presently we have four players in the usa. it all happened in this year.

Hoops Basketball Club
    Last edited by capecoasthoops; 08-03-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by capecoasthoops
    i know you guys have heard a lot about nigeria basketball as well as angola and not much from ghana, but in a few years time ok. we starting a movment here and presently we have four players in the usa. it all happened in this year.
    I just hope all good African players get to play for their NTs. That would be a big boost.

Quote Originally Posted by alermac
    I just hope all good African players get to play for their NTs. That would be a big boost.
    As long as the political and economic situation is currently as it is in most of the African nations, I don't think that the good African players whom are in Europe and the States will go back and that is sad.
    I also think that this is the case just for basketball cuz concerning soccer most of the African players abroad do play for their national teams.

anybody really familiar with basketball players playing in africa. our IBL team could really use a good list and scouting of talent from africa. anyone know the top players?
    Join http://www.OwnMyTeam.com 1. Sign Up 2. We purchase a real basketball franchise 3. You manage and vote on all basketball operations decisions 4. Chat in the forums and guide the team to victory
    Every basketball fan has dreamt about owning and operating their own Pro Basketball Team. Most realize that they could do a better job than most of the current General Managers out there. Unfortunately, the average sports fan doesn't have pockets deep enough to handle their own team.

Guys. I need your help. Who knows Point Guard from Tunisia Jaffar Zyed? I need info about him. Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneUkraine
    Guys. I need your help. Who knows Point Guard from Tunisia Jaffar Zyed? I need info about him. Thanks a lot
    It was tough finding info about him but this is what I could get:

Zied Jaafar (Point Guard, 190 cm, 80 kgs)
    Date of Birth: 11/04/1983
    His previous team: US Monastir (One of the good division one teams in Tunisia. They finished in 6th place last season out of 12 teams)
    His new team: Polit Lviv (Super League in Ukraine) (U know more about this team than me since ur from Ukraine )
    Here is the link on youtube that I found for him. He looks like a descent player and a good shooter. I hope he does well in the Ukranian Superleague.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kpC7tUz8bao

Hoping that I was able to help u out

Mozambique gathered 15 players for the Afrobasket qualification to take place on 27th this month:

Gerson Novela, André Velasco (point guards), Fernando Manjate, Luís Barros, Sílvio Letela (shooting guards), Jerónimo Bispo, David Canivete Jr., Siade Cossa, Samir Adam (small forwards), Octávio Magoliço, Stélio Nuaila (power forwards), Custódio Muchate, Sete Muianga, Ivan Macome e Edson Mondlane (centres).
    Artificial Nature

Kenya's roster for the qualies:

PGs:
    Wycliff Ochieng (Coop)
    Dan Okwiri (KPA)
    Tiberious Menya (Strathmore)
    Paul Onyango (KCB)

SGs:
    Tobias Onyango (KCB)
    Ligere Griffin (Pirates)
    Kevin Samora (KCB)