Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of the 1992 Dream Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ivkovic–Former Yugoslavia Might Have Beat Dream Team

Serbia coach Dusan Ivkovic hasn't been blowing his own trumpet, or exaggerating the success of the young national squad he led this year in a successful EuroBasket 2009 qualifying campaign.

With just a single defeat in Group A of Division A, though, there's no dispute that Ivkovic's Blues rekindled the enthusiasm of the fans in the "Land of Basketball".

The last medal achieved by the country came in 2002 at the FIBA World Championship.

It wasn't so long ago that the team that won that gold was known as Yugoslavia.

Ivkovic, with the year drawing to a close, spoke this week to the Sportska Centrala news agency.

Instead of focusing on the here and now, Ivkovic turned the clock back and remembered some of the former Yugoslavia's past successes when he was in first stint as coach. At the time, the Blues were the kings of Europe.

During that period, Yugoslavia won three European titles and one World Championship, in Argentina in 1990.

Had the breakup of the country not occurred, he says, even the Dream Team might have fallen victim to his Blues at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

"That was our goal, to reach gold in Barcelona," Ivkovic said, referring to a squad that included Serbian greats Vlade Divac, Zoran Savic and Zarko Paspalj, Croatian legends Drazen Petrovic and Toni Kukoc and Slovenian Jure Zdovc.

"And we were on the right path. Our team was outstanding.

"With those guys, and all others (Velimir Perasovic, Zoran Cutura, Zeljko Obradovic, Arijan Komazec, Radisav Curcic and Zoran Jovanovic, who won the trophy in Argentina), I think we were ready for the biggest clash, with the Americans at the Olympics.

"For years we'd been preparing. We'd organized so-called "November tours" during which our selections faced the best college teams from the United States.

"And then, in one moment, we've overcome our goal of development and adapted to their (USA's) style. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I'm quite sure we would have defeated that "Dream Team" squad that wasn't, in my opinion, the best American team."

A lot of people have wondered why a European great like Ivkovic has never coached in the NBA.

While working as head coach of CSKA Moscow, in fact, Ivkovic says he got a call from an NBA team but refused to leave. Even nowadays, he's happy with his decision.

"I don't think I made a mistake when I said "thanks, but no thanks," he said.

"Indeed, we'd been close to a deal, and only details that I insisted on kept us apart. Meanwhile, I signed a contract in Russia, and when the NBA club agreed on my terms, it was already too late. I didn't want to break my new contract for one in the USA but for me - shaking hands is more than a contract.

"That's the man I am. I've stayed at a club I've signed for.

"There is a different style of work in the NBA, but I still think I would be successful there. Of course, I don't know how players would react to my style, but I'm sure that I wouldn't be comfortable with their attitude that ‘only play-offs are important'. That's not my way of understanding basketball."

Even now, Ivkovic has offers to lead club sides but shaking hands with authorities of the Serbian Basketball Association is more important than a new, lucrative contract.

"I've came back to my homeland to help, and I've accepted that job with a promise that I'll be there until the end (2012 Olympics in London)," Ivkovic said.

"A lot of work is in front of us and I've declined some offers from clubs as I want to stay with our national team," Ivkovic said to Sportska Centrala.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Ivkovic sounds a little arrogant to me. "I could've beaten the Dream Team." "I could've won in the NBA."

Yes, if Yugoslavia had remained a country, they could've given the US problems. I still think the Dream Team would've won, but the game certainly would not have been a 20+ blow-out.
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

That was a greatest team I've ever seen anymore! No doubt. Even they played lightly, they toyed all opponents! Even USA 2008 gold medalist couldn't beat them. I've a statements about Ivkovic that Yugos might have beat DT, DT played relax, look a like jogging on the road and Yugos did aggressive, concetrate their offensive & defensive when until a scored Yugos take the lead at 15-14 before Yugos tired early, and then DT did wake-up call and then demolished by 32points. They have a shooters, great power centers, ballhandlers, balanced equal versatile and all-around players. That was a perfect level!

Comment

ya they played as a team thats wat made them so good

Comment

Originally posted by Srle View Post
            I just hate statement of many American coaches and personnel that USA Team from 1992 inspire whole world to play basketball . As far I know Yugoslavia was winning everything at that time ,before break up of that country,especially in the 80's. And there wasnt that many of people who were inspired by USA basketball players. They were inspired mostly by basketball players in Yugoslavia.
            I disagree. The difference between the US and Yugoslavia was that Yugoslavia may have had the best players in Europe, the US had the best in the world. When little kids hear stories about the best, then see the high flying US, it makes people want to play even more, so they can be like Jordan, Magic, Bird, ect. Now I am not saying Yugoslavia wasnt inpiring, but when you get the best in that generation (Laettner was best in college) for the first time ever, its like toys on Christmas morning. Players like Pau Gasol, Manu Ginobili, ect. saw this Dream Team as young kids and were inspired to play the game. The NBA was the best in the world, no doubt. Yugoslavia could be beaten but they were just like every other team. They may have inspired people in Yugoslavia, but I doubt their reach was any farther than that.
            My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
            1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
            1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
            1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
            1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
            1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
            1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
            1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Also, about World All-Stars vs. Dream Team. Puerto Rican coach at the time Raymond Dalmau was asked what would happen if the Dream Team was put up against a World Team. He said it wouldnt be close. Some of the players that were included in the discussion were Detlef Schrempf, Toni Kukoc, Sarunas Marciulionis, Arvydas Sabonis, Drazen Petrovic. I'll try and post the article later, I just have to find it.
              My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
              1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
              1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
              1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
              1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
              1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
              1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
              1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

it was the reason that i started watching basketball

Comment

Fantastic team, the best team ever!!!
                  "The Redeem Team" also played well (almost every game above 20 points difference, the Final game against Spain was the exception)...
                  Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

Originally posted by usausa View Post
                    I disagree. The difference between the US and Yugoslavia was that Yugoslavia may have had the best players in Europe, the US had the best in the world. When little kids hear stories about the best, then see the high flying US, it makes people want to play even more, so they can be like Jordan, Magic, Bird, ect. Now I am not saying Yugoslavia wasnt inpiring, but when you get the best in that generation (Laettner was best in college) for the first time ever, its like toys on Christmas morning. Players like Pau Gasol, Manu Ginobili, ect. saw this Dream Team as young kids and were inspired to play the game. The NBA was the best in the world, no doubt. Yugoslavia could be beaten but they were just like every other team. They may have inspired people in Yugoslavia, but I doubt their reach was any farther than that.

I agree when the Dream Team plays even their opponents ask for autographs and picture-taking... I mean those were their opponents

sigpic

Comment

This team is really freakin' great, this was the greatest team in Basketball history ever formed. You have MJ, Larry, Bird, plus Mr. Robinson, then Ewing, the Stockton and Malone tandam, and Coach Chuck Daly. Give me 5!

Comment

It was far and away the greatest team ever. In 1992 if there was a combined team from Russia, Croatia, Lithuania, Serbia and any other nation they still wouldn't get to within 20 of the DT.

I think for a lot of people their memories have faded over the years...come on, just look at the line-up...

PG - Johnson, Stockton
                        SG - Jordan, Drexler
                        SF - Pippen, Bird, Mullin
                        PF - Malone, Barkley, Laettner
                        C - Ewing, Robinson

Any international squad would probably be chosen from this pool of players:

PG - Petrović, Đorđević, Galis, Bazarevitch, Zdovc, Giannakis
                        SG - Danilović, Marčiulionis, Schmidt, Herreros, Kurtinaitis, Gaze
                        SF - Kukoč, Tikhonenko, Paspalj, Komazec, Karnišovas, Sigalas
                        PF - Schrempf, Rađa, Volkov, Savić, Einikis
                        C - Sabonis, Divac, Fasoulas, Vranković, Longley

I've probably missed some obvious names for the hypothetical 1992 international team but all ther main names are there...

Comment

Dušan Ivković is lunatic!!! The former Yugoslavia didn't have real chances to win against the Dream Team. The 1992 USA Roster were, simply, the best team ever to play the game. It was unfair for their opponents, trying to compete against the USA greatness...
                          https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

Hey dudes,

Let me say something about the 1992 team.

Let me just start with saying i am not 20, i am old enough to remember 1992 and the games. That said I would have to go with this team only because of the way the players have devolped over the last few years. They are so much more athletic and trained and toned. Also any team in todays era with Kobe, Kidd, LJ, Howard, Paul, Wade, Boozer all at this stage of their careers is unstopable. They are all in their prime and Kobe has devoloped into a great shooter, defender, loves the pressure and has become a better team player, LJ is simply amazing gettting to the hoop and Howard isnt called Super man for nothing, Redd is one of the best pure shooter i have ever seen. Booozer has become a monster on the boards and down low, Princes D is un parrelled today. They are all at the right points in their careers for the challenge..
                            Magic and Bird are still 2 of my favorite players of all time but by the time the 1992 team played they were kinda getting older, this team today is young and hungery
                            Last edited by rikhardur; 05-27-2010, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Sports Legend Revealed: Did the U.S. vote against sending NBA players to the 1992 Olympics?
                              Sacramento Kings
                              HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Magic Johnson discusses Dream Team's superiority to Redeem Team

Check out this article posted on FoxSports by LA Times:

Magic Johnson discusses Dream Team's superiority to Redeem Team

The original Dream Team will always have a special place in my heart (after my 1990s Knicks) as it was a Team of Basketball Immortals who became an Immortal Basketball Team.

No team will ever be able to match up to this team especially when you consider that fact that the team has the 3 best players in the modern era (1980 to Present) of basketball.
                                "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
                                -El Padrino

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information