Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of the 1992 Dream Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Srle
    Its too bad they never played against Yugoslavia. That was shame. IT could have been hellava game.
    I would like to see Yugoslavia or the old CCCP from 88. Those teams were good.

ahh teh band is is The Grateful Dead
    Last edited by rikhardur; 07-23-2008, 06:29 PM. Reason: Posts merged: short time between consecutive posts
    My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
    1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
    1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
    1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
    1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
    1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
    1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
    1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Too many people thought the 1992 team was the greatest ever, but look at their competition; 2nd place Croatia did'nt even exist as a country one year earlier. Yougoslavia was banned from competing(and they proved to be the best team in Europe during the 90's).
      The political uphevel took it's toll on eastern europe at that time played havoc among basketball as well. So I think the US dream team should of stuck around and play someone more worthy, like maybe a east euro all-star team or even give the collegiates a try, or even play a game against the NBA champs, before anybody calls this the greatest team in history

Comment

Originally posted by hotjam_2
        Too many people thought the 1992 team was the greatest ever, but look at their competition; 2nd place Croatia did'nt even exist as a country one year earlier. Yougoslavia was banned from competing(and they proved to be the best team in Europe during the 90's).
        The political uphevel took it's toll on eastern europe at that time played havoc among basketball as well. So I think the US dream team should of stuck around and play someone more worthy, like maybe a east euro all-star team or even give the collegiates a try, or even play a game against the NBA champs, before anybody calls this the greatest team in history
        The NBA champs included players of the Dream Team.

Besides when you compare teams, you should do it in historical context. Back then there was no one who could compete with them.
        PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious
          The NBA champs included players of the Dream Team.

Besides when you compare teams, you should do it in historical context. Back then there was no one who could compete with them.
          Hmm 92 Bulls vs. Dream Team? Well Jordan and Pippen cancel themselves out, so I'm going with the team with the better bench.

Really it's not just that they were dominant against other teams (they didn't take a single timeout in the tournament for christ sake), it's the staggering amount of talent. Excusing Christian Laettner it's a hall of fame team from top to bottom, from what's considered by many the NBA's greatest era 80s-early 90s.
          Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

DRAM TEAM in 92 best team to ever grace a basketball court in the history of the game end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Young_Blood
              DRAM TEAM in 92 best team to ever grace a basketball court in the history of the game end of story.
              Not quite, if they only came together 1 year earlier and played the then unified Youglsavian world and euro champs, it might have been a differened story. I'm not saying they would of lost but they would of come down to earth a bit. maybe only win in the 10-20 point range

the starting lineup of the Yugo team would of been(all in their prime)

F Tony Kucoc
              F Dino Radja
              C Vlade Divac
              G Drazen Petrovic
              G Danilovic

remember,
              1) a weaker yugo team beat team USA on the way to winning the 2002 world championships.
              2) a weaker yugo team kept even with team USA all the way through the 2nd half midway point before sucumbing in the 1996 Olympic finals

Comment

History denied us the possibility of witnessing one of the greatest clashes of all time. Whenever I think of the Dream Team, I think of a dreamed game against a united Yugoslavia. Those guys were a real dream team in Europe, dominating everybody else at will for the previous three years, and still yet to peak (the core was born in 66-70, with Petro being born in 1964). Probably the US Team would have won (no guarantee, still), but I can see the Yugos giving them a very good run for their money, and now the perception of that US Team would probably be different.

I saw a couple of years ago the final against Croatia, and I didn't feel overwhelmed by the US level of play. Their defense had pretty much the same virtues and flaws that we see today (they executed a great pressure on the ball when they wanted, being able to outrun everybody, but their defensive rotations were mediocre, IMO). With a team mentally prepared to compete, big and athletic, and able to really dominate the ball, it would have been a different story.

Comment

I could not have expressed it better than Genjuro. The 92 Dream Team was arguably the best team ever to walk on a playground, but because some of the best players of all times were in it and not because they crashed everyone around.

I will say it again, playing against completely amazed players, the physical condition of which compares to today's junior teams, was not exactly fair. Still, this team is the one that truly spread basketball around the planet and this is one more reason why it does deserve to be called the best team of all times.

Comment

Originally posted by hotjam_2
                    Not quite, if they only came together 1 year earlier and played the then unified Youglsavian world and euro champs, it might have been a differened story. I'm not saying they would of lost but they would of come down to earth a bit. maybe only win in the 10-20 point range

the starting lineup of the Yugo team would of been(all in their prime)

F Tony Kucoc
                    F Dino Radja
                    C Vlade Divac
                    G Drazen Petrovic
                    G Danilovic

remember,
                    1) a weaker yugo team beat team USA on the way to winning the 2002 world championships.
                    2) a weaker yugo team kept even with team USA all the way through the 2nd half midway point before sucumbing in the 1996 Olympic finals
                    That Yugo team in 91 would have given the dream team a good run for their money no dought, but in the end when the last buzzer goes off the dream team most likly would have won, and won by at least 10+ or just a little under. No disrespect to the Yugo team they had a great line up and great overall game. But in the end if you would line the roster side by side mesure each player 1 v 1 by position the Dream team had more talent, and depth in their roster. I just cant see any team so far comparing anything near what the dream team had in both talen and chemstry. Oh and someone made a post about Barkly barking off wile he play hey when your preatty much destroying oppenants you have the right to some smack talk. It happens in every sport and in just about every game it what makes sports so great the ability to say your better and back it up or get shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown
                      Hmm 92 Bulls vs. Dream Team? Well Jordan and Pippen cancel themselves out, so I'm going with the team with the better bench.

Really it's not just that they were dominant against other teams (they didn't take a single timeout in the tournament for christ sake), it's the staggering amount of talent. Excusing Christian Laettner it's a hall of fame team from top to bottom, from what's considered by many the NBA's greatest era 80s-early 90s.
                      Marv Albert said during one of the gmaes (think Croatia for gold) that the only team he would give a chan e at beating the DT was the Bulls with Pippen and Jordan. Honestly, no and in my opinion, what an idiotic remark.
                      My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                      1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                      1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                      1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                      1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                      1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                      1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                      1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

The dream team barely tried, they didnt even call a single timeout and was beating everyone up by 40 points. If you think any other team in the world could stand even a remote chance against a serious dream team, you obviously need to go get your head checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthkiller
                          The dream team barely tried, they didnt even call a single timeout and was beating everyone up by 40 points. If you think any other team in the world could stand even a remote chance against a serious dream team, you obviously need to go get your head checked.
                          I agree. That Yugoslavia team would be nice, but three of those players did play against the Dream Team and didn't do anything special, except for Petrovic. Kukoc was notoriously abused in the game against the Dream Team. No way they keep the game within 20 points.

Comment

OT, but just a little
                            sigpic

Comment

"Clyde Drexler plays an entire game without touching the ground once"

"A tearful Karl Malone clutches his gold medal and insists the feeling is better than winning an NBA championship as his fellow Dream Teamers hide their grins and nod supportively"

Those 2 lines just killed me.

Comment

I just hate statement of many American coaches and personnel that USA Team from 1992 inspire whole world to play basketball . As far I know Yugoslavia was winning everything at that time ,before break up of that country,especially in the 80's. And there wasnt that many of people who were inspired by USA basketball players. They were inspired mostly by basketball players in Yugoslavia.
                                UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information