Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of the 1992 Dream Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This team could have even been better if you replaced Laettner/Mullin with Isiah Thomas/Hakeem Olajuwon. At that point, I believe the worst player on the team, historically speaking, would have been Clyde Drexler.

Three other points I'd like to make- Magic and Bird were past their primes and were defensive liabilities. They didn't look that great in this tournament (I've watched all the games).

Also, as for the Yugoslavia vs. Dream Team argument, I'm sure that the Yugoslavia team could have given this Dream Team as good of a run as anyone but it wouldn't have been close. In watching these games I only felt like the U.S. team "turned it on" and played at their highest level for small spurts every game. Had they played Yugoslavia, Jordan and Coach Daly would have had everyone on the team ready to go from the opening whistle.

Last point- Barkley's a disrespectful idiot. I'm glad Jordan dominated him in the 90's, can you imagine if Barkley had dominated the league, we'd have been hearing all that trash talking day after day.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
      This team could have even been better if you replaced Laettner/Mullin with Isiah Thomas/Hakeem Olajuwon. At that point, I believe the worst player on the team, historically speaking, would have been Clyde Drexler.

Three other points I'd like to make- Magic and Bird were past their primes and were defensive liabilities. They didn't look that great in this tournament (I've watched all the games).

Also, as for the Yugoslavia vs. Dream Team argument, I'm sure that the Yugoslavia team could have given this Dream Team as good of a run as anyone but it wouldn't have been close. In watching these games I only felt like the U.S. team "turned it on" and played at their highest level for small spurts every game. Had they played Yugoslavia, Jordan and Coach Daly would have had everyone on the team ready to go from the opening whistle.

Last point- Barkley's a disrespectful idiot. I'm glad Jordan dominated him in the 90's, can you imagine if Barkley had dominated the league, we'd have been hearing all that trash talking day after day.
      I started thinking about this team some more and had a couple more thoughts:

By my estimation, if you took out Laettner and Mullin and added Thomas and Olajuwon you would have had 11 of the top 30 players of all time on one team (I don't consider Drexler a top 30 player, maybe top 40-45). Also, nearly everyone on the team except for Magic and Bird were in their primes in 1992. Robinson may have been a little before his prime. Truly one of the great years talent wise in NBA history, perhaps the greatest.

I also got to thinking about comparing this team to other U.S. teams since '92. I would personally rank the teams in the following order:

1) 1992
      2) 1996
      3) 2008
      4) 1994
      5) 2000
      6) 2006
      7) 2010
      8) 2002
      9) 2004

If the 2012 team actually plays and all of our main guys commit they could challenge the '96 or '08 teams on paper.

Comment

[/QUOTE] "We don't come here to live with them, we come here to beat them"..or words to that effect.[/QUOTE]

Well, they really were there to beat them. They came as a participants. Stock just did not answer the question directly. It's like saying "Yeah we're here, but not to mingle with them, 'we come here to beat them'.."

Comment

Originally posted by Srle View Post
          I just hate statement of many American coaches and personnel that USA Team from 1992 inspire whole world to play basketball . As far I know Yugoslavia was winning everything at that time ,before break up of that country,especially in the 80's. And there wasnt that many of people who were inspired by USA basketball players. They were inspired mostly by basketball players in Yugoslavia.
          maybe Yugoslavs are good basketball players, maybe you did inspire others to play basketball. but hey, you're talking about the world men. and Dream Team DID INSPIRE THE "WORLD"; yes you are good, yes you inspired, but mostly the damage you did was only in Europe or some other countries. Im not saying it is small. but crediting your country as the promoter of basketball to the world is insane. USA invented basketball from a CANADIAN teacher. know the roots. Yugoslavs might be better. but DT is way above yours men.

and you were saying you have been winning everything. what's your EVERYTHING? OLYMPICS? World Basketball Championships?

Olympics:
          USA - 13g 1s 2b 16total
          combined- 3g 8s 4b 15 totals

USSR- 2g 4s 3b 9total
          Yugs- 1g 4s 1b 6total

WBC:
          USA: 4g 3s 4b 11totals
          USSR: 3g 3s 2b 8totals
          Yugs: 3g 3s 2b 8totals

see the difference? it is called WORLD DOMINATION.

unless, you have your own tournament on the summer of 92, maybe you can say Yugoslavs inspires the world to play basketball.

You know why coaches said that DT inspired world to "play" basketball? because after they saw the DT played, they put their shoes on, took their ball, went to the gym, and practice. thinking someday, "I have to beat the USA".

that's called INSPIRATION.

see the effects now, European countries were able to be at par, somehow with the americans.

because they were inspired.

not by Yugoslavs

but of the DT.

"God Like"

Comment

actually, there's just one reason. JORDAN.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your expertise in this well-written article.​ Solar
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information