This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poland Can Count On Gortat This Summer

Marcin Gortat will play for Poland again this summer and do his best to make sure the national team returns to the EuroBasket Final Round in 2013.

The NBA Lockout prevented the Phoenix Suns center from representing his country at EuroBasket 2011 in Lithuania, where they beat Portugal and Turkey but did not progress to the second stage of the competition.

He'll be in the squad this year, though, when Poland face Finland, Switzerland, Albania and Belgium in Qualification Round Group E.

"I am coming to this summer very positive and I can assure you that I want to come to the national team and represent our country," Gortat said to mg13.com.pl.

Saying he looks at the qualifying campaign as a chance to make amends for Poland's defeat to Belgium in their vital game for first place in the group in 2010, Gortat said: "For my part, I want to join the team as soon as possible..."

"Now I am already in Poland. I came to the country to take part in family events at which I wanted to appear.

"I'm glad that I can use this time to meet with family. Now we can stay a little time.

"But I'll be here a few days, after which I'll return to Orlando to begin preparations for next season."

LOOKING TO IMPROVE

The national team will come after Gortat puts in a lot of hours on the court, and in the weight room, back in the USA.

The 'Polish Machine' teamed up often with Phoenix's point guard Steve Nash on the pick-and-roll this year when he grew into a terrific starting center after serving as Dwight Howard's back-up in Orlando.

But Gortat wants to get better.

"I've got to become a better post-up player, I've got to create more fouls, and I'm 100% sure I'm going to have to finish everything around the basket a little bit harder," he told the Arizona Republic newspaper.

"I've got to forget about being a finesse player, I've got to forget that I was able to work out with Hakeem Olajuwon (last summer) and all the Dream Shakes and left and right hooks.

"Sometimes I've got to be a simple basketball player and dunk the ball."

His aims, he says, are "just get better and bigger. That's it, that's the main thing."
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

• Aleš Pipan extended until the end of Eurobasket 2013.
      Artificial Nature

Comment

• Dirk Bauermann new head coach

Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

• Unable to represent the country in 2012 after a hard season with BC Khimki in Russia, Kelati says a return this year is possible.

"Last year, I decided to skip out because I had a tough year at Khimki and decided to rest my knee,” he said to FIBA.com.

"We'll see. It's something that's in the back of my mind.

“I felt bad that I wasn't there for them last summer but I was there watching them as they qualified (for the EuroBasket).

"I'd like to play in the EuroBasket again.

"It's always about how I feel at the end of the year because these European years, they wear you out, especially with my body, my knee.”
          Artificial Nature

Comment

• Poland announced a 21-men preliminary roster for the 2013 Eurobasket.

Lukasz Koszarek (PG, 1.87, 1984) ‒ Asseco Prokom Gdynia / Zastal Zielona Góra
            Krzysztof Szubarga (PG, 1.78, 1984) ‒ WTK Anwil Wroclawek
            Lukasz Wisniewski (G, 1.86, 1984) ‒ AZS Koszalin
            Michal Michalak (SG, 1.96, 1993) ‒ Trefl Sopot
            Piotr Pamula (SG, 1.94, 1990) ‒ Asseco Prokom Gdynia
            Adam Waczynski (SG, 1.98, 1989) ‒ Trefl Sopot
            Przemyslaw Zamojski (SG, 1.93, 1986) ‒ Trefl Sopot / Asseco Prokom Gdynia
            Michal Chylinski (SG/SF, 1.96, 1986) ‒ KKS Turow Zgorzelec
            Jakub Dloniak (SG/SF, 1.93, 1983) ‒ KKS Siarka Tarnobrzeg
            Thomas Kelati (SG/SF, 1.96, 1982) ‒ Valencia Basket (ESP)
            Mateusz Ponitka (SG/SF, 1.96, 1993) ‒ Asseco Prokom Gdynia
            Olek Czyz (F, 2.01, 1990) ‒ Virtus Roma (ITA)
            Michal Ignerski (F, 2.07, 1980) ‒ Dinamo Basket Sassari (ITA)
            Tomasz Gielo (PF, 2.06, 1993) ‒ Liberty (NCAA)
            Damian Kulig (PF/C, 2.05, 1987) ‒ KKS Turow Zgorzelec
            Maciej Lampe (PF/C, 2.11, 1985) ‒ Saski Baskonia (ESP)
            Szymon Szewczyk (PF/C, 2.09, 1982) ‒ Reyer Venezia Mestre (ITA)
            Marcin Gortat (C, 2.14, 1984) ‒ Phoenix Suns (NBA)
            Adam Hrycaniuk (C, 2.06, 1984) ‒ Asseco Prokom Gdynia / Valencia Basket (ESP)
            Przemyslaw Karnowski (C, 2.14, 1993) ‒ Gonzaga (NCAA)
            Jakub Wojciechowski (C, 2.14, 1990) ‒ PMS Torino (ITA)

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information