Angola National Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angola National Team

The most powerful NT in Africa, I thought it was time to have a thread dedicated to it

The Angolan NT is now is Spain for a 20-day preparation for the Olympics before taking part in the Stankovic Cup in China and the Diamond Cup in Macau. The selected players are:

Kikas Gomes
    Olímpio Cipriano
    Carlos Almeida
    Felizardo Ambrósio
    Vlademir Ricardino
    Abdel Bouckar
    Eduardo Mingas
    Milton Barros
    Victor Muzadi
    Carlos Morais
    Domingos Bonifácio
    Leonel Paulo
    Francisco Horácio
    Idelfonso Quiteculo

Veteran Miguel Lutonda (37) alledgedly retired from the NT, but the Angolan federation is trying to convince him to get back.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Originally posted by rikhardur
    The most powerful NT in Africa, I thought it was time to have a thread dedicated to it
    Thanks, Rick. As you might know, I'm a big fan of the Angolan NT. I think everybody is. I saw Angola get crushed by Spain in Indianapolis. It was the most pleasurable game I ever attended. Angolan fans came from all over the Midwest (as did Spaniards). They brought their flags and banners. Even before the game, tons of them drove around the downtown waving flags and cheering. I couldn't help but cheer with them. Even the Spaniards cheered with the Angolans, and not out of sympathy. They cheered because of the sheer joy of watching fans have fun.

After the game, Lutonda, Costa, and practically the whole squad came to the stands and danced with their fans. It was just great. They really had so much energy.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

I like them a lot also. I still remember the game against Germany on WC, they played great despite they lost to Germany after 3OT. I know Angola has the pro league in their country, but player like Olímpio Cipriano should really try and play in Europe... he has all the talent needed.

Comment

Angola's play was the revelation of the 2006 WC IMO. Hopefully they will surprise someone in China too.
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Angola has been the dominant powerhouse in basketball in Africa for the past decade. I mean it's not easy to consistently be able to beat teams like Nigeria,Egypt,and especially Senegal (Currently has 3 players in the NBA: DeSagana Diop, New Jersey Nets; Mouhammed “Saer” Sene, Seattle SuperSonics; and Cheikh Samb, Detroit Pistons).

Does anyone know who is their current head coach cuz their last coaches Mario Leonel Palma (POR) and assistant coach Mario Gomes (POR) are currently with the Jordanian National Team?

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80
            Does anyone know who is their current head coach cuz their last coaches Mario Leonel Palma (POR) and assistant coach Mario Gomes (POR) are currently with the Jordanian National Team?
            It's the famous Angolan coach Alberto de Carvalho, known as "Ginguba"
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Angola, on the contrary of most African teams whose best players are tall and strong but low skilled big men, has it strength in their backcourts but lack of size. Lutonda is a PG, Cipriano a very small SG, etc... Add a good PF in Joaquim Gomes, who played in Netherlands before coming back home, and beat matchup against Nowitzki in 2006.

But, their strength is in the fact all their players play in the top or second team of their league in Luanda. Then, their chemistery is great.
              I mean, Senegal starting PG Babou Cisse is playing in 3rd French div, and only puts up 16pts 8 assists there. He was an average PG in Pro A. Senegal has no shooter. Angola has many players able to cenvert from 3. Nigeria has no PG, and hardly has a team in the real meaning, but a bunch of NCAA players that never went to homeland. Egypt, well, don't know anything about them.
              Angola as a real Basketball organization, even last year, at home for the CAN, they sent police to disturb last training of Cameroon who finished second.

Anyway, seems that only 7 players remain from 2006.
              Last edited by rikhardur; 06-26-2008, 10:51 AM.
              It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Yo Damelo!
                I agree with u bro.
                The chemistry and team play of Angola has always been one of the best.
                The reason why I mentioned Nigeria, Senegal and Egypt and not Cameroon or Cape Verde (The two teams that will be playing in the pre-Olympics tournament) is because these 3 teams were the ones that were always qualifying in the 80's and 90's to the World Championships.

Comment

Sorry if you felt I attacked you or anythin, that wasn't my word at all. Also, i don't know much about Cameroon or Cape Verde, so i can't say who they have, etc...

Just i think Joakim Ekanga Ehawa for Cameroon, it was told he helped a lot building the team as the Federation didn't try... sic.
                  It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Yo Damelo!
                    No problem bro. Thanks for ur reply

Comment

Originally posted by elaj
                      I like them a lot also. I still remember the game against Germany on WC, they played great despite they lost to Germany after 3OT.
                      What a fantastic game. I was disappointed that Angola lost. I didn't see the game, but according to all reports it was the most intense game in many, many years!
                      I know Angola has the pro league in their country, but player like Olímpio Cipriano should really try and play in Europe... he has all the talent needed.
                      I think a lot of their players could play in the bigger European leagues. They're certainly talented enough.
                      Originally posted by damelo
                      Angola, on the contrary of most African teams whose best players are tall and strong but low skilled big men, has it strength in their backcourts but lack of size. Lutonda is a PG, Cipriano a very small SG, etc... Add a good PF in Joaquim Gomes, who played in Netherlands before coming back home, and beat matchup against Nowitzki in 2006.
                      You're right. They are a small team on the international scene. Gomes is a real monster player. We got to watch him a lot at Valporaiso U. He had a legitimate chance at coming to the NBA. I think he could still squeeze onto a team through the summer leagues, but I guess he has other priorities.
                      But, their strength is in the fact all their players play in the top or second team of their league in Luanda. Then, their chemistery is great.
                      No doubt they've got fantastic chemistry. In the past, I think all of their players were on either the Petro Luanda club or the August First club. They've also got plenty of players who go up to Portugal and compete there.
                      Anyway, seems that only 7 players remain from 2006.
                      So this is the start of a new generation of Angolan players. Let's hope they can make Coimbra, Conceicão, and all the other greats proud.
                      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair
                        I think a lot of their players could play in the bigger European leagues. They're certainly talented enough.
                        I just wonder how many of them can get Portuguese citizenship.

Angola is the team that is perpetually underestimated, and every time they get a better advantage out of it.

PS: mvblair, love your World Champions Dynamo signature XD

Comment

Originally posted by alermac
                          I just wonder how many of them can get Portuguese citizenship.
                          Not many really. The ones playing in Portugal play as foreigners. It's not as easy to get Portuguese citizenship as, for instance, with Brazilians.
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Spain B 77 Angola 75

In their first preparation game for the olympics Angola loosed 77/75 against
                            team Spain B.

ESPAÑA, 77 (26, 17, 21, 13): Txemi Urtasun (18), Pau Ribas (5), Rafa Martínez (3), Albert Miralles (14), David Doblas (11) –cinco inicial-, Mario Fernández (3), Sergi Llull (4), Javier Beirán (0), Iván García (3), Nacho Martín (3), Albert Montcasi (5), José Ángel Antelo (2) y Guillem Rubio (6).

ANGOLA, 75 (26, 14, 15, 20): Costa (8), Morais (9), Gomes (12), Muzadi (2), Almeida (4) –cinco inicial-, Cipriano (21), Barros (4), Costa (0), Gerónimo (0), Ambrosio (4), Bonifacio (2), Horario (0), Kiteculo (2), Mingas (9) y Paulo (4).

Comment

Tight game, it looks like. Those are some pretty good Spaniards on that team.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information