Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angola National Team

Default Angola National Team

The most powerful NT in Africa, I thought it was time to have a thread dedicated to it

The Angolan NT is now is Spain for a 20-day preparation for the Olympics before taking part in the Stankovic Cup in China and the Diamond Cup in Macau. The selected players are:

Kikas Gomes
    Olímpio Cipriano
    Carlos Almeida
    Felizardo Ambrósio
    Vlademir Ricardino
    Abdel Bouckar
    Eduardo Mingas
    Milton Barros
    Victor Muzadi
    Carlos Morais
    Domingos Bonifácio
    Leonel Paulo
    Francisco Horácio
    Idelfonso Quiteculo

Veteran Miguel Lutonda (37) alledgedly retired from the NT, but the Angolan federation is trying to convince him to get back.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur
    The most powerful NT in Africa, I thought it was time to have a thread dedicated to it
    Thanks, Rick. As you might know, I'm a big fan of the Angolan NT. I think everybody is. I saw Angola get crushed by Spain in Indianapolis. It was the most pleasurable game I ever attended. Angolan fans came from all over the Midwest (as did Spaniards). They brought their flags and banners. Even before the game, tons of them drove around the downtown waving flags and cheering. I couldn't help but cheer with them. Even the Spaniards cheered with the Angolans, and not out of sympathy. They cheered because of the sheer joy of watching fans have fun.

After the game, Lutonda, Costa, and practically the whole squad came to the stands and danced with their fans. It was just great. They really had so much energy.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

I like them a lot also. I still remember the game against Germany on WC, they played great despite they lost to Germany after 3OT. I know Angola has the pro league in their country, but player like Olímpio Cipriano should really try and play in Europe... he has all the talent needed.

Angola's play was the revelation of the 2006 WC IMO. Hopefully they will surprise someone in China too.

Angola has been the dominant powerhouse in basketball in Africa for the past decade. I mean it's not easy to consistently be able to beat teams like Nigeria,Egypt,and especially Senegal (Currently has 3 players in the NBA: DeSagana Diop, New Jersey Nets; Mouhammed “Saer” Sene, Seattle SuperSonics; and Cheikh Samb, Detroit Pistons).

Does anyone know who is their current head coach cuz their last coaches Mario Leonel Palma (POR) and assistant coach Mario Gomes (POR) are currently with the Jordanian National Team?

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80
    Does anyone know who is their current head coach cuz their last coaches Mario Leonel Palma (POR) and assistant coach Mario Gomes (POR) are currently with the Jordanian National Team?
    It's the famous Angolan coach Alberto de Carvalho, known as "Ginguba"
    Artificial Nature

Angola, on the contrary of most African teams whose best players are tall and strong but low skilled big men, has it strength in their backcourts but lack of size. Lutonda is a PG, Cipriano a very small SG, etc... Add a good PF in Joaquim Gomes, who played in Netherlands before coming back home, and beat matchup against Nowitzki in 2006.

But, their strength is in the fact all their players play in the top or second team of their league in Luanda. Then, their chemistery is great.
    I mean, Senegal starting PG Babou Cisse is playing in 3rd French div, and only puts up 16pts 8 assists there. He was an average PG in Pro A. Senegal has no shooter. Angola has many players able to cenvert from 3. Nigeria has no PG, and hardly has a team in the real meaning, but a bunch of NCAA players that never went to homeland. Egypt, well, don't know anything about them.
    Angola as a real Basketball organization, even last year, at home for the CAN, they sent police to disturb last training of Cameroon who finished second.

Anyway, seems that only 7 players remain from 2006.
    Last edited by rikhardur; 06-26-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Yo Damelo!
    I agree with u bro.
    The chemistry and team play of Angola has always been one of the best.
    The reason why I mentioned Nigeria, Senegal and Egypt and not Cameroon or Cape Verde (The two teams that will be playing in the pre-Olympics tournament) is because these 3 teams were the ones that were always qualifying in the 80's and 90's to the World Championships.

Sorry if you felt I attacked you or anythin, that wasn't my word at all. Also, i don't know much about Cameroon or Cape Verde, so i can't say who they have, etc...

Just i think Joakim Ekanga Ehawa for Cameroon, it was told he helped a lot building the team as the Federation didn't try... sic.
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Yo Damelo!
    No problem bro. Thanks for ur reply

Quote Originally Posted by elaj
    I like them a lot also. I still remember the game against Germany on WC, they played great despite they lost to Germany after 3OT.
    What a fantastic game. I was disappointed that Angola lost. I didn't see the game, but according to all reports it was the most intense game in many, many years!
    I know Angola has the pro league in their country, but player like Olímpio Cipriano should really try and play in Europe... he has all the talent needed.
    I think a lot of their players could play in the bigger European leagues. They're certainly talented enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by damelo
    Angola, on the contrary of most African teams whose best players are tall and strong but low skilled big men, has it strength in their backcourts but lack of size. Lutonda is a PG, Cipriano a very small SG, etc... Add a good PF in Joaquim Gomes, who played in Netherlands before coming back home, and beat matchup against Nowitzki in 2006.
    You're right. They are a small team on the international scene. Gomes is a real monster player. We got to watch him a lot at Valporaiso U. He had a legitimate chance at coming to the NBA. I think he could still squeeze onto a team through the summer leagues, but I guess he has other priorities.
    But, their strength is in the fact all their players play in the top or second team of their league in Luanda. Then, their chemistery is great.
    No doubt they've got fantastic chemistry. In the past, I think all of their players were on either the Petro Luanda club or the August First club. They've also got plenty of players who go up to Portugal and compete there.
    Anyway, seems that only 7 players remain from 2006.
    So this is the start of a new generation of Angolan players. Let's hope they can make Coimbra, Conceicão, and all the other greats proud.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair
    I think a lot of their players could play in the bigger European leagues. They're certainly talented enough.
    I just wonder how many of them can get Portuguese citizenship.

Angola is the team that is perpetually underestimated, and every time they get a better advantage out of it.

PS: mvblair, love your World Champions Dynamo signature XD

Quote Originally Posted by alermac
    I just wonder how many of them can get Portuguese citizenship.
    Not many really. The ones playing in Portugal play as foreigners. It's not as easy to get Portuguese citizenship as, for instance, with Brazilians.
    Artificial Nature

Default Spain B 77 Angola 75

In their first preparation game for the olympics Angola loosed 77/75 against
    team Spain B.

ESPAÑA, 77 (26, 17, 21, 13): Txemi Urtasun (18), Pau Ribas (5), Rafa Martínez (3), Albert Miralles (14), David Doblas (11) –cinco inicial-, Mario Fernández (3), Sergi Llull (4), Javier Beirán (0), Iván García (3), Nacho Martín (3), Albert Montcasi (5), José Ángel Antelo (2) y Guillem Rubio (6).

ANGOLA, 75 (26, 14, 15, 20): Costa (8), Morais (9), Gomes (12), Muzadi (2), Almeida (4) –cinco inicial-, Cipriano (21), Barros (4), Costa (0), Gerónimo (0), Ambrosio (4), Bonifacio (2), Horario (0), Kiteculo (2), Mingas (9) y Paulo (4).

Tight game, it looks like. Those are some pretty good Spaniards on that team.

SELECCIÓN PROMESAS MASCULINA

Las Promesas españolas pudieron con la Angola olímpica (77-75)

7/10/2008 La Selección Española Promesas masculina se impuso por 77-75 a la selección de Angola que compartirá grupo con España en los Juegos Olímpicos de Pekín 2008 en partido amistoso celebrado a puerta cerrada en en el Pabellón San Pablo de Sevilla.

Enlaces Relacionados

Mañana de experiencias imborrables para los más jóvenes

Comunicación FEB
    La Selección Promesas que dirige Alfred Julbe ‘enseñó’ a la Absoluta de Aíto García Reneses el camino para vencer a una Angola que será rival de España en los Juegos Olímpicos de Pekín 2008. La clave, evitar el juego físico de los africanos y explotar la superioridad técnica.

El combinado Promesas empezó con ganas su primer amistoso de este verano. Después de siete días de concentración en Sevilla, los de Alfred Julbe salieron a la pista con muchas ganas de disfrutar de la competición y con un gran despliegue ofensivo consiguieron un parcial inicial de 12-0.

El factor sorpresa duró poco. Angola impuso un baloncesto muy físico, con una fuerte presión defensiva sobre los bases españoles y, poco a poco, se igualó el partido (26-26, min. 10).
    A partir de ese momento la igualdad fue la tónica dominante en el partido, con mínimas diferencias para uno y otro conjunto, dependiendo de la agresividad defensiva con la que se empleaban los angoleños. Al llegar al último cuarto España consiguió una renta de 6 puntos, pero cuando parecía que podía ser suficiente para decantar el partido del lado español, Angola volvió a apretar defensivamente y propició un final igualadísimo. En el último minuto, un tiro libre de Txemi Urtasun (máximo anotador del equipo español con 18 puntos) colocó el 77-75 en el marcador, que a la postre sería definitivo, ya que Cipriano no acertó con el triple que intentó sobre la bocina para darle la vuelta al marcador.

La Selección Promesas Masculina seguirá trabajando en Sevilla antes de trasladarse el próximo viernes 11 de julio a la localidad portuguesa de Evora, donde el sábado se enfrentará a Portugal en un segundo amistoso.

ESPAÑA, 77 (26, 17, 21, 13): Txemi Urtasun (18), Pau Ribas (5), Rafa Martínez (3), Albert Miralles (14), David Doblas (11) –cinco inicial-, Mario Fernández (3), Sergi Llull (4), Javier Beirán (0), Iván García (3), Nacho Martín (3), Albert Montcasi (5), José Ángel Antelo (2) y Guillem Rubio (6).
    ANGOLA, 75 (26, 14, 15, 20): Costa (8), Morais (9), Gomes (12), Muzadi (2), Almeida (4) –cinco inicial-, Cipriano (21), Barros (4), Costa (0), Gerónimo (0), Ambrosio (4), Bonifacio (2), Horario (0), Kiteculo (2), Mingas (9) y Paulo (4).
    ARBITROS: Francisco Barrios y Ricardo Ruiz

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:

Note...Of course, this is not a literal translation. Words and grammer can sometimes get lost in translation. There are some portions of the original text that have been modified: i.e. words added or taken out so that it makes sense in English.

Las Promesas españolas pudieron con la Angola olímpica (77-75)
    Best translation: The promising hopefuls can [beat] Angolan Olympians (77-75)

In a closed door match that celebrated a friendly party/contest at Seville's San Pablo Pavilion, the promising Spanish men's selection prevailed over Angola, 77-75. The Angolans share a group with Spain (A) in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

In a related connection

Under Alfred Julbe's direction, the team demonstrated a resolute way Aito Garcia Reneses' [national team] can defeat Angola, a rival to Spain (A) at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. The key is to avoid the physical game of the Africans and operate using technical superiority.

Being the first friendly of the summer for the promising hopefuls, they began with desire. After training for a week in Seville, Alfred Julbe's team eagerly enjoyed the competition as they went to the track, obtaining an initial 12-0 lead from a great offensive deployment.

The surprise factor lasted briefly. Little by little, the Angolans began imposing a very physical style of basketball, with a strong defensive pressure on the Spanish baseline (by the 10th min., the score was equaled, 26-26)

Once the Angolans became defensively aggressive, from that point on, equality was the dominant tonic (or theme) of the contest, with neither team
    able to seperate from the other.

Once the fourth quarter arrived, Spain secured a 6 point lead, but just as it seemed their lead was sufficient to "pour off the party" --end the contest--Angola countered by tightening up defensively and evened the score. In the last minute, Txemi Urtasun's (Spain's top scorer with 18 points) free throws placed the score at 77-75, definitively ending the game after Cipriano guessed wrong by failing on his 3 point attempt at the horn.

The men's promising selection will continue working in Seville before relocating next Friday, 11th, to the Portuguese locality of Evora, where next Saturday they face Portugal in a second friendly.

SPAIN, 77 (26, 17, 21, 13): Txemi Urtasun (18), Pau Ribas (5), Rafa Martinez (3), Albert Miralles (14), David Doblas (11) - five initial, Mario Fernandez (3), Sergi Llull (4), Javier Beirán (0), Iván Garci'a (3), Nacho Martín (3), Albert Montcasi (5), Jose Angel Antelo (2) and Blond Guillem (6).
    ANGOLA, 75 (26, 14, 15, 20): Coast (8), Morais (9), Gomes (12), Muzadi (2), Almeida (4) - five initial, Cipriano (21), Mud (4), Coast (0), Gerónimo (0), Ambrosio (4), Bonifacio (2), Schedule (0), Kiteculo (2), Mingas (9) and Paulo (4).
    ARBITRATORS: Francisco Districts and Ricardo Ruiz
    Last edited by Federoy; 07-11-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks for the article, Federoy. It´s good to read about the game. I´m glad Cipriano played well. Unfortunately, it seems like the 3rd quarter defecit was just too much for the Angolans.

Default Angola Beat Russia in Stankovic Tournament

This cannot be the real Russia...

Luanda, 07/17 – The Angolan National Senior Males team of Basketball thrashed their Russian counterparts by 89-70, in the first round match of the inter-continental tournament dubbed “Borislav Stankovic Cup”, taking place in China.

In the first half, Angola were already beating Russia by 45-39, having as one of the main strategies, a pressing defence on the opponent physically seen as stronger.

The African champions will rest on Friday to play on Saturday against the host team (China), closing their participation in the tournament on Sunday against Serbia.

Any boxscore of the game? Who played for Russia?
    Artificial Nature

YES!! Absolutely wondeful!!! I can´t wait to find more information on this game. Zlim, everybody, we need some statistics, a capture, some video, something....

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast